Wrong tank 064?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am working on one of our old 066 it needs a new tank kind of got busted up last week. Anyway got the new tank today and it's wrong the carby housing part never owned a 064 but I take it that's what its for IDK ,having a quick look the rest of the tank looks the same.
I take it I can just swap the carb housing to the 066 one and all will be good? just checking before I pull it apart my steal dealer won't take it back if it doesn't fit and I've been at it.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Your old 066 is a 660 style big case and the new tank is a short case 064/066 tank.
You need to order a 660 fuel tank

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your old 066 is a 660 style big case and the new tank is a short case 064/066 tank.
You need to order a 660 fuel tank
Bugger me ya joking.. he was specifically told over the ph to get in a ms660 tank as I knew that would fit :smash2:.. Ah well good thing I didn't pull it apart wasn't exactly what you would call cheap..

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's a brutal price for molded plastic. Do they give professionals any discount at all? 15% is what I get from the husky dealer ( - not that I consider myself a professional)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a brutal price for molded plastic. Do they give professionals any discount at all? 15% is what I get from the husky dealer ( - not that I consider myself a professional)
Discount yeah supposedly they all make out there doing you a favour lol ,I'm kinda stuck my good dealer closed in town I now have to go to the next town over.
No choice really just have to pay the rip off prices without running chainsaw's the hole show will grind to a holt.
Used to get years out of Oregon hard nose bars could get a 20in for about $80-90, my new steal dealer $180 for a 20in Stihl hard nose bar! don't ask what a 25in is lol.. IMHO the old Oregon hard nose bars held up better with wear and durability than these new made in brazil Stihl hard nose bars.. IDK what do ya do everything seems to be going to chit quality wise that's why we are keeping the old 066/660's going the true meaning of a workhorse but not sure how much longer can get out of em all getting bloody long in the tooth.
8 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Discount yeah supposedly they all make out there doing you a favour lol ,I'm kinda stuck my good dealer closed in town I now have to go to the next town over.
No choice really just have to pay the rip off prices without running chainsaw's the hole show will grind to a holt.
Used to get years out of Oregon hard nose bars could get a 20in for about $80-90, my new steal dealer $180 for a 20in Stihl hard nose bar! don't ask what a 25in is lol.. IMHO the old Oregon hard nose bars held up better with wear and durability than these new made in brazil Stihl hard nose bars.. IDK what do ya do everything seems to be going to chit quality wise that's why we are keeping the old 066/660's going the true meaning of a workhorse but not sure how much longer can get out of em all getting bloody long in the tooth.
View attachment 31935

It's a shame you don't run huskies (no slur intended), have about 70-80 old stock hardnose GB bars (made in Australia). Think I have four 24" stihl ones, but only run .050.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mate, I have one of these here and I know its Chinese but its actually really good.

http://www.arbortec.net/product-p/pj66030.htm

With the prices Stihl rip us off with here in Australia, you should try one.
You could buy 15 of them for the one genuine handle and the saw will run the same.
I also use the Chinese ignition coils and they work great. I have one in my ported 064 and it goes great!

Also you could have got 10 spark plugs from the site sponsor in the USA for about $30 Aus plus postage which would have been half the cost

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Bosch-WSR6F-spark-plug-fits-many-models-p/wsr6f.htm

If you shop with Stihl in Australia your just throwing your money to the wind

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rogue, have you tried the GB hard nose bars?
They have a massive range and I can guarantee you will be half the price and on par with the over priced stihl bars

Send me a PM mate, you have your profile locked down

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does GB still make any bars here? Used to be able to get a custom bar made, but as off a few years ago no go.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys sure do take it in the ass with saw prices over there huh?

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does GB still make any bars here? Used to be able to get a custom bar made, but as off a few years ago no go.
Not sure where they are made but they are good and half the price of the Stihl bars.
I was talking to GB a week or 2 ago and old mate was telling me that the Pro top bars are now a titanium alloy and "almost" comparable with the old titanium bar range.
I have one of these (they are now orange) and its a great bar. My dressing file just slides over it, its hard as f@#k.
The older white pro tops are not as hard.

They have a big range of hard top bars

http://www.gbforestry.com.au/store/chainsaw-products/chainsaw-bars/hard-top-bars

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys sure do take it in the ass with saw prices over there huh?
I got a price on a piston kit 6 months back and got told $282 for the piston, $60 for rings, and with wrist pin, bearing and clips it was just under $400
The bloke in the shop said not to ask about a cylinder cause they are $1200

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our prices suck! Rogue could have almost bought a donor saw out of the US for that money. But when you need it now...

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Our prices suck! Rogue could have almost bought a donor saw out of the US for that money. But when you need it now...

That's it exactly. Time is money when you have a job to do. What husky, stihl and makita (dolmar) base their pricing structure on.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's it exactly. Time is money when you have a job to do. What husky, stihl and makita (dolmar) base their pricing structure on.

That's fair dinkum the truth they got us by the short and curlies!..
Doesn't help if you are always behind with orders and such so hard to get on top, it's an ongoing battle to get on top of it all..
We are only a small family owned setup doesn't take much of a spanner in the works to set us back days/weeks...
Hydraulics for us are the true killer as far as the USA used to own that market but not anymore thanks to Chinese chit ,we have a 20k+ pump on the saw bench and the original US source for this type pump is out of bizness yeah bugger! and it's not too healthy (the pump)and if it craps it self we be up chit creek without a paddle for real!..
Ah well life wasn't meant to be easy so the say? bugger that no matter as routine is a soul killer IMHO and a spanner in the works is not a bad thing keeps you on ya toes..

Like this- few weeks ago we needed this load of logs (Spotted Gum and Grey Box) to finish an order of bridge transoms well that was the plan, did everything go to plan? that would be NO haha..
4 (2).jpg 1 (2).jpg 088.jpg 3 (2).jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know what they say mate.
If its got tits or tyres, its going to give you trouble!
Yeah true story haha..
And brewz no not tried GB bars much only bout 3 in 20 or so years myself so cant really comment on their quality but am willing to give em a try..
I think I've got the PM thing worked out sending you a PM:roto2rie:...