dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey All,

I’ve got a bit of a drinking problem that is hurting my marriage. I drink about one time per week, but when I do, I can’t stop until I’m blackout drunk. Has anybody tried AA that’s willing to share their opinion on the program? If not publicly, perhaps in a private message? It seems pretty simple to just stop doing it, but I’ve been trying and am not succeeding.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are several guys here in recovery and hopefully someone will reach out to send you a little guidance. Meetings work and wanting to make a change is a big first step, good for you.
Try to google AA meetings in your zip code, though you may need to also check to see if they are meeting normally under the various travel restrictions right now.
Dave

dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are several guys here in recovery and hopefully someone will reach out to send you a little guidance. Meetings work and wanting to make a change is a big first step, good for you.
Try to google AA meetings in your zip code, though you may need to also check to see if they are meeting normally under the various travel restrictions right now.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I found meetings, but they’re closed until the end of the month due to this virus. I suppose I’ll just have to ride it out until this sickness is over.

PJLink

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cant speak from first hand experience, but i can say that AA saved my dads life - he was 12 years sober before he passed away. The first step is admitting you have a problem, which you have done, good job!!! Im sure others in the program will either post here or reach out in a PM to you.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a recovering drug addict. If I can stay clean......anyone can.

No, it's not easy. The first thing you have to do is admit that YOU have a problem. It's your problem.....you own it fully.

Next, you find a higher power to believe in. Contrary to popular belief, this does not mean you have to find God. Everyone's higher power is different. But we will need help to stay clean. For me, the group of recovering addicts that I hung out with became my higher power.

If you can somehow do those two things.......you'll find that it's not as hard as it would be if you were white knuckling it on your own.

Online meetings are a great idea during this time.

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/options-for-meeting-online

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a recovering drug addict. If I can stay clean......anyone can.

No, it's not easy. The first thing you have to do is admit that YOU have a problem. It's your problem.....you own it fully.

Next, you find a higher power to believe in. Contrary to popular belief, this does not mean you have to find God. Everyone's higher power is different. But we will need help to stay clean. For me, the group of recovering addicts that I hung out with became my higher power.

If you can somehow do those two things.......you'll find that it's not as hard as it would be if you were white knuckling it on your own.

Online meetings are a great idea during this time.

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/options-for-meeting-online

Wasn't there a thread on here where you guys hung out at one time?

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good on you for taking the first step and admitting your situation. Being realistic with this and calling a spade a spade is a strong thing to do on your behalf. Wish you and your marriage, family, etc the sober success you seek.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey All,

I’ve got a bit of a drinking problem that is hurting my marriage. I drink about one time per week, but when I do, I can’t stop until I’m blackout drunk. Has anybody tried AA that’s willing to share their opinion on the program? If not publicly, perhaps in a private message? It seems pretty simple to just stop doing it, but I’ve been trying and am not succeeding.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin
Good luck. Praying for you. God will help you if you let him. I would have been dead years ago if I hadn't let HIM in.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never dealt with it myself. Good on you for taking the first step and admitting you have the problem. I wish you the very best during your recovery.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey All,

Thanks in advance.

Dustin

While in this virus shutdown you may be able to get your local get or members phone number and they are usually willing to talk. The program works if you work it! Kinda what Randy shared. I am in AA.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no experience with it but sounds like you are on the rite track. You know you need help.
I wish you and your marrage best of luck. Dont give up. Were all here for you.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was probably a clinically defined alcoholic for most of my 20's. I didn't drink in the morning, have the shakes, or drive drunk, but for most of those years I probably drank a six pack of beer every evening. And, I really didn't like going without my daily fix either. Getting engaged and taking a big hit on my income at age 28 was a huge wakeup call, I had to choose between the barley pop and being able to afford food and gas and have a lady on my arm. I made the right decision thank God, sadly many others do not. I have an imported Dutch or German beer once in a great while, maybe a few times a year. I enjoy the taste more than anything else, but it really wouldn't hurt my feelings to never have it again.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son is currently a recovering alcoholic. He just celebrated 1 year sober and I couldn't be more proud. AA was definitely a blessing for him. He got multiple DWIs and really put himself in a bad place. Thank God he realized he needed help before he hurt anyone. A year later, he's a totally different person. Nobody can make the choice to get clean except YOU. I wish you well and hope nothing but the best for you!!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk