25"Rollormatic Light ES on a Stihl 261 c-m

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been running a 20” lw bar, 3/8 full skip on a gen 1 muff modded 261. That saw is gone and having a gen 2 ported now to run the same setup but with a modded oiler for more flow.

That gen 1 was a great setup for limbs and the occasional full bar buried cut. The ported gen 2 should be the heat.

For a 25”, muff mod and modded oiler for sure. A smaller chain like the recommended .325 would help.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not understanding.

I thing you want Rapid Micro or RM which is semichisel from still. It lasts a long time. I’ve hit metal with it and the damn thing kept cutting.

Stihl Duro is carbide. It’s horrible to cut wood with. The cutters are full carbide and very short. Kevin @Moparmyway modded a few for us and they cut better, but still not great. It’s actually not designed to cut wood with, it’s for rescue for cutting through mixed material.

In general, it takes more power to run bigger chain. They have skip chain, which has less cutters on it. The bigger the chain, the longer it takes to dull. The same rules apply to cutter design, square is the fastest but also dulls the fastest.

The kerf of the chains is different and is cutter height and design. .325 removes less material form a log than 3/8 does in one revolution. 325 has more cutters per foot though.
Thanks for clarifying that. I was getting confused with Oregon's DP chain, which is also semi chisel.

ironmike44

Active OPE Member
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Makes sense. Yes the RM is what I want. I also didn't realize my Echo altho 3/8p, 0.050ga appears to be a low profile (stihl's version I think is picco).

ironmike44

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One more clarification (I hope just one): when changing the control bolt is there only one way it can go in... or does it need to go in a specific way with the piston (like "timing" between the cams)?

ironmike44

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update... it went together like a charm. Thanks you guys. I maxed out the 460 control bolt for the oiler and the 25" Light bar balances close to the same as my 20" rollomatic. Runs with plenty of power using a semi-chisle (33RM-84DL) chain in red oak. It plunge cut nicely and best of all its powerful for its light weight and the added length was comfortable bucking & limbing. Now if I could just have a full wrap for it:pesas:
Thanks again OPE