High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Why so much love for the Stihl Wrap handle (461R)?

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wrap handles are such a life saver. I would never think to upgrade my 460 or 461 to a 661 simply because of weight. Also when I do purchase a 661 it will most certainly have a 3/4 wrap on it anyways. If your buying a 3/4 for looks or whatever, then your definitely doing it wrong.

Brock.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wrap handles are such a life saver. I would never think to upgrade my 460 or 461 to a 661 simply because of weight. Also when I do purchase a 661 it will most certainly have a 3/4 wrap on it anyways. If your buying a 3/4 for looks or whatever, then your definitely doing it wrong.

Brock.
I'm liking them on the 461. Debating whether to get one later or not. I like mine on the 562, just can't forget the short scrench. Not a lot of room on the 562 Hoosky.

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm liking them on the 461. Debating whether to get one later or not. I like mine on the 562, just can't forget the short scrench. Not a lot of room on the 562 Hoosky.
Yeah I have mine on my 460 and then my 461 with the half wrap mostly for flush cutting when needed. I would totally recommend a full wrap or 3/4 wrap for anyone doing a lot of felling. Helps when you can make your cuts from either side. I have noticed that the stihl 3/4 wrap is probably the worst design out of all the manufactures who produce 3/4 wraps. I personally think that the Dolmar handles have the best feel in the hands. There are just no supporting dealers in my location and my line up is already all stihl with some exceptions. To each their own.

Brock.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I have mine on my 460 and then my 461 with the half wrap mostly for flush cutting when needed. I would totally recommend a full wrap or 3/4 wrap for anyone doing a lot of felling. Helps when you can make your cuts from either side. I have noticed that the stihl 3/4 wrap is probably the worst design out of all the manufactures who produce 3/4 wraps. I personally think that the Dolmar handles have the best feel in the hands. There are just no supporting dealers in my location and my line up is already all stihl with some exceptions. To each their own.

Brock.
I've heard other folks say the Dolmar wraps were really nice. @cgraham1 comes to mind.

Here's my Husky 562 "Black Betty" the scrap pile/parts saw, straightgassed rebuild. I ordered 560XP EU dogs and handle just to have for various jobs. IMG_20180717_213741.jpg

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My title send this thread down the route of discussing the wrap handle itself. But the "Wrap handle version" contains multiple things, that add up to 1.1 lbs.

1. 3/4 wrap handle. Seems like a pro for felling from both sides, but a con for cutting stumps
2. HO oiler. This seems valuable for long bars.
3. Larger clutch cover. Why do I care?
4. Larger (and dual) dogs. They look cool, but if you don't actually need them they just take away bar access and add weight
5. Roller chain catcher. No idea why I need this

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard other folks say the Dolmar wraps were really nice. @cgraham1 comes to mind.

Here's my Husky 562 "Black Betty" the scrap pile/parts saw, straightgassed rebuild. I ordered 560XP EU dogs and handle just to have for various jobs. View attachment 133141
Yeah they are pretty nice, and I have felt they reduce forearm strain compared to others. Even the husky full wraps are a better design they are more broader and allow for a better weight distribution with longer bars. The difference is pretty noticeable in use.

Here is my 460 with the full wrap and you can see the difference in the angles and bends in the handlebars. The stihl is in my opinion to short on the clutch side and angles to fasr back towards the user which makes longer bars nose heavy when using it left side down.
5df43e5fcda8b597421c9495f92932ca.jpg

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My title send this thread down the route of discussing the wrap handle itself. But the "Wrap handle version" contains multiple things, that add up to 1.1 lbs.

1. 3/4 wrap handle. Seems like a pro for felling from both sides, but a con for cutting stumps
4. Larger (and dual) dogs. They look cool, but if you don't actually need them they just take away bar access and add weight
Pretty sure all 460/461 are equipped with adjustable HO oiler. Also the larger clutch cover is so in case of throwing a chain or reaching into the clutch cover itself. It also has a larger area for spitting chips which helps if you noodle or run long bars. Larger dogs almost always help me and have very few situations where the dogs actually prevent me for completing the job. In almost every case the dogs help me keep the saw cool when bucking, they keep a gap between the muffler and the log I am sawing. Without the dogs the muffler is pushed right against my material usually resulting in overheating. Roller chain catcher I feel is to protect the user and the chain itself. If you throw a chain into the aluminum catcher you'll for sure need to touch it up. Not always the case with the plastic roller catcher. Anyways cheers.

Brock.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My title send this thread down the route of discussing the wrap handle itself. But the "Wrap handle version" contains multiple other things, that add up to 1.1 lbs.

1. Seems like a pro for felling from both sides. A con for cutting stumps
4. Larger (and dual) dogs. They look cool, but if you don't actually need them they just take away bar

1. Yep.
2. That's cool.
3. I like the way it looks on the saw--reminds me of a front valance on a muscle car.
4. I'm 50/50 on those--love 'em, but hate losing bar real estate.
5. Meh...they come in handy when you lose a chain at high RPM.

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your discussing the differences between the rescue version of the saw there is only a added heat shield, scrench holder in the handle, and if opted for the adjustable bar depth. This is mostly only used for firefighting in venting the roofs of burning buildings.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure all 460/461 are equipped with adjustable HO oiler. Also the larger clutch cover is so in case of throwing a chain or reaching into the clutch cover itself. It also has a larger area for spitting chips which helps if you noodle or run long bars. Larger dogs almost always help me and have very few situations where the dogs actually prevent me for completing the job. In almost every case the dogs help me keep the saw cool when bucking, they keep a gap between the muffler and the log I am sawing. Without the dogs the muffler is pushed right against my material usually resulting in overheating. Roller chain catcher I feel is to protect the user and the chain itself. If you throw a chain into the aluminum catcher you'll for sure need to touch it up. Not always the case with the plastic roller catcher. Anyways cheers.

Brock.
The 461 half wrap I checked the oil pump part # on was the standard oiler.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your discussing the differences between the rescue version of the saw there is only a added heat shield, scrench holder in the handle, and if opted for the adjustable bar depth. This is mostly only used for firefighting in venting the roofs of burning buildings.
No no, not the Rescue. Just the "R" which is Wrap handle and the other things I listed above.

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying for me. Is there anyway you can link the part numbers for the 2. I Also think the HO oiler wouldn't add any additional weight.

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my wrap handles but don't need the rest of the stuff. I normally buy the cheaper saw and put just the handle on it. Its really convenient for switching hands wen your getting tired and sore.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I could find non-R versions of the parts for a reasonable price (on ebay, or elsewhere) I'd buy them, compare the weights, and sell off the ones I didn't want. But I'm mostly finding foreign knockoffs.

If someone knows of a 461 handle, cover, dogs, and chain catcher, for sale at a decent price let me know.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wrap handle is nice if you actually use it, I occasionally do. Not enough to go out of my way to swap em on my other saws.

I like the bigger dogs, if you drop trees it’s not hard to see how they can be useful. If they take up too much of your bar.... just buy a longer one.

Oiler is common sense

Chain roller, cleaning 105 DL’s after throwing a chain sucks. These help.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yep. Standard on both models it seems. The oil pump is one of the things Stihl is actually clear about on their site. Their claim to fame on the 'R' model is the wrap and the filter. You kind of have to dig up the other info.