462 rings

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swung by the local polaris (also a stihl, echo, Toro, altoz, some off brand blue tractor/excavator) dealer yesterday to pick up an oil change for my ranger and while I was there I figured I'd order a new base gasket and set of rings for my 462. Base gasket will be here after Thanksgiving. Rings are unavailable!

I picked up a like new top end from @Flying_Dutchman that looks to only have been test run at the dealer. Plan is to keep it for a spare in case I fubar the original.

Is it safe to just rob the rings off the newer piston or do I need new rings? Rule of thumb for me has always been to replace them once they come out of the hole.

Is there another source for rings ?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rings don’t usually need to be replaced unless there’s excessive blow by from not being broken in properly or the rings are so worn out that the end gap is excessive.

If it needed it, I’d use Caber rings as an alternative to oem

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rings don’t usually need to be replaced unless there’s excessive blow by from not being broken in properly or the rings are so worn out that the end gap is excessive.

Should I get a ball hone to deglaze the cylinder before I put it back together ?

Looking at the new cylinder I got I was surprised to see there was little no visible cross hatch in the cylinder at all.

If it needed it, I’d use Caber rings as an alternative to oem

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not necessarily, unless there is black all over the cylinder walls from blow by. There isn’t any hone from the factory

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not necessarily, unless there is black all over the cylinder walls from blow by. There isn’t any hone from the factory
Interesting. I figured it would need it for the rings to seat properly.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd order a new base gasket and set of rings for my 462. Base gasket will be here after Thanksgiving. Rings are unavailable!

Doesn't the, 462 use the same 52mm X 1.2 rings as, 064, ms640, ms650, 046, ms460, ms461, gs461, ms382, etc.

They should not be very hard to find at all.

old saw fixer

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They may well fit, the problem is some countermen don't have enough knowledge or care enough to find out. Once I asked for a 20" 3/8/ .050 pro bar for my 036Pro and was told there were none made for that saw.....I asked him to look up one for an 066 and sell me that one.
And he was the Stihl "guru" at that location.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The dukes rings are very good quality I wouldn't hesitate to put them in any of my saws just measure them and order them by size

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They may well fit, the problem is some countermen don't have enough knowledge or care enough to find out. Once I asked for a 20" 3/8/ .050 pro bar for my 036Pro and was told there were none made for that saw.....I asked him to look up one for an 066 and sell me that one.
And he was the Stihl "guru" at that location.

There's a chick that works the stihl parts counter at the dealer I go to most of the time, she's actually pretty good.

Most of those saws referenced though are older saws, with the exception of one or two. I doubt most people would even know the models.

We're not really heavy into saw country down on my part of the gulf coast. Most of the shops are fairly new. Most less than ten years probably. The old mower/saw shop in a town close to me where I bought my first stihl closed up about fifteen years ago. It had been around a while.

Now days if it doesn't pop up on the computer screen they don't have a clue what you're talking about.