3/8 semi chisel, using square grinder

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try that. I like square chisel. Seems to me, easier to work with. But some do prefer semi.
If one could get a semi ( pun intended) to cut like full chisel, but last. I would use it.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try that. I like square chisel. Seems to me, easier to work with. But some do prefer semi.
If one could get a semi ( pun intended) to cut like full chisel, but last. I would use it.
Just grind chisel with a strong corner and it will last ,i run a 15 degree or so top plate on square ,it holds up good for work .

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why not on the ps offered today? Isn't it full chisel?

?

They didnt have PS back when we raced the picco semi. Only reason I even tried to square it up.

Thats what I am saying. With PS PS3 being offered now I wouldnt even mess with trying to make a faster semi square. ;)

We have done everything with PS already and even made race and square work chain with in in chain build off 1 and 2.

Its round chisel that can be square filed. Shaun made a super duper hybrid square loop for the race class.

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will he be at Randy's this weekend? I would love to see it

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent off some squared picco last week, the guy called today, said he loves it

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only prob, he can't sharpen it square. So when dull, back to round

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make the inner top plate angle less aggressive. ie instead of 50°-60° change to 65°-75°. I often tone down lo pro chain for pole saws where I want smoothness and no chatter which is hard on sprockets and cutting. A chain jumping up & down on a branch is not fast no matter how 'fast' the angles are ground. You square ground any semi yet?
I tried square grinding some semi, didn't look to good. Didn't look good at all.
Do you have any photos of your?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried square grinding some semi, didn't look to good. Didn't look good at all.
Do you have any photos of your?
My phone don't take good clear close ups.....I tried and it was hopeless. But that's my point, the chain cutter will look really strange as you almost remove the shoulder of the leading edge (corner) but.....I bet you will be shocked when you try cutting with the chain as it actually performs well. Just grind a small loop and go cut....you'll see.

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I'll try it. Looks different, but I'll try it. Thanks

Metals406

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
059ef852a3cd90ad601b8eca2bc7dfe7.jpg

Square filed this summer, really fast, but grabby as heck.

I really didn't think it was worth it personally.

Metals406

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Durable? Or more like standard chisel
I'm sure it will be durable, but that d-shaped leading edge on the side plate is too much IMO. Unavoidable using a square profile too. . . Unless a guy wanted to try grinding his stone all funky I guess?

Knowing how to use a 5/32 is just as effective, if not more on semi.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And how about Oregon 91vxl, it's full chisel, but to me is little to grabby making it jump. What are y'all doing to tone it down some.
Oregon 91VXL is semi-chisel. As far as I know, Oregon does not make any 3/8 low profile chain that is full chisel.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/pdf/chain/91VXL_FB.pdf

. . . my pole saw jumps up and done bad . . . .

Pole saws typically cut smaller diameter limbs, which tend to fall into the spaces between cutting links, causing more 'jumping' and vibration than larger diameter wood. This is why low kick back chain with bumper tie straps was originally invented - to fill in those spaces and provide a smoother cut; the reduced kickback benefit was discovered later. While most low kickback chain today has bumper drive links to help clear chips and cut faster, chains like Oregon 91VG and 90SG are still popular with many pole saw users because they cut smoother.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/pdf/chain/91VG_F&B.pdf
https://www.oregonproducts.com/pdf/chain/PFS90SGChain.pdf

90SG is the narrow kerf version, and pretty aggressive on my pole saw if properly sharpened. Oregon specifies a 4.5mm file for it (which is slightly larger than the 5/16" file recommended for the 'larger' type 91 chain).

I haven't square ground any semi yet, but wanna try.
Square grinding is only for full-chisel chains - can't get a corner / point with semi-chisel chains.

Philbert

Last edited:

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Philbert,
Thanks for clearing it up. Your very knowledgeable. As for square grinding semi, I was just curious if anyone has tried it, and was there any benefit to it.
Thank you so much for you help.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I submitted a 3/8 72 dl Oregon simi-chisel chain that I sharpened on the R2 for the round 4 buildoff. I knew it cut well, and wanted to see where it would end up vs all the other chains. They didn't get a chance to run the 3/8 @ the GTG though. Here's what the cutter looked like.
3d72b60084615cc5c80fa63be66e0936.jpg

Had to round off the corner of the grind wheel too get this profile, but you can "make" IT work.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get a flat ground top plate cutting edge by just grinding with the side of the wheel, instead of a round profiled end. You can get something similar with a 'goofy file'. But you can't get the corner, because it does not exist on semi-chisel chain. The corner is part of what makes square ground/filed full-chisel chain faster.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...Chisel-Files/Save-Edge-6-Goofy-Files-Each.axd

Goofy File Round File Grind.png
Philbert

A.E.E.llc

Hello myself, its me again
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Square grinding or bevel filing a semi chisel chain will only make the top plate sharper and fragile. Not the intended purpose of the cutter to begin with. There is no outside corner for reference. It would be a crap shoot.

Take a look at the relationship of how much a square vs semi bites on the outside kerf, beyond the raker.;). Different forgings.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bumping this interesting old thread.
How about chamfer chisel?
The original chamfer chisel chain was introduced in the 1970's by I believe was Townsend who called it the 2001 Chain.
They claimed in their advertisements that 2 corner sideplate/top plate made a fast smooth kerf in the wood with less side grab then a standard chisel or semi chisel chain. Kind of like stoning a chisel race chain.