346 oe running poorly

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys had a problem with my 346oe yesterday while cutting firewood. It started fine & ran like always for the first 15 min. or so then started having erratic rpms under throttle in a cut. Pull the saw out of the wood rev it a few times seems to clear itself, back in the wood less than a minute same thing, sounded like it may have backfired through muffler once. Shut it off & grabbed another saw. Fuel is fresh & im running it in my other saws with no problem so I don't think that's the issue. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me!

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sound like maybe you have a cracked fuel line. I'd go over it and see what all the rubber looks like including your intake clamp. If thats plastic, just change it now.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What type of fuel are you using? And mix ratio? Maybe the carb needs a quick rebuild with all new rubber inside?

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Using 5 gal. vp 40:1 fuel. Seems to run fine in all my other equipment, other saws string trimmers etc.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw is probably 10 + years old but I'm guessing has less than a dozen tankfuls through it. I bought it new but it sat around a lot.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would check all fuel lines and just replace them while your at it. Start there.
Also be sure to check that intake boot and the clamp as described above. Known issues with this saw. If the clamp is still plastic, then it needs to be changed to the metal clamp and replace the intake boot as well.
Run the saw and see if the issues are corrected. If you still have issues, go back and rebuild the carb. Definitely sounds fuel system related.
Several issues that you describe are solved this way. Almost better off running the saws more than letting them sit. Like an outboard motor. The more you use them the better they are. When you use them intermittently, things happen.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. I just got busy and was off sawing for a few years now I'm getting back into it. Definetly no good to leave that sort of stuff sitting around without running it. Recipe for trouble.:(

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys hey guys will any new intake boot I buy be updated with the metal clamp?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as it is new stock. They are sold separately. Lil Red Barn on ebay sells them.

Last edited: