029 Filter upgrade

BedfordT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 029 that I wanted to pay some attention to. I am eyeing a cross 039 jug kit and wanted to do the muffler mod and out of respect I want to try a better air filter. Lots of google searches and I am still looking. I did find a german fellow that has a video of some upgrades he did to his 039. He has a stately KN filter attached to it. I reached out to him and he gave me ebay as the source for the filter and he said the rest was his creation and he did not elaborate.

Can someone recognize the fitting he is using to connect the filter to the carb?

thanks

Attachments

• 029 custom filter.png
    029 custom filter.png
    597.1 KB · Views: 62

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not a vstack. There is a thread here. Chainsaw conservation components on here can set you up too.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stock filter on that series of saws is the bottleneck in the induction system. It is even worse when you increase the displacement (390 jug). I had to make up my own with filter foam and an old flannel shirt.

I like the K&N filter you posted. If you get more information, please post it.

BedfordT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As suggested I contacted Chainsaw conservation and he said this would do the job on the 029.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-Chain...-Velocity-Stack-and-Air-Filter-/321921063160?

He recommended and it includes the unifilter, feeling it offered additional options of oil or dry. I have reached out to him to inquire if additional fasteners are required for this velocity stack on the 029. If they are required I will come back and post the details.

I did find the KN RC120 chrome top would fit a vstack.

The vstack appears to be a better way to fit the filter than the way the fellow in the photo did it. if you look closely you will see what appears to be foam covering the carb intake. My carb is original and does not have the port. If the carb fails and a replacement is not available I will keep the carb top. So the solution offered is the what I am running with so my search stops. This is great, we have great options as to what we fit to the vstack.

So I can give the 039 engine more clean air and the more recent oem oiler solves the oil distribution on a 20" or longer bar. For me the 039 will wear a 20" bar much better than my saw in its original condition.

There is a million of these fine saw still in use and these updated makes them much more useful and affordably.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although not the best air filter setup of the many I've worked on the filter didn't cause a failure. usually lean seized or the occasional mud dauber i would like to run one with an improved filter just a muff mod wakes those saws up if it could breath better it might be surprising how they run.

BedfordT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree. More in, more out.

In my case I want the additional 10cc with the engine swap.

I am going to get another rain cover because I want to play around with getting the filter to fit through it. Although I need the setup first to see if it's even possible with the plastic cover. Or maybe a mesh laundry bag material fashioned into a chip cover, a rain cover would be best. I know I can sort that part out.

BedfordT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I spoke to a mechanic at madsens today by phone about maxfilters for my ms660, they don't do email. While I had him I asked about the KN filters he had showing in his catalog and the vstacks came up. He said to be careful, mindful that you must retune that saw when giving it more air when using the vstack because it would over rev. I would have, but that was great advice.

He also has the vstack for sale and its part number is 220 2201 and its 25.95$ and it also bolts straight on, it uses the same bolt pattern as most stihls but not all. It has a 1 3/4" opening to that's the size filter you need and in his catalog the KN #1 is 22.95$. The small unifilter is only 6$ and its white. They use the flat rate boxes on small stuff so that means likely about <12$ shipping.

They have the bel ray filter oil for the max filters