What? No bandsaw milling threads?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not many. A couple of logs. I'm thinking that the smaller the mill, the more likely they are to break. The wheel diameter is only 16" on my mill. That's a good bit of flex the blade has to endure.
How are you setting the tension? By cranks from snug or using a torque wrench. I was using a torque wrench at first and started at the 25 lbs but then backed off to 20. I’ve also done the 2.5-3 turns past snug method that for me came out in that 16-20 lb range. I try to hang around 20.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not many. A couple of logs. I'm thinking that the smaller the mill, the more likely they are to break. The wheel diameter is only 16" on my mill. That's a good bit of flex the blade has to endure.
Wheel diameter is definitely an issue with blade life.
Still, if a new blade breaks before it's too full to cut well, I'd investigate stuff.

My mill has 19" wheels.

Sometimes when the boys and I are production sawing, I'll leave the engine screaming & the blade spinning for 3 to 5 hours nonstop and rarely will a new blade break on it's first use.
When we cut cedar cants we'll go through 90 + logs in 6 hours, so I leave it roaring because it saves time / boosts production.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you setting the tension? By cranks from snug or using a torque wrench. I was using a torque wrench at first and started at the 25 lbs but then backed off to 20. I’ve also done the 2.5-3 turns past snug method that for me came out in that 16-20 lb range. I try to hang around 20.
2 1/2 turns past snug is what I use. I'll check it with a torque wrench.

Reactions: Lnk

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm dealing with some cruddy cuts right now...blade seems to be chattering, and I can't figure out why.
It'll cut nicely for a foot or two, then chatter for a bit, then go back to perfectly smooth....

IMG_20231010_130320.jpg

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
3:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm dealing with some cruddy cuts right now...blade seems to be chattering, and I can't figure out why.
It'll cut nicely for a foot or two, then chatter for a bit, then go back to perfectly smooth....

View attachment 393958

That's a harmonic issue... you better nut and bolt that mill as you may have something loose.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
3:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's my thoughts exactly.
I'm heading out to investigate now.

I've had some softer wood grab hard on the blade and get the whole mill head bucking. Hanging some weight off the free end helped. I'm sure a different degree blade would have been the correct fix.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had some softer wood grab hard on the blade and get the whole mill head bucking. Hanging some weight off the free end helped. I'm sure a different degree blade would have been the correct fix.
This white pine is super soft, but it actually started when I was cutting yellow pine, and it's doing it in oak as well.
Anyways, I made a couple adjustments... we'll see if it's any better.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How old are the drive wheel bearings? Did you try a touch more or less tension to see if it changed. I could see a bearing that’s on the way out doing that.
The mill is an '01 model with 1,300 hours, (1k of those hours are from the last two years when I bought it off a friend)
Pretty much everything is original, so it's probably about due to start exploding.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The mill is an '01 model with 1,300 hours, (1k of those hours are from the last two years when I bought it off a friend)
Pretty much everything is original, so it's probably about due to start exploding.
My mill is up to 35 hours. LOL

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Problem is our bandmills use farmertec bearings in them. I’m going to find out the sizes and order skf or other name brands for replacements as they go. Mine has 55 hours or so on it
Farmertrc? that's good stuff, isn't it?
Lol.

I'm assuming my woodmizer has good quality bearings in it, but still they've gone around a lot of times.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep black and white spruce are both stringy, that’s the wood that gave me the most issues with the blade wondering around knots and waves in the grain.
Back in the day, I used to cut lots of big sitka spruce on the west coast.... it's really stringy as well....used to run stellite tipped blades with better results.Jump drive 098.jpgJump drive 096.jpgJump drive 099.jpg

Last edited: