High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Would like to start my own tree service. Need ideas on how to begin.

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have no climbing experience. So I would def need a boom truck. What would a good used one go for?

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suggest starting small with a pull behind unless u have a lot of money u want to spend fast. They work more efficiently with a small crew, no need for vehicle insurance, sip a little gas while in use in comparison to running a v8 or diesel. Keep in mind how big of trees u want to do. I work some with my friend, his goes 42', sometimes he would that it go higher but it runs on an 8hp Honda motor is much lighter and smaller then a truck, so small to medium trees and tight areas it shines. He pulls it with a 4wd S10 pickup.

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Go to work for someone already in the business.

Be their grounds man, & learn enough to make a better decision.
Appreciate the insight. I see ur only 31, do u have ur own tree service? I've been thinking about this for a while just don't have the experience with residential removal.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate the insight. I see ur only 31, do u have ur own tree service? I've been thinking about this for a while just don't have the experience with residential removal.

That's why I recommend getting experience on someone else's dime.

I'm starting one myself.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go to work for someone already in the business.

Be their grounds man, & learn enough to make a better decision.

^^^^This. You need to learn how to tie knots (lots of different knots for different apps) and rig limbs. You can't just drop a 2 ton limb that is hanging over someone's house. You are going to have work for an expert to learn how to do this.

You say you don't climb, you need to learn or you are going to have to hire one. You can't always get a boom truck where you need to go; but I suppose you could pass on that job. Good climbers are in demand and "should" earn a good wage; they need to be kept busy too or they will look for other work.

As far as equipment, get the most you can afford. A chipper and chipper truck (or trailer) is a must. You can find chipper trucks with booms (2 birds with one stone). Lifts are cheaper and can be rented, but are limited.

No, I don't have a tree service. I have a good friend who does, whom I help on occasion and get a lot of wood from. I have seen the trials he has been through. He started out with a huge tree company, and is an expert climber and rigger. When he went out on his own he started with a 1/2 ton Dodge, a 660, a 201T and a set of ropes. He rented trailers, cranes, and lifts as needed; and paid to dump every single load of limbs. He now has a chipper and chipper truck with boom, all bought used that requires constant maintenance.

I used to want to start a tree service. My friend offered me a partnership. After working with him, I changed my mind. In my opinion, to do it right from the start, you need a huge investment up front, which means huge risk. All new equipment. And hope for a good contract with a power company or a city after a bad storm.

Can you start out small and make it? Absolutely. Good luck.

Last edited:

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get some experience! Learn all you can and become an expert at tree work. The guy I helped get started was already a certified Arborist. Heck if you try working for someone else you may find out you don't like it. Have a great work ethic. Show up early and work late. Plus learn how to fix the equipment. It will save you big bucks and time. At first you will have time to tinker with used equipment. But then once busy you will need better more reliable equipment. Get your CDL. Bigger the better. The best training is on the job training. But you can also learn a bunch by reading the equipment manuals. Hope this helps.

That's how I got started in environmental air quality testing (source stack testing).

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy just started a tree service this year after several years with a large company. He started off with a couple 200/201s, a 361, 362, his climbing gear and ropes, and a beat up old F350. He rents a dump trailer for removing material, and a skid steer when needed.

Interestingly, most tree services in this area seem to not use chippers. They all run dual axle grapple trucks and just load trunks, branches, everything and take it to brush dumps. The one that our city operates leaves the gate open 24/7 and commercial guys are unloading those big trucks every day. My buddy says that they're much faster than a chipper, and a used one can be had for less than a decent sized chipper. I worked for a couple tree services out west, and never saw anyone using that setup. I can see where it makes sense, though.

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow this is great thanks guys! The only thing I don't have experience with is rigging trees and limbs for finessing them down. I've ran saws my whole life, worked around and serviced heavy equipment so none of that would be a problem. Guess working for someone first would be the best way to go. I find it difficult learning the rope rigging just by watching YouTube. Hands on experience is what I need.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow this is great thanks guys! The only thing I don't have experience with is rigging trees and limbs for finessing them down. I've ran saws my whole life, worked around and serviced heavy equipment so none of that would be a problem. Guess working for someone first would be the best way to go. I find it difficult learning the rope rigging just by watching YouTube. Hands on experience is what I need.

Either that or find a guy who will climb for you who has rigging experience. Doesn't need to be an employee, could be an independent contractor who just works when you need a climber. This person should be very experienced and skilled, and you will likely pay for it, but you could get rolling right away.

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can learn some from YouTube but experience is a great teacher. First question we ask a new hire is are you afraid of heights. They don't really know if they are or not. We do find out as soon as they get off the ground. We have had some people come back down after 10ft in a boom lift. Not there thing.

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i don't have that problem even though I've never been that high. We've always trimmed around fields standing in loaders and lulls with pole saws. I love tree work I've always looked forward to doing it.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What Part of Georgia?

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i don't have that problem even though I've never been that high. We've always trimmed around fields standing in loaders and lulls with pole saws. I love tree work I've always looked forward to doing it.

Buy these 3 books:

1. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=5722

2. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1260

3. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=2

Read them & read them again.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=828
Call them & order extra poles. They will send it with the rope length needed for the extra poles.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=11138
This is what is replacing the big shot. It's cheaper than the big shot kit I have.

I use a big shot to set pull lines & climbing lines.

29dd82042a0d3d76e373d9e9df0fc903.jpg

I think I would like the ATPA better.

TreeStuff is great to deal with.

You will also need a saddle & climbing rope.

Get out in the back yard once you pick your saddle, climbing rope, and climbing setup, & start shooting a rope in a tree & learning how to climb on a rope. Don't use Spurs on anything you aren't removing.

Ropes don't hurt the trees: you don't have to either.

There are years worth of articles on gear & techniques: pick one & own it.

SRT
DRT

Whatever saddle you buy, make sure it has a floating bridge.

I think I'd rather have bought The Monkey Beaver than the Ergovation, but that's me.

TreeBuzz is another forum to check out.

Be safe.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy just started a tree service this year after several years with a large company. He started off with a couple 200/201s, a 361, 362, his climbing gear and ropes, and a beat up old F350. He rents a dump trailer for removing material, and a skid steer when needed.

Interestingly, most tree services in this area seem to not use chippers. They all run dual axle grapple trucks and just load trunks, branches, everything and take it to brush dumps. The one that our city operates leaves the gate open 24/7 and commercial guys are unloading those big trucks every day. My buddy says that they're much faster than a chipper, and a used one can be had for less than a decent sized chipper. I worked for a couple tree services out west, and never saw anyone using that setup. I can see where it makes sense, though.
Find a co-generation plant that takes bio-material and a saw mill operator to sell saw logs to. You need to make money at every turn and buy insurance.