advice on buying residential mower with PUSH button start

schreib69

OPE Member
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife is too weak to start our old mower, sold it. Bought a push button start gas mower from Home Depot with the Briggs and Stratton engine and battery starter. After using it about 4 or 5 times it refused to start even though cranking plenty fast. Just to be sure I charged it up. STILL refused to start. If I hand pulled it, it started fine. I putzed with this a few times and took it back; they gave me a credit for a new one. My plan was to buy some other brand of gas mower with a push button start. It seems there are almost none out there. I notice there is a Cub Cadet with a large than average cut width that has Cub's proprietary push button start on it. I am strongly considering that even though it is highly over rated for my simple small use needs. I just want her to be able to do a quick run through around her garden if she gets the feeling to do it. Money not an issue unless over $800.
Suggestions for some other brand engine than B & S on a decent mower?? THANKS!

schreib69

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it a small area?
If so, what about an electric mower?
I have a psychological hang up against battery powered everything. It is kind of like the diversity for investment assets. I have too many battery powered items and am cutting reliance on that source. Besides, the raw materials are sourced mainly through China and who runs that? The Chinese Communist Party--CCP. Ain't gonna' help THEM!

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an older Honda HRM-215, as does my neighbor and it does a superb job cutting. The cut quality between this mower and riding lawn mowers is night and day. At least compared to a Toro Titan ZTR 42" and a Craftsman 42"

You can buy add on starter kits for the older models.

The commercial version, which my neighbor has, has a cast metal deck or somewhere along those lines. My plastic deck has a hole in it from debris.

Honda HRX217HZA (21") 200cc Self-Propelled Electric Start Lawn Mower w/ Blade Brake Clutch

With the blade clutch, you can leave the mower running while moving fallen branches, rocks, pine cones, etc. I never realized how handy this is until I started using it. If you fall backwards cutting, the release of the handle provides an almost instant stop of the blades.

If you are considering an electric mower, test it first. On the cheaper ones (example HF) many people hate how you have to shut it down, wait, and then reverse it while pulling it. Sort of works like automatic hubs as far as I can tell.

I have never used the Honda electric start, but, my experience with various Honda equipment including this series of mowers is that it is top quality, including the lower end stuff. For pressure washers and such, I try to pony up the extra $100 for the Honda motors.

PLUS, it is just about the only mower with electric start.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
given "too weak to start old mower" it sounds like it's a mower engine problem, where you might not need an electric start. Otherwise if one was too weak to start the engine but can push and manuever the mower? I assume it is self propelled. The Honda GCV 200 and smaller engine mowers are very easy to pull start... they all have built in compression relief to allow pull starting. And unless it's the cheapest mower from walmart or depot, any good brand from a reputable store especially power equipment dealer selling honda, brigs, cubcadet, husqvarna, etc. I think would all not be too hard to pull start for anyone that is strong enough to then use the mower.

find some local lawnmower outdoor power equipment dealer and ask to test pull start some mowers to get an idea.

if you have a small flat area, electric mowers I have to say can do a decent job, my neighbor has one.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> Otherwise if one was too weak to start the engine but can push and manuever the mower?

My neighbor is 66 and has a beat up boady with knee replacements, shoulder, and hip surgery. He usually can not get his Honda 215 mower started unless I pull start it for him. He just can not pull it fast enough without hurting himself.

Yesterday I helped him install his new water heater because even though he has the strength in one arm, he can't pull on things over his head or properly stand on ladders because of vertigo. So, I installed all the fittings for him, tighten them down, and let him snug them up tight to his satisfaction while I held the ladder and held my hand over his back for leverage. This man has literally installed 100s of water heaters by himself before his body gave out so much from injuries.

So, I can totally see someone not being able to pull start a mower, but, being able to walk behind one that is running.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If my wife wanted to help with yard work and couldn't pull start equipment (which she can't), I would buy her battery powered in a shot. Most mowers, or at least parts, are coming from overseas anyway. So I would keep politics out of it and take advantage of what's offered. Check with the lawn cutting forums to see if anyone uses them and what is reliable.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just saw a commercial about the Stihl new electric push mower. I would check it out If I had a small lawn.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
post is only 14 hours old, I suggest you move on it.

Lawn Mower / self-propelled + electric start - $180 (Minnetonka)

Self propelled lawn mower with new (never used) bag. Owner’s manual + battery for electric start feature. This mower has been used maybe 8 times, selling it because we don’t need it due to landscaping change. $180 / obo

=====

Electric start self propelled lawn mower - $225 (Eden Prairie)
Toro built in battery system for electric start self propelled personal pace lawn mower. Prefect for the person who has trouble starting the lawn mower. (Although this one also starts easy by pulling)

Fresh oil change
New spark plug
New air filter

Firm on price
Delivery available for an extra fee depending on your location
=====

I have seen some not so good things mentioned about the Toro system.

I imagine the Subaru has a good engine and starting system.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our power equipment manager at work says Stihl is the only battery mower that's worth a crap. He is old school and doesn't like battery stuff, but admits this one is actually a good machine. He has sold and serviced 'em all, still has a wall full of Lawn Boy certifications.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully the OP bought one of the ones I posted since they sold and he has not posted back.