High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

A Solo 667 Build thread

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, welding might be necessary. Good thing I know a good welder. Might have to leverage him. Idk if hes welded mag before though. I'll have to find out what rod he'll need. I know that info is floating around.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have two welding guys. Still haven't used the second one, yet. He's on here and knows who he is. Gus is still #1. He should be slow after Xmas. I hope, but, he's never slow...either busy or more busy. Top dog now.... runs the place and welds when they back off or he locks the door. I come in the back if he is "not here today." Super smart....knows metals and metallurgy. Carries almost thirty licences including helicopters. He builds what he flies and cruises. Runs a welding supply house and in-house repairs... some builds. Used to be an Johnson and Rude dealer. Rides an early seventies Yamaha v twin stripped down cafe racer he did up. Not your average guy.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, good news! The 690 arrived yesterday and I compared the bolting pattern. The 690 cylinder is a direct bolt on! Bolts line up perfectly.:aaaaa:

The lower transfers look like they match close enough that everything will seal up without anything crazy like welding. The skirt on the bottom of cylinder is too large to fit down into the case so I can't set it down flush on the top of the case yet but it looks promising.

I quickly checked and found the 690 has a 12mm wrist pin.

Last edited:

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, good news! The 690 arrived yesterday and I compared the bolting pattern. The 690 cylinder is a direct bolt on! Bolts line up perfectly.:aaaaa:

The lower transfers look like they match close enough that everything will seal up without anything crazy like welding. The boss on the bottom of cylinder is too large to fit down into the case so I can't set it down flush on the top of the case yet but it looks promising.

I quickly checked and found the 690 has a 12mm wrist pin.
Does this person have any pistons available?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does this person have any pistons available?
No, he struggled to come up with what he sold me and it took come convincing. I believe it was the last parts saw he had with a usable piston and even has some carbon scoring.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's progress? I figure if you have to cut a lot off the base of something like a 395 cylinder, you could get mounting flanges and transfer tubes welded on.

I think you need welding or something to build up the case.

My plan was to use it in a 660 with 58mm bore. The jug is already on it but it lacks stroke to match up. 42x58 for my mill.
What cylinder were you using for a 58mm on a 660?

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok fellas, I'm starting this build thread because I'll probably need some input from the group along the way. I haven't done much of this before and I'm diving into the deep end with this one.

The saw is a Solo 667. These have a 38mm stroke and a 42mm bore. It has a windowed piston with a 12mm wrist pin. The cylinder has case fed transfers and the case has some wild flares over the bearing pockets to feed the transfers. That will cause some issues later on.

The plan is to fit a 56mm cylinder on this. I have the following parts on order, 395 cylinder kit, a 066 big bore cylinder kit and a Hyway 066 big bore popup piston.

The 395xp is 56mm x 38mm stroke and because it has the same stroke as the 667 I want to try and use the cylinder. The 066 big bore kit is also a 56mm cylinder but they have a 40mm stroke. I bought the popup piston to use with the 395 cylinder.

I wasn't sure the 066 cylinder could withstand taking 2mm off the base without causing port timing issues. The reason I bought it was because I know the cylinder bolt spacing is really close to the Dolmar 7900 which is also very close to the 667 bolt spacing. I dont know how similar the 395 bolt spacing is until I get it in hand.

Here is the case with the flares to feed the transfers.
View attachment 210638

Here is a Dolmar 7900 big bore cylinder set on the 667 case. See the gap?
View attachment 210642

It might be a few days or more before I get the cylinders I ordered. Can anyone measure and tell me the width of a 395 and/or 066 cylinder base?

In the end I may have to get the case halves welded and then I will mill them to fit...
Did you write a 42mm bore or is it a modified cylinder? The factory one is 48mm