Admitting defeat

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welp...... There are those times when you throw your hands up and admit it. No exception here.

Just get back in from feeding the boiler. Walk past the window and something catches my eye. Two coyote 50ft from my mailbox! My dog is on point and the puppy is at heals. I snag my rifle and swing around the backside of the house. I knew the dog wouldn't chase but knew he would draw their attention. As soon as I poke around the corner he barks at me. Damnit...... Now the yotes run across the road and look back at him not me. I beeline it to the high side, cross the road and take aim. First shot was way high. Mfr...... Now they are running. Second shot was right between the pair. Third was lead to far ahead. Shots 4, 5 and 6 were in the dirt with the yotes running in circles at my max on a good day. Standing in sweat pants a tee shirt and snow up to my shins I gave up. I should have had one of the two. But I blew it on the one chance I had at a standing still shot. I held high not remembering that I was a easy 20-25ft higher and was a good down angle on them. Should have held center. Guess I'm rusty. :nusenuse:

Wish I would have paused for a moment longer before the first shot. Damn glad I don't have any close neighbors. I wouldn't be able to do this kind of chit if I did :nono:

Steven

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I missed a super easy shot on a really big doe the second weekend of rifle season. I was sitting under a tree with my 6.5 across my knees, she was standing broadside in a open field 100 yards away. Shot the dirt under her and she jetted. I actually put away all my hunting gear when I got home and declared I was done. Monday afterward the weather was nice and I decided to take off early just to walk around, not necessarily make an effort to get one. And, I ended up getting the biggest buck of my whole life that day.

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I missed a super easy shot on a really big doe the second weekend of rifle season. I was sitting under a tree with my 6.5 across my knees, she was standing broadside in a open field 100 yards away. Shot the dirt under her and she jetted. I actually put away all my hunting gear when I got home and declared I was done. Monday afterward the weather was nice and I decided to take off early just to walk around, not necessarily make an effort to get one. And, I ended up getting the biggest buck of my whole life that day.
Never say GIVE! LOL

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've shot my fair share (missed a few too) of racoons while standing 100ft or better from the house, in the snow in my boxers with just boots on. Haha. When the moment strikes.......... you gotta act on it! They're always after them, but get desperate in the cold, and give their best effort at getting into the duck pen. Called the nearest neighbor (quite a distance away) in the morning to say sorry for the 12ga blasts at 3am........ his response........"We didn't hear anything"............. perfect.
Anyway, I can relate to standing in the snow, in the wrong gear, missing so called "easy shots." Happens to the best of us. Keep up the solid effort! Thanks for sharing the story!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frozen fingers always kill my already modest accuracy potential. But, I'm impatient and go shooting in the cold anyway.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First of all, shooting is a finite skill. If you don't stay on top of your practicing your hit rate will go down. Secondly, shooting at a moving target that's in fear for it's life adds a whole another dimension to this. Don't feel too bad just practice whenever you can. Ammo prices are way too high to be shooting a whole lot.