ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New to me ...never saw rakers like these before.
Or maybe there not rakers ?
Ernie
Screenshot_20240201-191256.png

Last edited:

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They come on all new saws. They are a safety chain or reduced kickback chain. The extra guard link you see keeps the chain from taking as big of a bite when you use the tip of the bar reducing the amount of kickback. They cut just as well as a regular chain if you aren't cutting with the tip. When I worked for a Stihl dealer we always had a bunch in the chain room from guys who thought they were junk and wanted a regular chain on their new saw. I would use them cutting my firewood, never had an issue with them.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They come on all new saws. They are a safety chain or reduced kickback chain. The extra guard link you see keeps the chain from taking as big of a bite when you use the tip of the bar reducing the amount of kickback. They cut just as well as a regular chain if you aren't cutting with the tip. When I worked for a Stihl dealer we always had a bunch in the chain room from guys who thought they were junk and wanted a regular chain on their new saw. I would use them cutting my firewood, never had an issue with them.
That chain isn’t on all new saws. Not all safety chain is bad, but like i said that one is the worst of the worst. And we’ll agree to disagree on the rest.

Safety chain on new saws? yes, but not that one. Thats not a Stihl chain either. Stihl safety/green chain has the extra bumper next to the rakers not in between the cutters.

Last edited:

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Respectfully, I haven't seen a STIHL Pro saw dressed in safety chain, but maybe that's the local dealer's call, and maybe it's only the Pro saws.

Non-safety chain seems to cut around 10-15% faster and be slightly lighter, but that's just my observation, your mileage may vary, and I have no dog in that fight. (I use safety chain when the situation calls for it, so no hate there)

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We usually just grabbed a pair of gloves, a bar that fit the chain and wrapped it around the bar.
Head for bench grinder and working across the bar nose, we just knocked down the "shark fins" and the other protrusions on the middle links.
If ya still just plain ol don't like the chain, maybe relegate it to bucking muddy wood or rental house yardtrees?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't seen a STIHL Pro saw dressed in safety chain, but maybe that's the local dealer's call,
Might also be a buyer's call too. We had our buyers buying all sorts of goofy combinations, including selling a 500i 1/2 wrap with a 20" bar and green chain for $1500 and then a 500i with full wrap 28" bar and yellow chain for $1300...took them a couple of days to see why they were going to lose a few hundred dollars in sales if we left it like that.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would get these “safety chains” in lots of saws I would buy….if you have a grinder, grind them off and they will work…

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
STIHL low kickback chain. Worked fine for me if properly sharpened.

Grinding off those bumpers is a waste of time for most people. Especially, if cutting firewood logs and limbs under 20” diameter, or so.

Slower for plunge cutting, if you do that a lot. OK for occasional plunge / bore cutting.

They actually excel on a pole saw, when cutting small diameter branches and limbs 10’ away: by filling in the gaps betwen the teeth, they reduce vibration down at the user’s end.

I have received a large number of free STIHL and (similar) Oregon chain loops like that over the years, from people who read posts like these.

‘Thank you’

Philbert

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
STIHL low kickback chain. Worked fine for me if properly sharpened.

Grinding off those bumpers is a waste of time for most people. Especially, if cutting firewood logs and limbs under 20” diameter, or so.

Slower for plunge cutting, if you do that a lot. OK for occasional plunge / bore cutting.

They actually excel on a pole saw, when cutting small diameter branches and limbs 10’ away: by filling in the gaps betwen the teeth, they reduce vibration down at the user’s end.

I have received a large number of free STIHL and (similar) Oregon chain loops like that over the years, from people who read posts like these.

‘Thank you’

Philbert
That’s just the thing people have no clue to file them down when/if they sharpen the chain…..with the raker grinding wheel it takes me few minutes to take them off….

Ya I have probably 50-100 probably and I would never just throw one away…

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s witness marks on those as well. I get along better with these than the vanguard. The vanguard just doesn’t file down well for me. If you get it filed down it actually cuts great