fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always buy oem if possible . buyers usually want that
In my experience, buyers want a low price. OEM doesn't typically matter to them. This assumes they're looking to cut wood and not take up space on a shelf. The saws I sell are "mostly" oem with aftermarket parts as required. Disclosure is important and I make it clear what's what. Not trying to hide anything.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Buyers typically will pay as little as possible, even if that means what they're buying is a piece of *s-word (think WalMart).

I learned early on, that you get what you pay for, and that better quality usually costs more. But most people are just cheap, and the people selling used saws are trying to make the most money they can, so in that sense, *s-wordty AM top ends make perfect sense.

I usually don't make money off of saws.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most people selling saws on Craigslist, or eBay, tend to be deceptive... Sellin saws for top dollar, because they have a 'new top end' without disclosing that the P&C is a $40 Chicom POS. They know good and damn well that 99% of people won't know the difference. Not saying that's what you're doing, but it happens a lot.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now, to cut through some clutter, and respond to the OP, I have used aftermarket clutch covers for Stihls (1130 series, 1123 series, 1127 series, 1128 series, etc.)
My findings are that they are pretty equivalent to OEM and certainly adequate.
I have tried covers from different vendors. If you can find someone that sells the Farmertec brand, those seem the best. I have found "generic" ones that looked identical to Farmertec ones but had some issues with finish. I'm wondering if those were quality control culls and sold as "no name" items.
Huztl and Machinesdoctor are essentially the same vendor and almost always sell Farmertec. However, I have also received Farmertec parts from other vendors as well but not consistently. The vast majority of parts I purchase are from Huztl/Machinesdoctor and I use them exclusively for engine parts.

In my experience, there is a definite difference in the quality of Asian aftermarket parts and if you find a product you like it's prudent to take note of it so you can get additional stuff from them.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing I do before I sell a saw (usually on CL) is use it extensively. ie, if I rebuilt the engine or even if it's one I just did carb/fuel system work on, I won't put it for sale until I'm sure it's reliable. I have essentially stopped "come backs" by doing this.
When people leave my driveway with a saw, it has been thoroughly tested by me personally and they have either cut with it or observed me cut with it. My happy customer rate is about 100%.

Since I do this as a hobby, it makes it easy to please the customer because a sale just isn't critical to me. I'll show them how to file the chain, discuss fuel/oil options, emphasize the importance of chaps and helmets when working in the woods and so forth. Many people have profusely thanked me for "educating" them and said the lessons were worth what they paid for the saw. Not saying they were, but that was their perception. And, hey, I like talking about and messing with chainsaws anyway. I sell chainsaws with Huztl top ends on them for the exact same price I sell OEM saws. The customer that buys an aftermarket top end saw is fully aware of that. They also know that if they have a problem with it, I'll stand behind it. But they don't have problems because it's a good set up. YMMV.

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To answer the OP, I've used them on a husky 61 white top from HL supply and a hutz on a 029 stihl. Both of them fit and worked perfect.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same for me. I bought all Stihl clutch covers. All work well...

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been looking at purchasing a couple of the aftermarket clutch covers for a couple of my stihl saws. Has anyone had any experience with them or where to purchase from. The oem ones are just way to expensive.
If your saws are older and don’t have the newer bar studs, this is a direct fit.
46F2AFF2-DE54-4E39-A70D-040853393ACF.jpeg
CB544D2D-915A-4AE1-A19A-4CB88DE8A752.jpeg
This OEM clutch cover is $27 at your local dealer. If your saws are newer and have these bar studs use a 31/64” bit. It’s just a whisper over 12mm. Mark the depth on the drill bit and poof! You’ve got a $60-65 clutch cover.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To clarify. This cover works on 026,029,036,044,046,066 and their respective MS versions.
The 261,361,362,441 covers are different in many ways and your stuck with AM if you wanna stay thrifty

Last edited: