White Death Corrosion Experts Needed

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got what I thought was a great deal on a Husky 268xp Anniversary edition (1989). From the outside it looked like the the saw had only been used a few hours - hardly a mark on it. I looked at the piston through the muffler before I bought it and it looked great. Paid $125 with a 20" ok bar and new chain. Guy said he picked it up at a yard sale and had it running but it would not idle. He bought some Chinese parts for it (carb, coil, sparkplug, fuel filter, fuel line) and when it still would not work, he gave up.

Anyway, I figured I would tear down the top end, clean it up and have a very nice 268xp - maybe even my first shelf queen. Dreams were dashed when I removed the cylinder though. White death.

P1030986.JPG P1030987.JPG

So, is there any hope to save this? I've cleaned it with a small Foredom wire brush. I was thinking that I would get a small abrasive blaster and use some baking soda to get into the pits better. The bearing and gasket surfaces are clean but you can see where it is eating into the magnesium right at the gasket edge.

Given how nice the case is on the outside, I would really like to save this. What suggestions do you guys have? How can it be sealed or does it need to be? I was thinking that once it is coated with the fuel mixture that maybe the corrosion would be stopped?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks worse than it is. The rule of thumb I got years ago from Husqvarna is to make sure that the corrosion doesn't go through more than half the thickness of the material.

I've filled in corrosion like that before with JB Weld and that worked pretty good. You could just run it as is.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got a 505 from KY that had that from water in it.

h1255053003_zpsc89c263c.jpg

h1255053001_zpsb9977937.jpg

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
6:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That looks worse than it is. The rule of thumb I got years ago from Husqvarna is to make sure that the corrosion doesn't go through more than half the thickness of the material.

I've filled in corrosion like that before with JB Weld and that worked pretty good. You could just run it as is.
I'm with you, I have fixed worse with jb weld.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
only way to stop corrosion is to use a strong primer , epoxy type, and preferably with a bit etching effect.
It has to be thin, the one we used only build 30-40 my.
Normal epoksy grounding build 150-300my but doesnt have the ability come down in cracks and pin holes.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The corrosion is something that can not control at leats easy , so all theese jbwelds or others epoxies cant help i will agree with Glock37 that you need heavy blasting until you find new clear metal and in our case clean magnesium and then the only cure is to refil the areas using TIG welding with magnesium and milling -grindind until you have the best results that you can

DSS

widebody
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm with JJ, I'd run it the way it is. I just put together a 272 that was worse and I figure it should go for years.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used rust stop from NAPA. It stops further oxidation. 5 Bucks, cheap and easy. Never had any white rust return.
What prep work did you do before applying the Rust Stop?

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've never used JB Weld inside a crankcase before. Should I be concerned that it can come loose over time and destroy bearings or worse?

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think that there is a way to chemically neutralize the corrosion, and then seal with some form of epoxy.
I looked that up and the most promising I found was for reconditioning early airplane parts made of magnesium as follows:

Chemical Removal of Corrosion
  • Mix a chromic acid solution. The solution should contain 24 oz. of chromium trioxide mixed with 1 gallon of water in a stainless steel, lead-lined steel or 1100 aluminum container.

• Apply the chromic acid solution with a nonmetallic bristle brush. Allow the solution to set on the area for 15 minutes.

• Rinse the solution off the treated area. Use clean water and rinse thoroughly.
I'm guessing the quantity could be reduced considerably for my needs but now I need to be a chemist to get this done. And this stuff sounds nasty.