540xp Mark 3 ran for three minutes

CTtreeman

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi fellas, I just came across this forum through looking at different saw issues and it came up. After exploring the site I find it to be a wealth of good information and people.

I bought a new t540xp mark 3 almost a month ago took it home, filled it up and fired it up.

It was difficult to start but finally ran. I let it warm up at idle and then reved it up under partial load with the tip in a log to set auto tune as instructed by my dealer and in accordance with a video I found from husqvarna on youtube. The saw appeared to tune itself and then bogged down. I waited for it to pick back up and nothing. I let off throttle and the saw died. I looked and it had smoke coming out from around the starter cord area and smelled like burnt electrical parts or wires. The saw did not restart when I pulled it a couple times.

I brought it to my dealer soon as I could the following week and dropped it off. After a week I called to check and nothing. A week later I checked again and was told that the tech determined there was a hole in the block somewhere and the airleak burnt up the saw and it had scoring on the piston. The tech wrote customer did not cause this. I was told husqvarna wanted them to fully disassemble the saw and do more investigations and the tech didn't want to because he deemed it a waste of time with more possible parts and time than the saw was worth.

Another week goes by and I am told they are waiting to hear back from Husqvarna. Now I get a call this week and am told the warranty was denied. There was no compression. Then the tech sprayed soap in the saw and got 80 psi. Then the tech wrote bad gas. Husky denied warranty claim.

I came home and poured gas from the same container in another saw, ran it for several minutes and it worked fine didn't blow up. If the gas was old my thoughts would be that it wouldn't run properly and have trouble starting, not run at all or cut out. They seem to be saying I ran it with straight gas which I did not. I use a synthetic 2 cycle with fuel stabalizer mixed 50 to 1 in all my saws. Four other saws have used the same batch of mix and are fine with no issues. One other husky and three echos.

Their statement is quite insulting really. I chat messaged husky because you cannot call them and the guy called me back hours after he said he would so I couldn't pick up. Maybe I can get somewhere with them and maybe not.

From my knowledge an air leak in the lower end or seals on the crank could cause engine failure in a couple minutes. Even if it was run with straight gas the saw would probably still start and run again and have some compression. (Which it was not run with straight gas). If my oil to fuel mix was low (which it is not) it could still take extended use to cause total engine failure like I see here. This saw ran for a total of about 3 minutes or so.

Any thoughts on this besides don't buy another one? So you think I can escelate this with husky? What would you tell your dealer when you go to pick it up? Btw they are going to want about $120 when I come to pick it up.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw carb will tell how many times it was started and how long it ran. If it still had your fuel in it when you took it back to the dealer, they should have checked that before disassembly.

Sounds like a clear warranty case from your description, but you need the dealer on your side. They need to fight for you and do exactly what Husky asks to confirm the failure mode. The tech writing “bad gas” as the cause is not helping your case.

CTtreeman

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw carb will tell how many times it was started and how long it ran. If it still had your fuel in it when you took it back to the dealer, they should have checked that before disassembly.

Sounds like a clear warranty case from your description, but you need the dealer on your side. They need to fight for you and do exactly what Husky asks to confirm the failure mode. The tech writing “bad gas” as the cause is not helping your case.
That is what I was thinking. At first I was upset with husqvarna because the dealer said it was out oftheir hands basically and husky makes the determination. I have been going back and forth with husky customer care. At this point I am waiting to hear back from their support people. I blame my dealer 100% on this.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tech wrote customer did not cause this. I was told husqvarna wanted them to fully disassemble the saw and do more investigations and the tech didn't want to because he deemed it a waste of time with more possible parts and time than the saw was worth.

Another week goes by and I am told they are waiting to hear back from Husqvarna. Now I get a call this week and am told the warranty was denied. There was no compression. Then the tech sprayed soap in the saw and got 80 psi. Then the tech wrote bad gas. Husky denied warranty claim

This is your issue. For any vendor to honour their warranty, the dealer needs to provide sufficient documentation to satisfy them that the customer did not in fact cause the issue. That often includes further disassembly of the saw with photos taken at every stage. If the dealer won’t do that, then Husky (or any other vendor) might think that the dealer is trying to do their customer a favour at the vendors expense. In your case, it seems the dealer (or tech) wants to take the easy way out, blame Husky for declining the claim, and you end up out in the cold.

A few years back, I had a new saw seize up after what turned out to be 18hrs use. I took it back and my dealer had to tear it all the way down, taking detailed photos all the way along. Once it was proven there were no sawdust fines in the intake, good fuel and lub, no signs of overheating or scoring on the jug and piston, all the main journals were good, yet a bearing race had still let go, I got a brand new saw. It took 2 weeks and a few hours of tech time after all the back and forth e-mails with the OEM. My saw ended up at corporate for further failure analysis, as it should not have failed at 18hrs. Point being, you need your dealer on your side, and they need to provide all the evidence requested of them. No shortcuts on their part.

CTtreeman

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I have an update. Big eddy is spot on in his analysis.

I went down to the dealer in person and spoke with the owner. He brought me over to the service manager. I sat down with him and explained the issue. Supposedly now they had torn the saw down and sprayed soap around and saw nothing. I suggested the tech clean his spectacles.

They said it held 84psi on the paper. I told him that seemed very low and is no indication of how long it held it for and if it leaked down immediately. The tech already didn't want to investigate this a whole lot.

Low and behold they went back to husqvarna, did their due diligence and backed up me, the customer. It took me going down there. Thoroughly explaining the issue and circumstances surrounding it, not straight gas etc.

They just called and informed me that husky is sending them a new engine to replace the blown up one in the saw. Everything is covered.

Eddy is right. I really can't blame husqvarna on this. They can only go off of what the dealer tells them. I am very pleased with the outcome and will continue purchasing saws and other equipment from them. Perhaps the service department will take me more seriously in the future.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember vividly Husqvarna just came out with the 350( earlier version). Got it day one and he commented how hard it was to start and that it sounded like the clutch was loose. Long story short the service writer wrote that on the bill of sale and said if it blows up we will fix it. Well it made it 1 row of cherry trees pruning with some removals and it locked up tight. We took off the recoil to see if a screw got cought checked change break and just went on cutting with our old super 2 and my echo 452vl. Well took it in and tech said bad has crank is shot bearings shot cylinder shot piston and rings shot.from straight gas It was in there possession from the drop off till pickup. We had a surprise visit with a curious rep our family knew. Well he walked in asked to see this man's saw........ Tech comes out with a 95% assembled saw with the muffler removed. Rep asked the tech if he had personally went thru the protocol for this saw tech said yes. Rep pulled the fuel line off and bright blue gas came out. Tech says anybody could put that in there and filled the tank with mix. . Rep pulls the screws off the pump side and guess what more blue gas. We got a OEM rebuilt short block and a warranty that started over anytime there was a engine issue. Needles to say that saw fried 2 more times from other issues and misuse but I was way proud of that rep right there. Dealers mostly want to just sell the guy another saw so he can get back to work. Not all peeps have a list of choices and backups

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I went down to the dealer in person and spoke with the owner. He brought me over to the service manager. I sat down with him and explained the issue. Supposedly now they had torn the saw down and sprayed soap around and saw nothing. I suggested the tech clean his spectacles.

They said it held 84psi on the paper. I told him that seemed very low and is no indication of how long it held it for and if it leaked down immediately. The tech already didn't want to investigate this a whole lot.

Low and behold they went back to husqvarna, did their due diligence and backed up me, the customer. It took me going down there. Thoroughly explaining the issue and circumstances surrounding it, not straight gas etc.

They just called and informed me that husky is sending them a new engine to replace the blown up one in the saw. Everything is covered.

Eddy is right. I really can't blame husqvarna on this. They can only go off of what the dealer tells them. I am very pleased with the outcome and will continue purchasing saws and other equipment from them. Perhaps the service department will take me more seriously in the future.
I wish I could double like this news!!! So glad for this outcome and glad you kept after it.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I hope this fixes your problem. Personally, I'd be requesting and settling for nothing less than a completely new unit.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was presented this non-running Husqvarna 550 XP:
1721599579480.jpeg
No compression at all and filthy. When I was finished restoring it, here it is now:
1721599665170.jpeg
It runs perfectly today, and I installed a new longer, 20" bar and chain. Not easy, and the owner could not believe that I got the job done for less than half the dealer's quoted price.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It runs perfectly today, and I installed a new longer, 20" bar and chain. Not easy, and the owner could not believe that I got the job done for less than half the dealer's quoted price.
That saw looks really good, that is pride and workmanship for you!! Nice job on the saw! Glad to hear its running great again!