High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

WTF happened here? 394xp edition

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well I've been working on my ugly 394 project trying to make a running saw out of it. It had a tree fall on it which is what caused it to be tossed into the junk pile.

Well along comes me and I snatched it up because it was super cheap. Well upon a thorough inspection (not thorough enough) I decided that it would live again with a few plastic parts, muffler and the likes. Piston looks great, no scoring whatsoever.

Pop out the crank seals and bearings are gritty and gross. So now I'm splitting it, no biggie, I pull the jug to find this.......
20170730_180851.jpg 20170730_180919.jpg 20170730_180958.jpg 20170730_181033.jpg

It was not visible through either of the ports and if you look carefully at the top of the screwed up part of the piston it is cracked.

The jug is also cracked at the base and it's cracked around the outside right along where the base of the jug meets the circular portion.

I thought it was a screwdriver piston stop kind of deal but it's not in the port, it's next to the port.

And you can tell it was rubbing when it was running so I can't imagine it being the tree that did it.

What do yall think?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I've been working on my ugly 394 project trying to make a running saw out of it. It had a tree fall on it which is what caused it to be tossed into the junk pile.

Well along comes me and I snatched it up because it was super cheap. Well upon a thorough inspection (not thorough enough) I decided that it would live again with a few plastic parts, muffler and the likes. Piston looks great, no scoring whatsoever.

Pop out the crank seals and bearings are gritty and gross. So now I'm splitting it, no biggie, I pull the jug to find this.......
View attachment 80716 View attachment 80719 View attachment 80720 View attachment 80721

It was not visible through either of the ports and if you look carefully at the top of the screwed up part of the piston it is cracked.

The jug is also cracked at the base and it's cracked around the outside right along where the base of the jug meets the circular portion.

I thought it was a screwdriver piston stop kind of deal but it's not in the port, it's next to the port.

And you can tell it was rubbing when it was running so I can't imagine it being the tree that did it.

What do yall think?
Compound fracture lol
Do you suppose the instant it was hit the chainbrake was tripped?
Otherwise you would think it would have destroyed itself.
How's the cases.

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Compound fracture lol
Do you suppose the instant it was hit the chainbrake was tripped?
Otherwise you would think it would have destroyed itself.
How's the cases.
Not sure if it was tripped, I can't imagine it causing that.

Cases are usable but do have a few small cracks in places that don't really matter

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This saw was abused for sure

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does that saw have a DNR order? Cut losses and save your new parts for a viable project?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
I does now, luckily......... I was getting ready to order about 150 bucks worth of new parts to go with the 150 bucks worth of used parts I already bought.

Atleast I'm only out less than 200 bucks total before finding this.

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I does now, luckily......... I was getting ready to order about 150 bucks worth of new parts to go with the 150 bucks worth of used parts I already bought.

Atleast I'm only out less than 200 bucks total before finding this.
I think everyone has gone down that path even if they don't want to admit it.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that saw has sucked in alot of dirt crud etc see how piston is shiny. if you every look at a piston it has little groves going around it that that help it hold oil

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
that saw has sucked in alot of dirt crud etc see how piston is shiny. if you every look at a piston it has little groves going around it that that help it hold oil
I wish I would have taken a picture of the bearings. The balls look like rabbit pellets in color and surface finish lol

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll get you a list sometime of what I have that's not frenched up!

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That piston been up down that cylinder a couple times. She some wore
out like Vagas hoe. Bet she had some piston slap.
Yeah I could tell the piston was clean but worn pretty smooth, was hoping to put a piston kit in it at most.