WTF happened here? 394xp edition

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Misery loves company so this should make you feel better.

I have to qualify this with I'm really not an idiot...

The last "steal" I got on a saw was a decent running 2135t jonsered. Trade on at a friends saw shop. $115. Looked very low hour, great cosmetic shape bCouldn't pass it up. Get it home and pulled the muffler to mod it and to my surprise, the piston is toast. The saw actually seemed to run well despite a ton of scoring. So, I called to check price on a piston/jug and amazingly, the whole oem cylinder kit is around $80 for a 338xpt. So, that's what I ordered. Didn't burn to bad at this point. $200 now into a new looking top handle that I know is good to go with a new top end. Took away the killer deal factor but wouldn't have been too bad. So at that point the saw was in 100 pieces crammed into a box on the work bench waiting for time to port the new jug and put it back together. I had a small welding project to do that day so I get the welder set up and go at it. About 30 seconds into my welding, I smelled something weird. Didn't really dawn on me at first what was happening. Made a few more passes and the smell got worse. So I stop welding and look up to see flames coming out of the box of saw parts. Dropped the mig gun and went into full panic mode as I realize there's a plastic fuel tank with a pint of gas in it that is currently on fire 2' from my face. I grabbed the tank, started blowing on it like a fool as I ran across the shop, threw open the overhead door and burried the tank into the snow bank that was pushed up next to the shop at that time. Apparently, a piece of weld splatter found it's way into to box of parts and happened to land right on the fuel line. Thank The Lord that it didn't go worse than it did as nobody got hurt but the saw. It completely melted the carb box, throttle linkages, tank vent etc rendering the entire tank and it's contents useless. After admitting my stupidity to my local JRed dealer, he got a chuckle and gave me a good deal on the rest of the parts to fix the saw. All in, I'll be into this saw for just shy of $350. It's worth maybe $250 the day it's back together. Sometimes you just need to stop digging and move on. It's not back together yet but I'm betting it gets dropped or run over the first time I put it to work...

G

Greenerpastures

Good grief, that was a bargain and a half.
Reminds me of the fellow who came to help me
strip a roof, he jumped off a barrel, landed on a nail
that was sticking up, jumped off the nail,
and, landed on another, never seen him after that.
Some days are like that.

Then there was the time I was enjoying a meal in the Chinese,
they were celebrating the Chinese new year.
I got up to go to the toilet, turned around to find a
fellow standing facing me,he smiled, I smiled,
I was polite, I said hello,
hows it going,
well the whole place erupted in laughter,
I don't go to places with mirrors anymore.
I don't drink any more either.

Regards, john

Last edited by a moderator: