Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that we have destroyed this thread…

I should have some before and after videos in a few days in some decent sized dry hard pine…remind me!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the videos are not impressive because the wood is practically sandstone but the 2166 went from about 40 seconds to about 30 with 28” skip in dry hardened Aleppo pine. The best I’ve done in that wood is new Stihl square ground full comp with the rakers at .040” with an 8 pin on a ported 395, also by @huskihl. About 20 seconds. I think the ported 3120 with 36” skip is about the same.

The 2166 might be faster with a full comp and rakers not too low, 8 pin. It has a bunch of torque. I tried taking the rakers down (too much) with full comp and it just pulls, even dogged, but I had chip flow problems, the chain would skate on the chip load about half way through.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really cool testing, interesting results. Seems like 7 pin with lower rakers would do better on a higher rpm powerband saw in your wood?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really cool testing, interesting results. Seems like 7 pin with lower rakers would do better on a higher rpm powerband saw in your wood?
Super chattery, see above vids with low rakers. I’m only theorizing that more smaller chips faster might work better…or at least be less hard on the saw. I did a bunch of experimental cutting yesterday and then worked until late and I’m working again today…but when I get a chance I will post some vids and ruminations. It was really an eye opener going to MI and cutting wood with moisture in it vs. this stuff. I thought maybe I just sucked at sharpenening, but what worked awesome there does not here. I think the aussies have the solution for dry and hard. Big saw short bar .404. Check out my euc chatter thread, vids by @rogue60 I think. F2B87483-006A-47BC-8ED7-2B0238BD6257.jpeg