High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Why so much love for the Stihl Wrap handle (461R)?

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There seems to be a lot of love for the wrap handle, particularly on the 461. I'd say I see it recommended 3-1 over the non-R model.

My main hesitation is the weight. It's 1.1 lbs heavier than 461. Before anyone says "one pound is nothing", a few observations.
  1. 1.1 lbs is more than half of the difference between a 461 and a 661. If 1.1 lbs is not a big deal, then why not add 1.1 more and use a 661 for the extra torque?
  2. People are going bonkers over the upcoming 462. Why? Because it's 1.4 lbs lighter than the 461. It even has less displacement and torque and it's still considered a game changer. Are these the same people adding 1.1 pounds onto their 461?
Maybe there are just two camps: those who care about weight (462 / non-R 461 camp) and those who don't (661 / 461R camp).

I ask because I stumbled upon a lightly used, ported 461R. I didn't particularly want the R, but it was a good deal so I grabbed it. But now part of me wants to swap out the R components I don't care about (wrap handle, dogs, large clutch cover...) and just keep the high output oiler. But that seems like a lot of work, so if I really want to be a weight weenie I'll probably just keep it as-is for now and replace it with a 462 when it's available in the US and proves reliable.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There seems to be a lot of love for the wrap handle, particularly on the 461. I'd say I see it recommended 3-1 over the non-R model.

My main hesitation is the weight. It's 1.1 lbs heavier than 461. Before anyone says "one pound is nothing", a few observations.
  1. 1.1 lbs is more than half of the difference between a 461 and a 661. If 1.1 lbs is not a big deal, then why not add 1.1 more and use a 661 for the extra torque?
  2. People are going bonkers over the upcoming 462. Why? Because it's 1.4 lbs lighter than the 461. It even has less displacement and torque and it's still considered a game changer. Are these the same people adding 1.1 pounds onto their 461?
Maybe there are just two camps: those who care about weight (462 / non-R 461 camp) and those who don't (661 / 461R camp).

I ask because I stumbled upon a lightly used, ported 461R. I didn't particularly want the R, but it was a good deal so I grabbed it. But now part of me wants to swap out the R components I don't care about (wrap handle, dogs, large clutch cover...) and just keep the high output oiler. But that seems like a lot of work, so if I really want to be a weight weenie I'll probably just keep it as-is for now and replace it with a 462 when it's available in the US and proves reliable.

Who Ported it?

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does this determine the value of the wrap handle? [emoji50]

Jason Egan

I was going to offer to buy the lowly 61R junk off your hands when you become able to buy the superwiz 462.

I’ll still be keeping my 461R an R.
a2950119a373dfe5d6595c69a03829df.jpg

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my moded 461r it just feels right, the number say it shouldn’t, and the av is outdated? It feels good!! I have a moded 661r and it great too but I stihl grab the 461 over it, it feels solid and had good torque. I guess I just like it, didn’t care much for a ms440, didn’t have the torque that the 461 and the weight didn’t bother me, the 461 wrap puts the handle more forward for balance with a longer bar, mine I perfect with a stihl light 28” balances perfect even for a falling cut!
I look a the new 462 as a 60cc saw with 70 cc power, time will tell, I never buy newest thing thou, so take it with a grain of salt! Lol

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
West coasters, loggers, people who fell trees for a living, for work day in and out, on steep ground, where you can only cut on one side, appreciate a wrap handle. The 461 has enough grunt to get the job done without moving up to the heavy (and it is) 661. It feels even heavier after carrying it around all day on terrain.
The rest of the ranchers, arborists working flat ground, and homeowners are just imitating what is popular with the woodsmen, and probably won’t ever appreciate a wrap handle. They can cut from both sides of a tree, and see the wrap handle as just extra weight- and that which they only carry as far as the car/ATV can’t when they drive to the trees they intend to cut on.
The big dogs are for thick bark, west coast fir. If you don’t live there, get rid of them. They take away valuable bar length. If you cut on flat ground from whatever side of the tree you prefer 90% of the time, and not whichever side nature forces you to, ditch the wrap handle if it makes you feel better.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm not sure which way you wanna swing, but if you do decide to swap out that stuff, hit me up--I'll buy it off you if the price is right. I like them big dogs and that badass clutch cover.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has that saw seen wood besides when it's sitting on it? Lol. Just funnin! They look good as chit with that wrap handle.

You need to learn how OPE works my friend...thread responses include a picture of the saw in question with a heartfelt story about the model and why you should keep it.

If you need any help never be afraid to reach out to sawmikaze..im always on location and just a fone call away.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need to learn how OPE works my friend...thread responses include a picture of the saw in question with a heartfelt story about the model and why you should keep it.

If you need any help never be afraid to reach out to sawmikaze..im always on location and just a fone call away.

Appreciate the offer, but check the quote above my post it contains all the details.

461 Post.JPG