262 flooding

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my 262 is giving me fits, has been for a year or so now. Basically floods terribly as soon as i start pulling it over. Occasionally i can get it started, if i do its puking fuel and will not idle, blubbers for a few seconds and dies. Inside is clean, inlet needle holds 10 psi all day and reseals nicely when the lever is bumped. Am i right in thinking the main nozzle check valve is not working?

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hda 87. Tried it again this morning. Left the plug out overnight, fired up first pull, ran great....for about 20 seconds haha.

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the actual popoff pressure of needle and seat?

Have you pressure tested the carb fully assembled? It has gotten me before, metering diaphragm off the carb does fine. Installed it does not.

You did put the paper gasket down first then the diaphragm?
It was dissassembled when i checked, but full of fuel, got to about 15 psi and quit pumping, so never actually saw it pop off on its own. Yep diaphram/gasket are in correct order, lever height is correct. Ill try it again assembled, thx joey!

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can get it to go wide open, if i can get it to start, but runs way richer than h screw setting should allow it to run. As soon as i let off, it goes into a sort of loping idle and just dies. I can keep it running with part throttle, usually, but will not idle anywhere below about 4 or 5 k rpms.

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just tried it fully assembled and i can see fuel leaking out of main nozzle. Dissassembled, at about 30 psi, i saw bubbles (put a shot of wd40 in there so there was fluid) and it did not immediately reseat, bubbled its way down to about 25 psi and held. Took several seconds

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did get a little funk out of the seat, using a qtip, got it to fire up and idle this time...its done it intermittently for over a year so im not 100% convinced, but at least i can take it downstate tomorrow and run the piss out of it and see how it behaves.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did get a little funk out of the seat, using a qtip, got it to fire up and idle this time...its done it intermittently for over a year so im not 100% convinced, but at least i can take it downstate tomorrow and run the piss out of it and see how it behaves.
If you don't have a usc soak it in straight simple green. You will be surprised at all the chit that comes out.

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I soaked it in seafoam overnight, but its been cleaned and soaked several times before... ill try to fire it up again later and hope it works

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had that same symptom with the first 394 I worked on. Ended up being my mistake in that I didn't hook the metering lever to the button on the diaphragm. Saw fired quick and easy, but stalled out in just a few seconds flooded so bad raw fuel was puking out of the muffler when I turned the saw nose-down. I haven't been inside a 262 carb yet, they don't have the same setup as a 394 where the lever hooks the diaphragm do they???

Sounds like you are zeroing in on it, but I figured I'd bounce it off ya anyway.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
New carb kit?
I don't know how I could blame it on a check valve since they aren't capable of holding fuel back from free flowing when the piston isn't moving. To me it's more in the realm of a stiffened metering diaphragm that pops up and down like a Snapple lid.
It may pop off just fine, but it won't release back exactly when it should and will let fuel flow excessively.

cus_deluxe

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diaphrams are in good shape, metering side is pretty supple. Its wierd. It did this same thing last spring in iowa. Finally got it to start and clean out but took a lot of fartin around. Ran fine over the summer after i cleaned carb (which was a little scuzzy the first time). Ran several tanks of fuel thru it with no issues, then did the same thing in tennessee last fall. Got it to run ok for about two tanks after that, then acted up ever since, been sittin on the shelf.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried a stiffer spring under the inlet needle lever? I cured an ailing Mac carb a while back that way. I found some extra springs in an old Walbro HDC carb kit from the 80's. Back then they would issue kits with several different springs so you could adjust your pop-off pressure. Also see if you look down the inlet needle passage-way and look for wear on the needle seat.