Which wood would make the best mantle?

• Total voters

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looking to try milling for the first time at some point in the week and looking to build a mantle for one of my fireplaces. I have some Walnut, Cherry, and Ash available. Does anyone think any of these choices would make a good mantle? I built a beam machine today and borrowed a friends Alaskan Small Log Mill as well. Hopefully between the two I can get a mantle made. I have a MS660 that isn't broken in yet that is muffler modded and an 036 that's muffler modded to choose from. I just bought a Stihl 24" Full Chisel chain and planning on grinding the teeth to 10 degrees for ripping. I plan to run 25:1 oil/fuel ratio. Anything I else I need to look into before letting the dust fly?

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to the milling world! I think all three of your options available would be a great choice. Is the stuff you have dry? If not it's going to be a while before it's dried, so you may want to consider that.

Sounds like you have the right tools for what you are lookin to do. I have milled a lot of slabs with a 660 running a 36" bar. Just be sure to turn your oiler up even with the 24" bar on the 660 if you use it. I would find a way to hold the logs you're looking to mill in place very well, and mill on a slight downhill as it makes feeding during milling much easier. Be sure to post up some pictures! You might want to try milling all three and pick your favorite. You can always make dimensional lumber or whatever you want out of the other pieces.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greenland South

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"I plan to run 25:1 oil/fuel ratio."

Don't run 25:1 unless the manual tells you to. I've been running my 3120 exclusively on a Logosol M8 for a few years and have never used anything but premium fuel at 50:1. You need fuel to cool, and running that extra oil will likely cause overheating. I broke my 3120 in by milling, you need a load on that engine for a proper break in. I'm sure a few of the more mechanically minded on here will chime in on this.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I personally would run 40:1. The 50:1 ratio is highly debated especially when running saws under heavy load.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your milling set up should be fine, I will agree to the aforementioned 40 to 1 mixture as being more than adequate.(Too much of a good thing) I would recommend making more than one, that way if one warps too much or splits you have a back up. As to the species, it really comes down to, what do you want to look at. I make a lot of pine and basswood mantles. I just look for straight grain and not a lot of taper in the log. Also cut from a log about a good eight inches or so longer than your finished length, that way the end splits can be cut off after drying. Good luck with your project and have fun!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cherry or walnut for sure. You could set up on the ash first if you want to practice.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd vote walnut, unless any of them have significant figure. I ran into some ash that had curl, it was sweet. But I'm not a huge fan of how ash takes stain/dye.
I mill @ 40:1.

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to the milling world! I think all three of your options available would be a great choice. Is the stuff you have dry? If not it's going to be a while before it's dried, so you may want to consider that.

Sounds like you have the right tools for what you are lookin to do. I have milled a lot of slabs with a 660 running a 36" bar. Just be sure to turn your oiler up even with the 24" bar on the 660 if you use it. I would find a way to hold the logs you're looking to mill in place very well, and mill on a slight downhill as it makes feeding during milling much easier. Be sure to post up some pictures! You might want to try milling all three and pick your favorite. You can always make dimensional lumber or whatever you want out of the other pieces.

How dried out does it need to be? It is definitely not green.

"I plan to run 25:1 oil/fuel ratio."

Don't run 25:1 unless the manual tells you to. I've been running my 3120 exclusively on a Logosol M8 for a few years and have never used anything but premium fuel at 50:1. You need fuel to cool, and running that extra oil will likely cause overheating. I broke my 3120 in by milling, you need a load on that engine for a proper break in. I'm sure a few of the more mechanically minded on here will chime in on this.
Will do on the 40:1.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Dingeryote

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
+1 on the Walnut if it's going to be finished.

Left rough, Red Oak.

Just remember that the thing will twist a bit whatever you do.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What are the planned dimensions of the mantle? I have a little hemlock mantle I made for my wood stove. I stained it, but walnut would be nice.

Attachments

• 1479905985127451720246.jpg
    1479905985127451720246.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 35

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose it just depends on what you have and what you want it to look like .This is a mantle made of plain sawn ash,raised panel

Attachments

• HPIM3502.JPG
    HPIM3502.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 23

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then again how it is cut makes a difference also .This is quarter sawn ash,base trim in a kitchen.

Attachments

• HPIM3517.JPG
    HPIM3517.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 18