High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

266SE Chain brake cover

Pnwfarmer

New OPE Member
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello all, thanks in advance for what I expect to be a wealth of knowledge. First off I'm not a power equipment expert, I can change chains and do general maintenance and that's the extent I play with them. I was given a 266se full wrap aluminum flag that my uncle got from a guy who dropped a tree on it and busted up the cover into 3-4 pieces, our local welding guru wasn't comfortable welding it up as it didn't seem to puddle for him the way he's used to so aftermarket seems to be the way I'm headed. My question is this, will the plastic flag setup work on these? Bailey's shows a complete unit for $125 but if it's not a bolt on replacement I just wasted that money. Most of what I read it'll work except one guy who said it'll melt the flag so that's got me nervous. I'd like to get it running for a mid range saw when I don't feel like lugging the 372 around. It runs good, really snappy with no bar on, just obnoxiously loud. Compression is 30-35 psi over what I've read is the minimum. I've got a new 20" Carlton bar and a new chain to go on it. Even if somebody has just the cover they'd be interested in selling I've got the guts of the old one still. Thanks again.

Farmer

Attachments

• Untitled_Message.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 11

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hate to tell you this, but the 266 isn’t significantly lighter than the 372...

For a full wrap, I think you want a plastic flag for a 288/390/395...further forward to clear the wrap.

Pnwfarmer

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply David, my 372 is a full wrap as well plus a 32" bar so I'm hoping the 266 would be a little lighter. Are you talking about an entire 288 clutch cover assembly or getting a 266 cover and putting just the 288 flag on it. That brings me back to my original question of the Bailey's full wrap replacement, will the plastic flag on it get melted or not.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just the 288 flag, I doubt the cover would interchange but maybe.

https://opeforum.com/threads/266xp-full-wrap-doesnt-fit-right.22670/

I don’t see how or why the flag would melt unless directly in front of the muffler outlet.

The broken cover is likely magnesium, if the welder thought it was aluminum, that would explain trouble welding it.

You should be able to scrounge up what parts you need here in the wanted section of the forum. Or the aftermarket plastic flags are cheap on the HL Supply site.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you in the PNW (I’m originally from up there) I would go with madsens. But I doubt they have inexpensive AM stuff.

Pnwfarmer

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had researched welding it prior to taking it to him and made sure he knew it was a magnesium alloy. Maybe he was having an off day when he tried it and didn't want to mess with it after, who knows. I'd actually prefer to go new as a welded cover wouldn't be as strong as a one piece new cast I wouldn't think. Will any 266SE/XP cover bolt right on and it's just the flag dimensions that's different? I'm trying to understand the ins and outs of what will work and won't work with the full wrap. The one on Bailey's lists it as full wrap only, will not work on a half wrap handle. I'm ok with spending an extra $20 if it comes bolt on ready instead of sourcing parts for different models to piece together a cover. I just want to be positive I'm putting the correct setup back on. Could you post a picture of the factory muffler? If it's the same as what I have then I'd know the plastic flag setup should work. I've seen a few aftermarket descriptions that list for a 266XP cover and claim it will not work on 266SE models as well.

Pnwfarmer

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On a side note with this saw I was wondering what the mix ratio was, found 266SE listed at 40:1 and a site somewhere on Google lists the 266XP at 50:1, the serial # has SE and the starter cover and top plastic both say XP. I also just bought a Husky 50 at auction for $75, hope it runs as I've yet to get hands on it. Auctions are bad for me. Lol. I also read 40:1 for it, would that be correct?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just the 288 flag, I doubt the cover would interchange but maybe.

https://opeforum.com/threads/266xp-full-wrap-doesnt-fit-right.22670/

I don’t see how or why the flag would melt unless directly in front of the muffler outlet.

The broken cover is likely magnesium, if the welder thought it was aluminum, that would explain trouble welding it.

You should be able to scrounge up what parts you need here in the wanted section of the forum. Or the aftermarket plastic flags are cheap on the HL Supply site.
The 288 cover will not work. Any 61/266/268/272 cover should work on that saw, but you will need the 288 flag as @davidwyby mentioned.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd call bailey's and ask to confirm.

Or try another vendor. I researched the P/N a little and got conflicting info.

Pnwfarmer

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Picking up that little Husky 50 seemed to get me in the tinkering mood so I went ahead and found a US made 266xp cover with guts included and ordered the 288 flag, putting all the numbers together got me a savings of at least 45 bucks. Probably more since that didn't include any shipping with Bailey's. Thanks for all the guidance fellas. Hopefully this completes this saw at least until I decide on doing the top end. Pulled the muffler and there's a fair bit of scoring on the piston and ring but the compression is still in the 135-140 range.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Pnwfarmer

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, maybe before winter hits I'll invest in that setup, the wife has been a little grumpy about what I've spent on tinkering the last few months. I think I'd be smart to let that blow over before telling her there's less in the checking again. Lol.