High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

346NE vs 254XP vs 55CP...Sibling Rivalry. Results are in!!!!

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock I'd take the 359 over the 357.

357 might be faster but the 359 feels more ballsy.

I have real purdy 357 on the shelf waiting for me to get some free time. I hope it wakes up a LOT with some porting. Stock it's just meh..
I think your more ballsy to say that, that's heresy .
I've gotta flamed for making the same assertion, whatever lol:beer-toast1:.
Well worth the hunt my friend. Handles similar to a 346 but with 2-series grunt. My 254 will NEVER leave my keeper shelf.
I've always considered the 254 to be like a big 346, I really enjoy the way they both handle.
One thing that would be of interest to me is how much they can each cut on the same amount of fuel, you may be surprised.
I've found that the 254's I had ran fast in the cut when tuned a little on the rich side, it held rpms just a bit better. I would check actual cut times with less no load rpm and see if you get a similar result.
I also think the 555 is so close in weight(early version especially)/feel to the 254 that it didn't warrant me keeping the 254's since I can buy a 555 any day of the week :couch:.
Great thread by the way. I figured the outcome would be as it was, especially seeing the no load rpm's on that 254. At like page 15 I was thinking I was trapped in an infomercial waiting to find out how much the result would cost me, lot's of fun here guys :campeon:.

Last edited:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love a 254. I think i want one more then a 262. I feel the same way about my 625 630 670 and hybrid jonnys. I would buy one of them in a heart beat to use over a 262 every time. Now to sell the 262 will bring more money everytime too so what do ya do. In the 6 series jonny you have torque speed/sporty and durability whats not no to like. Thats why i think id love a 254.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think your more ballsy to say that, that's heresy .
I've gotta flamed for making the same assertion, whatever lol:beer-toast1:.

I've always considered the 254 to be like a big 346, I really enjoy the way they both handle.
One thing that would be of interest to me is how much they can each cut on the same amount of fuel, you may be surprised.
I've found that the 254's I had ran fast in the cut when tuned a little on the rich side, it held rpms just a bit better. I would check actual cut times with less no load rpm and see if you get a similar result.
I also think the 555 is so close in weight(early version especially)/feel to the 254 that it didn't warrant me keeping the 254's since I can buy a 555 any day of the week :couch:.
Great thread by the way. I figured the outcome would be as it was, especially seeing the no load rpm's on that 254. At like page 15 I was thinking I was trapped in an infomercial waiting to find out how much the result would cost me, lot's of fun here guys :campeon:.

Ha ha! You won’t get any hate darts from me for sending your 254 down the road in favor of a 555, puts more 254’s in circulation for me to grab up.

You bring up a good point about tuning that’s not discussed much. Max power isn’t always made when the saw is tuned for max piss rev rpm. I tend to keep my saws tuned in the middle favoring the rich side of things. I backed my tune down to 13.8k for the little race we had in this thread so it would hold rpm better in the cut while I was pushing it through the wood.

Not sure how fuel economy would compare between 254 and 346, but I’d wager the 346 would go a little longer on a tank. Can’t compare that now though, my 254 has a 199 on it as of a few days ago and I’ll be lowering the intake quite a bit soon.

Glad you enjoyed the thread, we had a ton of fun doing it. Round 2 is coming, and my little 254 is taking on the role as underdog this time.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha ha! You won’t get any hate darts from me for sending your 254 down the road in favor of a 555, puts more 254’s in circulation for me to grab up.

You bring up a good point about tuning that’s not discussed much. Max power isn’t always made when the saw is tuned for max piss rev rpm. I tend to keep my saws tuned in the middle favoring the rich side of things. I backed my tune down to 13.8k for the little race we had in this thread so it would hold rpm better in the cut while I was pushing it through the wood.

Not sure how fuel economy would compare between 254 and 346, but I’d wager the 346 would go a little longer on a tank. Can’t compare that now though, my 254 has a 199 on it as of a few days ago and I’ll be lowering the intake quite a bit soon.

Glad you enjoyed the thread, we had a ton of fun doing it. Round 2 is coming, and my little 254 is taking on the role as underdog this time.
Then you'll really like me cause I've sent quite a few down the Rd. The 254 is one of my favorites in the 2 series saws and a ported one is a great one saw plan(kinda kick myself for not getting the one Randy sold last year, and it had heat), not that I'm promoting a one saw plan. I'm just partial to the 3 series saws as that's what I ran the most when I first started running saws. Even with that I run the autotune/mtronic saws when doing tree work for the benefits of them, but like the 3 series and the MS series myself. One if the main advantages to the AT/MT saws is fuel economy, it's also an advantage when going from the 2 series to the 3 series, you can run a 555 for a lot longer on the same amount of fuel as a 254. The carb won't make that saw any better on fuel economy, and I'm pretty sure changing the port timing won't either.
Makes sense to me that the 254 was tuned a little slower, it was running pretty good. I would still experiment with the tune, I tuned mine a good bit fatter for max power.
Looking forward to the next level testing, keep having fun, and in the meantime some wood gets cut; doesn't get much better unless your getting paid to do it, but that can have challenges of it own :).

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then you'll really like me cause I've sent quite a few down the Rd. The 254 is one of my favorites in the 2 series saws and a ported one is a great one saw plan(kinda kick myself for not getting the one Randy sold last year, and it had heat), not that I'm promoting a one saw plan. I'm just partial to the 3 series saws as that's what I ran the most when I first started running saws. Even with that I run the autotune/mtronic saws when doing tree work for the benefits of them, but like the 3 series and the MS series myself. One if the main advantages to the AT/MT saws is fuel economy, it's also an advantage when going from the 2 series to the 3 series, you can run a 555 for a lot longer on the same amount of fuel as a 254. The carb won't make that saw any better on fuel economy, and I'm pretty sure changing the port timing won't either.
Makes sense to me that the 254 was tuned a little slower, it was running pretty good. I would still experiment with the tune, I tuned mine a good bit fatter for max power.
Looking forward to the next level testing, keep having fun, and in the meantime some wood gets cut; doesn't get much better unless your getting paid to do it, but that can have challenges of it own :).

I kick myself too for not getting that 254g from Randy.