High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Alumihog, alumahog, aluma hog.... what is it and where do you get it?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
1:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fred,

I’ve never used an alumahog in a right angle. Not sure if the tool will take the torque for long. I do use them often on the straight handles. They remove a lot of material fast.

When you’re doing transfers, the tough part is the ridge of plating, not the aluminum itself. I’d be worried that the hog would chip the plating.

I’ve got a few single cut burrs. I get them from Buckeye carbide and they last a good long while. I prefer the double cuts myself, but the singles give a nice finish if you hold them at the right rpm with a steady hand. Tend to jump around more than the double cuts, at least for me.

Anyone know of a place that sells some good LEFT handed bits? I’ve got the one from CC and it’s very aggressive. If you’ve done many saws, you’ll understand. The PTO side upper is just in the wrong orientation for the right angle bits to not want to chatter like crazy.

If I remember correctly @Mastermind uses a alumahog in his RA's, I think it was a SE-51NF. Personally I use Buckeye single cuts in my RA, SE-51S or SE-53S. I usually cycle a slightly dull single cut from the straight handpiece to the RA.

The plating tears up the alumahogs pretty quickly, I'll use a double cut to rip out large over plating in a port before switching to an alumahog to keep them from chipping.

The contra angle handpiece I made myself is better at getting the exhaust side corner of the PTO side upper, or the intake side on the flywheel but I can only run the 53 size (3/16") burrs or I'll tear the gears out of the head quickly. It seems the extra angle of the contra help you fight chatter better than a straight 90.

IMG_2882_zps6f2a8245.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I remember correctly @Mastermind uses a alumahog in his RA's, I think it was a SE-51NF. Personally I use Buckeye single cuts in my RA, SE-51S or SE-53S. I usually cycle a slightly dull single cut from the straight handpiece to the RA.

The plating tears up the alumahogs pretty quickly, I'll use a double cut to rip out large over plating in a port before switching to an alumahog to keep them from chipping.

The contra angle handpiece I made myself is better at getting the exhaust side corner of the PTO side upper, or the intake side on the flywheel but I can only run the 53 size (3/16") burrs or I'll tear the gears out of the head quickly. It seems the extra angle of the contra help you fight chatter better than a straight 90.

View attachment 143191
I have wondered if that contra was worth the money just for that corner pia.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my experience with the alumahog. Was going well until it wasn't... trimming back the extensions.

No comments necessary about my crappy port work.... slapped some yamabond on it,bolted it down..good nuff for who it's for.
955c77d89b559774b9bcd3cb678d4171.jpg
70a6ff5b8da298d614992260711e4d10.jpg

Last edited:

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my experience with the alumahog. Was going well until it wasn't... trimming back the extensions.

No comments necessary about my crappy port work.... slapped some yamabond on it,bolted it down..good nuff for who it's for.

Lol, that is more like an end mill!

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol, that is more like an end mill!
Exactly...but it's the perfect profile to trim back the extensions, so I figured what the hell... might as well try it. It's works great if you can control it.

Pretty sure it'll eat your fuggin finger in a hurry though. So it makes me kinda nervous. Lol

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly...but it's the perfect profile to trim back the extensions, so I figured what the hell... might as well try it. It's works great if you can control it.

Pretty sure it'll eat your fuggin finger in a hurry though. So it makes me kinda nervous. Lol

I stay away from burrs with tips like that because it is too easy to snag the tip and jump all around. I normally use egg shaped or cylindrical with the rounded tip. I'll only use one like this if I'm trying to get a square corner.

I have used aggressive cut burrs like that one in an egg shape to rough in exhaust ports but I've switched to using high spiral ones for less chatter.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That burr will get one into trouble quick.

I do use something similar to get a clean square fingerport opening.