Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar PS-6400 = 20" with round filed chisel chain, no problems even fully buried in oak and beech.

She can handle more, but that is where my PS-7900 comes in - although her main work B&C is also 20" LOL! :rolleyes:

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
24" on a 460 Rancher, has difficulty when fully buried in wood. Thinking of dropping to a 20". Bit of a stretch on Husqvarna's part selling that saw with that long of a B&C in my opinion.
Yes it is a stretch but so many buyers go buy bar size for how powerful a saw is. I put a 24" on a 240 and majority of people would grab that and and ask about that saw over the 455 right next to it with a 18" but it opens up the dialogue and quick education of bar size. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's the best choice.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We should raise a glass too the K095 , the 6100 doesn't mind what length of bar you force it to use it'll cope
who needs a 70cc saw when you got this one in your truck :pesas:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
10:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We should raise a glass too the K095 , the 6100 doesn't mind what length of bar you force it to use it'll cope
who needs a 70cc saw when you got this one in your truck :pesas:
I think just the opposite, I don't mind the extra weight. So I always grab 70cc over 60cc.

But that's just me

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it is a stretch but so many buyers go buy bar size for how powerful a saw is. I put a 24" on a 240 and majority of people would grab that and and ask about that saw over the 455 right next to it with a 18" but it opens up the dialogue and quick education of bar size. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's the best choice.

Was my "Big" saw at time of purchase and all I could afford, with a bunch of fire wood to cut so I fell for it. Would have been one thing had I put that bar on it, Husqvarna did. Probably more to do with marketing than anything. It is handy for limbing at times, a hindrance at others. It will just barely cut big stuff if you don't engage the dogs at all. Now the new 465 Rancher comes with a 28" bar I see. More marketing?

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Was my "Big" saw at time of purchase and all I could afford, with a bunch of fire wood to cut so I fell for it. Would have been one thing had I put that bar on it, Husqvarna did. Probably more to do with marketing than anything. It is handy for limbing at times, a hindrance at others. It will just barely cut big stuff if you don't engage the dogs at all. Now the new 465 Rancher comes with a 28" bar I see. More marketing?
More giving the buyer's what they are looking for. Just like cameras more megapixils doesn't mean better quality photos but buyers like numbers.
I am sure a 465 will pull a 28" bar but would feel and be a much better saw with a 20"

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see where your coming from its just I haven't bought a 73cc saw when the 79cc is available in the same chassis so the 60cc is useful

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More giving the buyer's what they are looking for. Just like cameras more megapixils doesn't mean better quality photos but buyers like numbers.
I am sure a 465 will pull a 28" bar but would feel and be a much better saw with a 20"

More for the person that has a big tree fall in there yard I suppose. At the time the 460 wasn't my first choice by far, I really wanted a 365 but could absolutely not afford one, nor stall any longer waiting to purchase a saw either. As it turned out this was the very thing that spurred me to build old Pro level saws to be reintroduced as an alternative to firewood cutting for the same money as the Farm/Rancher saws. Some people "get it" some don't. The hard way lesson for me turned into something I really enjoy doing. Things always work out one way or another. Still use the Rancher yet, it is a very dependable saw if nothing else, that to me is worth something.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My Husqvarna Dealer has a big stack of branded 24" K095 bars hanging up. They come in with the 460 Rancher from the warehouse. He sets them aside, and puts a new branded 20" on the 460's as he sells them.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe he figured a way to get bars cheaper or some such thing, I believe at the time I could have ordered mine with a 20" all boxed up that way from Husqvarna.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So yesterday I spent some time filing the edges and sanding down a little surface rust on one of the bars that came with my 036Pro and have it looking real nice. Used the Valspar Ford Gray. I was excited because it's a 20" and I thought I had chains for it already.

I could see that the Stihl number was was pretty faint and after painting noticed that it had 6821 stamped on the tail. I'm guessing that I have a 3003 000 6821. So sadly it is .325 .063. I'm sure it would cut well, but I want to run 3/8" .050.

And yes the rim sprocket I took off the saw was 3/8. No chain was included when I picked it up.

Another useless bar