High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

880 flooding and very hard pulling cord

Mugwortt

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I unfortunately left the saw sitting since the fall with fuel in it. In the past years I have always had a hard time starting but this year is different. Floods on run mode - suspect inlet needle? Took apart the carb and inspected the needle. There is a line around the tappered part of the needle, shop manual says replace. Also the pull cord without the spark plug in works fine. As soon as I try it with the plug in - really tough to pull and can't get a complete pull on the cord. This is with the decompression button in or out. A friend suggested to have a look at the decompression button, figured it could be stuck eventhough it seems to be working the same as it always did? This same friend suggested to clean and blow all the ports out on the carb.

Any suggestions welcome. I am no mechanic but can poke my way through things, learning as I go.

Attachments

• 20220508_152342.jpg
    20220508_152342.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220508_161957.jpg
    20220508_161957.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 28

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you’re on the right track. You need to get the old fuel out of the case. Take the plug out and flip the saw over so the plug hole is facing down. Leave it for a week. See if some old mix develops below the saw.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remove the muffler and inspect the piston. That would be right after you remove the recoil cover and inspect the starting mechanism. Sounds strange that you don’t get a complete pull with spark plug installed...

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I have to start a flooded saw, especially a big one, I wrap a wire tie around the handle and trigger with the trigger pulled up to full throttle. Not tight, loose enough you can slide it down and off quickly once the saw starts.
I have started my 088 when it was flooded this way. But for the life of me i can’t remember why/how it got flooded. I don’t imagine there is a harder saw to start if it does flood.

Mugwortt

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Remove the muffler and inspect the piston. That would be right after you remove the recoil cover and inspect the starting mechanism. Sounds strange that you don’t get a complete pull with spark plug installed...

I removed the muffler and inspected the screen - all good and while I was in there I saw the nice shiny piston - I figured that was good.

Mugwortt

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re on the right track. You need to get the old fuel out of the case. Take the plug out and flip the saw over so the plug hole is facing down. Leave it for a week. See if some old mix develops below the saw.[/QUOT
I unfortunately left the saw sitting since the fall with fuel in it. In the past years I have always had a hard time starting but this year is different. Floods on run mode - suspect inlet needle? Took apart the carb and inspected the needle. There is a line around the tappered part of the needle, shop manual says replace. Also the pull cord without the spark plug in works fine. As soon as I try it with the plug in - really tough to pull and can't get a complete pull on the cord. This is with the decompression button in or out. A friend suggested to have a look at the decompression button, figured it could be stuck eventhough it seems to be working the same as it always did? This same friend suggested to clean and blow all the ports out on the carb.

Any suggestions welcome. I am no mechanic but can poke my way through things, learning as I go.

Update - I removed the carbuator - cleaned out all the ports and parts and blew them out with air. Put it all back together again. I also took out the decompression button, seemed to be working fine? I cleaned it out too and blew it out with air. I am guessing this valve should have good air flow through it if I was to physically blow air through it? Not sure but it seems to be tough to do. Still really hard to pull.

Thanks for all your responses.

Mugwortt

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Update! Started to dig more into it yesterday and today. With the chain brake on, really tough to pull, with chain brake off, easier. Had a look at the clutch assembly and looks like the chain brake was dragging due to sawdust buildup? Need to rebuild the clutch assembly. Getting to know more about chainsaws and what to look out for in the future. Thanks for everyones input. Will update again when I get it rebuilt and finally running.

Dan