av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a saw off eBay for $625.56. Of that, $141.43 was for shipping. I was led to believe it was for expedited shipping. It was not. It was shipped ground from Ogden, Utah to me in Georgia for a cost of $43.56.
I gave the fellow positive but honest feedback concerning the shipping. I said that in the comments that I expected either expedited shipping or a refund but got neither.
…………. A month later I get a refund from him for $43. I messaged him on eBay and thanked him for it. I suggested he send me a link to change the feedback (as there are none available to the buyer) and (here it starts to get crazy) the next thing the refund is canceled and when I contact him to ask why a pissing contest ensues and eBay cuts me off from him. They send me a letter cautioning me against “extorting “ members with feedback. Threaten to cut off my buying privileges,etc.
Since I can’t contact him I’m forced to let it go. I think eBay canceled his refund, maybe because it came so late and because I mentioned changing his feedback in response. IDK. But just this past Friday, eBay issued a COMPLETE Refund ($625.56) to me and it has gone thru and it now appears in my account.
What a bunch of sheeet!
There is nobody there to contact
I have tried
Can’t contact seller
I have tried
PayPal can’t help
Tried them too
LOL what in the world. I expect them to come back after the money. But what happened to trigger it in the first place?
What a story, all true!
My wife just said “spend the money!” Lol

Last edited:

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a saw off eBay for $625.56. Of that, $141.43 was for shipping. I was led to believe it was for expedited shipping. It was not. It was shipped ground from Ogden, Utah to me in Georgia for a cost of $43.56.
I gave the fellow positive but honest feedback concerning the shipping. I said that in the comments that I expected either expedited shipping or a refund but got neither.
…………. A month later I get a refund from him for $43. I messaged him on eBay and thanked him for it. I suggested he send me a link to change the feedback (as there are none available to the buyer) and (here it starts to get crazy) the next thing the refund is canceled and when I contact him to ask why a pissing contest ensues and eBay cuts me off from him. They send me a letter cautioning me against “extorting “ members with feedback. Threaten to cut off my buying privileges,etc.
Since I can’t contact him I’m forced to let it go. I think eBay canceled his refund, maybe because it came so late and because I mentioned changing his feedback in response. IDK. But just this past Friday, eBay issued a COMPLETE Refund ($625.56) to me and it has gone thru and it now appears in my account.
What a bunch of sheeet!
I have tried
Can’t contact seller
I have tried
PayPal can’t help
Tried them too
LOL what in the world. I expect them to come back after the money. But what happened to trigger it in the first place?
What a story, all true!
A decade ago, or so EBay was a good place to buy and sell, now it’s a joke with all their rules changes every 6 months and selling fees ,

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow what a crazy story. You tried to be fair with them and they did all that stupid crap I would say if eBay was stupid enough to give you the money back because you wanted a fair shipping price then take the money and run eBay makes plenty of money off there fees without that little bit

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a bunch of sheeet!
I have tried
Can’t contact seller
I have tried
PayPal can’t help
Tried them too
What a story, all true!

That's mad.

Was it a nice saw?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow what a crazy story. You tried to be fair with them and they did all that stupid crap I would say if eBay was stupid enough to give you the money back because you wanted a fair shipping price then take the money and run eBay makes plenty of money off there fees without that little bit

eBay probably pulled that money from the sellers account without even notifying them. eBay seldom pays from their own pocket.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I set up a buyers account, mainly so as to be able to give feedback.
I've had good dealings (as a buyer) and wanted to be able to leave good ratings for the sellers.

Account worked ok for a bit, but then it got so that ebay was throwing a eFing captacha in my face all the damned time. Sometimes more than once, before I could even finish a purchase.
I just went back to buying as a guest and no more captcha B.S.
Just sorry that I cant leave any ratings this way though.

P.S. I was always a pay when I ordered it buyer, if that matters.

Last edited:

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I set up a buyers account, mainly so as to be able to give feedback.
I've had good dealings (as a buyer) and wanted to be able to leave good ratings for the sellers.

Account worked ok for a bit, but then it got so that ebay was throwing a eFing captacha in my face all the damned time. Sometimes more than once, before I could even finish a purchase.
I just went back to buying as a guest and no more captcha B.S.
Just sorry that I cant leave any ratings this way though.

P.S. I was always a pay when I ordered it buyer, if that matters.

Me too, but I think that’s expected now. If you make an offer on something now, and it’s accepted, the payment for it comes out immediately from your preferred method of payment. That caught me by surprise once and caused much pain and gnashing of teeth. From now on I set up my preferred method for that transaction before I make the offer. Whew!

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mourn the break between eBay and PayPal.

PayPal was my toy fund. Sell a few things, build the PayPal fund with direct payment into it from eBay, buy something new, bank account unaffected. It didn't feel like real money.

Now that eBay pays out into bank accounts only it is a lot less fun. And the fees eat up too much profit.

Oldbuzzard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy chainsaws and lots of chainsaw parts off of eBay and rarely have a problem. BUT you have to be careful and look for red flags. High shipping cost is definitely a red flag. I check Sellers feedback, obviously, anything less than 99% is suspect. I also look to see what else they have listed for sell. If it is chainsaw stuff, good. If they are not selling anything else chainsaw related, bad, because they probably don’t know if what they are selling is really ok.
For whole saws, some of the best Sellers to buy from are pawn shops as long as they have a 99%+ feedback. They generally know how to start the saw and check basic functions. If in doubt, contact them and ask. Pawn shops generally just want to turn their money quickly and don’t get hung up on desirability of specific models. OTOH, Sellers who are in the chainsaw business frequently want the long dollar for popular saws.
As for parts, there are LOTS of reputable dealers on eBay. Just look at their feedback and, again, look at the other items they have listed.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Return address on box?
Send a letter, ask for contact info or supply Your own.

I always take pictures of my delivered purchases and pay attention all info is readable.

Well, at least You didn't get ripped off.
I wouldn't wanna be the seller on this one though!

Last edited:

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a bunch of sheeet!
I have tried
Can’t contact seller
I have tried
PayPal can’t help
Tried them too
What a story, all true!
Sit on the money for a while. I am sure eBay or the seller will want it back. Have you tried contacting someone at eBay to find out how/why things got so messed up? It sounds like someone dropped the ball or somehow took what you said the wrong way. But I would still hang on to the money for at least a month and see what happens. Good luck. 😊

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably some AI algorithm, rather than a real person making some of those decisions ?

Can you search eBay for other things they sell, or may have (or had) listed?

Philbert
Yes, I tried that and when I tried Contacting Seller I was blocked. I threw out the box with his name and address on it too. There is a reason EBay hides behind the electronic curtain. They don’t have the resources to deal with all the problems that get generated with selling millions of products a minute. Imagine the $ that they skim for those sales. Too busy making money to fix anything I guess.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can only get around to one haircut a year, and it almost always is around Christmas time. Here I am (she is) checking out my new haircut last year. Real, not staged, honest. lol IMG_1425.jpeg
I was taking a picture of my haircut to send to my wife. Another reason for her to celebrate this time of year. Lol

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a bunch of sheeet!
I have tried
Can’t contact seller
I have tried
PayPal can’t help
Tried them too
What a story, all true!
Sadly it's the way things are going. Here in uk banks have been closing branches under the excuse they are not used yet they are always busy. They want to do away with cash and it will happen!! Then when every transaction is online we will be in a sorry state.
I had a similar experience when buying a drill on ebay, what a load of hassle it seemed to take forever to get anywhere. In the end I did get a total refund and also the drill, it seems they right things off instead of get to the bottom of the problem. Ebay is definitely not the best if your selling and can be hassle if your buying. Personally if I ever sold on ebay I have had hassle so dont bother. They dont care they are making billions, so why would they spend time on little problems.
Merry Christmas everyone 🎅🎅