White Death Corrosion Experts Needed

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glyp is a good insulator and so is poly .Red Loctite would work also . The idea is to stop the galvanic action that caused the problem in the first place .That could be concrete floors or storing the saws on metal floors like tool bins , metal shelves or truck beds .
From my perspective I've only seen it on older saws namely McCulloch and Homelite and aluminum components on things like storm doors ,windows frames etc .Over the years things like E-coat on Stihl brand machinery has lessened the cause to a great degree .I haven't seen them all of course but as yet ever to tear into a Stihl that has shown any galvanic action damage .
As a suggestion if you tear apart any saw etc coat the steel screw threads with never seeze or T and B copper coat before you reassemble which should prevent it .

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been meaning to grab some Boeing spec Zinc/Moly based anti seize, made specifically for aluminium and magnesium parts.

https://armitelabs.com/product/lfas328/

Especially for when using stainless thread repair inserts, just remember that most anti-seizes will reduce fastener torque requirements when used.