029 Headache: Need Help

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty much brand new to tinkering with saws and I'm kinda just jumping in feet first and learning by doing. I've got an 029 super that a buddy of mine was saying didn't like to start hot. I ran the thing and noticed it was running really rich at low idle. I played with it by starting at factory settings and that just seemed way too rich and really bogged it down. I leaned it out half a turn and now the thing seems to run a lot better but it's doing other weird things now. It seems to run a different speeds and bog down at times depending on how it's being held and it likes to sit and idle at different speeds depending on how recently and how hard you bop the throttle so it's making tuning the carb a nightmare. Sometimes it has fantastic throttle response sometimes it's really sluggish. I'm figuring it has to be something carb/air related maybe a leak somewhere? I believe I fixed the problem he asked me to but I just get a weird vibe from this saw like there are other bigger issues I'm not addressing if I just give it back to him as is. If anyone can decipher this incoherent story about give me their 2¢ I'd greatly appreciate it!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!!!
An 029 is an old saw, rubber bit like carb diaphragms and fuel line/filter would be the first place I'd look. Also intake boot would need to be looked at too. If you want to check crank shaft seals get the saw running smooth and the rotate saw to either side and see if idle changes. Example would be of the saw starts idling faster with the clutch side facing up it could be sucking air where when its facing down the little bit of fuel will seal it up.

Before getting so far pull the muffler and check the piston to check for scoring, don't want to do any work in vein.

OtherOthe that's a good ol solid saw that will probably come back to life with a little bit of love.

Oh and give it a muffler mod to help it breath and run cooler.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
2:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The above advice is sound.
Sounds like a possible air leak from the erratic running problems.
If it won't crank after hot it may be a coil issue. The 029 super is a clam shell style saw.
We wish you well on this repair.

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sounds like crank seals. both of my 026's are acting similar to what you described, & both failed vacuum test so they're torn apart right now... sigh.

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!!!
An 029 is an old saw, rubber bit like carb diaphragms and fuel line/filter would be the first place I'd look. Also intake boot would need to be looked at too. If you want to check crank shaft seals get the saw running smooth and the rotate saw to either side and see if idle changes. Example would be of the saw starts idling faster with the clutch side facing up it could be sucking air where when its facing down the little bit of fuel will seal it up.

Before getting so far pull the muffler and check the piston to check for scoring, don't want to do any work in vein.

OtherOthe that's a good ol solid saw that will probably come back to life with a little bit of love.

Just as a thought,do you think running a little AT 205 through the fuel would help with the seals? I've had it work well on everything from break boosters to head gaskets so far. It might not do as much if there's a crack in a line but can't hurt can it?

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not sure what AT 205 is... probably best thing to do is try to run ethanol free fuels & good premix oil.

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not sure what AT 205 is... probably best thing to do is try to run ethanol free fuels & good premix oil.
AT 205 is basically a gasket resealing compound that doesn't tear up the rubber and doesn't thicken fluids, really useful stuff I just didn't know if it was any good for this, thanks

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the seals are leaking on this saw -- unless you buy a special seal that can be replaced with the motor intact -- you must do a complete tear down.
A pressure vac test is in order.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just as a thought,do you think running a little AT 205 through the fuel would help with the seals? I've had it work well on everything from break boosters to head gaskets so far. It might not do as much if there's a crack in a line but can't hurt can it?

Those things are band aids at best. Repairing the saw properly will be worthwhile.

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!!!

There's definitely scoring in the cylinder and piston, and there's definitely an air leak in the crankcase, anything I do from this point on is at the discretion of its owner, but would it be fair to tell him this saw is probably on the better side of wore out? Compared to the cost to rebuild it I've seen 5 different 029's for like $150 within 30 miles of me.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's definitely scoring in the cylinder and piston, and there's definitely an air leak in the crankcase, anything I do from this point on is at the discretion of its owner, but would it be fair to tell him this saw is probably on the better side of wore out? Compared to the cost to rebuild it I've seen 5 different 029's for like $150 within 30 miles of me.

It wouldn't take much to throw a new piston in there and rubber on it if your are looking for a nice little project. I definitely wouldn't take it to a shop for fixing with the price of used runners like that lying around.

Now you could always step it up a notch and find a 039/390 49mm head to rebuild the saw with. Cause if that a true 029 then it would be a 45mm bore 54cc saw where the 039 is a 64cc saw

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It wouldn't take much to throw a new piston in there and rubber on it if your are looking for a nice little project. I definitely wouldn't take it to a shop for fixing with the price of used runners like that lying around.
It's an 029 Super if that makes any difference, I just checked out the cost of those Chinesium 039 kits and they're pretty cheap. Looks like a cool project I've just never done anything with the clamshell style saws so I don't know much about how to even start working on it. Maybe something to start researching if the owner is down, I'm mostly concerned with figuring out how to reseal everything

Now you could always step it up a notch and find a 039/390 49mm head to rebuild the saw with. Cause if that a true 029 then it would be a 45mm bore 54cc saw where the 039 is a 64cc saw

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I understand your reasoning. Most would do just that.
It's a project saw at this point. The cylinder can most likely be cleaned up.
A nice meteor piston kit, some quality seals, perhaps a new fuel line and impulse as added insurance.
It would be a learning endeavor if you are interested. To each his own in this realm.