srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
2:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran accross a YT video of someone using this 40V peroxide hair cream to remove stains in some white plastics and I thought it would be great on some old Stihl 064 plastics I have for a full restoration.

You just paint this stuff on and let it sit in direct sunlight. Reapply till you see the result you want.

I didn't get a before and after but I didn't treat the backside of the chain brake cover so you can see how much better they look.

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

Assembled it looks great!

IMG_4431.jpg

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We were just talking about this at Duanes gtg Shaun. Ive used similar to whiten euro mounted skulls.

Curious if it dries the plastic in any way.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran accross a YT video of someone using this 40V peroxide hair cream to remove stains in some white plastics and I thought it would be great on some old Stihl 064 plastics I have for a full restoration.

You just paint this stuff on and let it sit in direct sunlight. Reapply till you see the result you want.

I didn't get a before and after but I didn't treat the backside of the chain brake cover so you can see how much better they look.

View attachment 378948

View attachment 378949

View attachment 378950
Wonder how it would work on orange plastic.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One video from an electronics restorer in Norway shows him using a peroxide solution and UV light to get good results.

I'm guessing the UV in sunlight works just as well.

I wonder if just uv light actually turns plastics a dull white.

My thinkings is…. Every other colour fades in the presence of sunlight, so what is white going to fade to. I don’t think it’s bright white. 😉

I think there’s something more going on with Hydrogen peroxide AKA H2O2., hair bleach. And the plastics even thought they have a load of fibreglass mixed in to it. The sunlight must be/could be a catalyst… ie make the reaction go faster. but I’m more than happy for someone to tell me where my thinkings are wrong 👍

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder what it does to painted magnesium.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 378948

View attachment 378949

View attachment 378950
Thanks for sharing!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if just uv light actually turns plastics a dull white.

My thinkings is…. Every other colour fades in the presence of sunlight, so what is white going to fade to. I don’t think it’s bright white. 😉

I think there’s something more going on with Hydrogen peroxide AKA H2O2., hair bleach. And the plastics even thought they have a load of fibreglass mixed in to it. The sunlight must be/could be a catalyst… ie make the reaction go faster. but I’m more than happy for someone to tell me where my thinkings are wrong 👍
While eating dinner, I had a brain fart.🤷‍♂️
Teeth whitening at a dentist 🤔

How do they perform the task ? My understanding is the same what we’re doing here, the uv light is the activator ( is that the same as a catalyst. Takes part but is not used up in the reaction)..
edit I’m probably wrong in comparison to the activator/catalyst. It was a long time a go but I have a feeling the activator supplies some thing where as the catalyst is still there

6DCA0040-5EB3-4C80-99DB-A26CCD525E44.jpeg

Last edited:

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oven cleaner - Clean enough for a work saw.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the link @jacob j. 👍

I had a quick look and he links to another vid about making the box, adding the blue light (uv) as well as a heater with a controller as the reaction is faster at 39-41*C

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We were just talking about this at Duanes gtg Shaun. Ive used similar to whiten euro mounted skulls.

Curious if it dries the plastic in any way.
Not sure about plastics but if left to long on Euro mounts I have seen it start to eat away at the skull leaving a chalk like layer.