Anybody been through AA?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People who work in the bar and liquor store bizness tell me that no/low alcohol brews are pretty much exclusively sold to one type of customer, the "dry drunk". Someone who hasn't actually gotten intoxicated for a very long time but still badly needs that hops and barely pacifier.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My best advice came from a grouchy old bastard several years ago.

Find a sponsor. Not someone who sugar coats stuff. A mean old bastard who hurts your feelings when you step outta line.

My sponsor always told me I had two choices. I could work the steps, or die.

We did a step a month for several years. In January it was step one......in December, step twelve.

dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welp, I messed up last night. Made it almost two weeks and am back on the wagon today. Pretty sad about it, but it is what it is and I’m just going to keep moving forward. Brother in law came by and brought pizza/beer. My wife had one drink, he had a few, and I had 16 beers.

Don’t even remember going to bed.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welp, I messed up last night. Made it almost two weeks and am back on the wagon today. Pretty sad about it, but it is what it is and I’m just going to keep moving forward. Brother in law came by and brought pizza/beer. My wife had one drink, he had a few, and I had 16 beers.

“Almost two weeks” was a start...don’t kick yourself...you did good. If kicking vices was like flipping a switch, none of us would have them. Set your sights, own it, regroup and get back in the fight.

Last edited:

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

When you get bucked off the horse you have to get right back on. Almost 2 weeks was a good start. Stay determined.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For me my addictions didnt just "go away"... I learned to accept them as part of me and adjusted to it. I haven't had a cigarette in 20 years but there isn't a month that passes without me thinking about having "ONE" ...I know I can't have "ONE" .
When I accepted the fact that I can't have one is when I quit. Drinking was similar but I watched a close friend of mine struggle through years of rehabs and outpatient and AA and everything to the tune of $200k. It scared the living hell out of me.Nothing has helped her to this day. It can get real bad before you realize you can't have ONE.

Praying for you

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
“Almost two weeks” was a start...don’t kick yourself...you did good. If kicking vices was like flipping a switch, none of us would have them. Set your sights, own it, regroup and get back in the fight.

Well said.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks fellas. You guys are pretty encouraging.
You ain’t going through nothing most of us here in this community ain’t gone through, or currently fighting now.

Tell you something personally...I’m the youngest of 11 children, grew up drinking, smoking pot, etc with my brothers and sisters back in the 70’s. I was a kid in those days. That was my world...I didn’t know no better. Many years later, I joined the biggest social club of functional drunks and alcoholics there was on the planet...the Marine Corps. I spent 8 yrs in this brotherhood...and it was a life changer for me, back in the 80’s/early 90’s. We stayed *f-worded up, drunk, 24-7....it’s what Marines did in those days. But we did our job, come hell or high water. We fought when the time came knocking...and we were suddenly a band of sober Warriors...trained to do what we were paid to do.

If I can get through that *s-wordt...raise two responsible children who are soon to be 29 and 21...you can lick this. A little relapse ain’t no biggie...we’ve all done it, been there. Don’t kick yourself in the head my man...like I said earlier in a post...regroup, get another game plan when you *f-wordk up, slip up...and start anew with a future goal that you set. We all in this *s-wordt together...and you’ve got a helluva sounding board in this place, right here, right now.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’ve made the right choice...the first step....and it takes a helluva man to come on any site, and admit his demons. You may’ve slipped up...and that’s fine...you just gotta regroup, and take the fight forward...on your terms. We can all sit back and armchair, quarterback ten ways to hell your situation...everybody got an opinion...but when it’s all said and done...this is your world...the reasons why you drink, drink in excess, the pain in your world, in your heart, where you come from, where you been...what you’ve been through.

We’re all different folks brother, and we all get this. We got your six, no matter how you add it or stack it. You’ve got a good group of folks here willing to help you with life’s daily deals. Don’t fret!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks fellas. You guys are pretty encouraging.

One thing that will help is to let other people know what you are trying to do. Your friends especially. If they are friends worth having, they will support you in your decisions, and not tempt you by bringing alcohol around.

I used to keep a handful of Narcotics Anonymous meeting schedules handy. Anytime an old buddy came around, I'd stick one in their hand. Before long, the problem worked itself out.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One thing that will help is to let other people know what you are trying to do. Your friends especially. If they are friends worth having, they will support you in your decisions, and not tempt you by bringing alcohol around.

I used to keep a handful of Narcotics Anonymous meeting schedules handy. Anytime an old buddy came around, I'd stick one in their hand. Before long, the problem worked itself out.

Randy, you bring up a good point in the "Social Aspect" of sobriety....many times YOU have to find a new set of "Friends" and your hobbies/pass times are all new.... there were a few "friends" I could NOT be around. Friday and Saturday nights for 30 years consisted of some sort of "drinking" for me...

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the things that some rehab programs do is have you come up with "your number". How much has your addiction cost you in dollars and cents. The actual cost of your poison of choice,court costs,lost wages,child support,alimony,lawsuits and so forth. Even if you are just buying a case after work and drinking at home the number can be staggering. It gets you to thinking what you have to show for all that money. Money you worked for. What you went through to get it. What you gave up to earn it. What you could of spent it on instead.