trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got this 460 from Bruce (thank you!) that was siezed. Instead of it being a lean sieze, it looked more like it had ingested something that siezed her. The bore and piston are fine, the intake boot didnt have a clamp on it(dont know if they took that off later or what) and the crank and bearings both seem fine. No slop in crank and bearings are smooth with no play. There seems to be a white substance in there almost like fertilizer mixed with a heavy duty oil. Its everywhere inside the cylinder. Dont know what it is or how it got there. Anyone know what this could be and how it siezed up the cylinder?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I know, I suck at cylinder pictures. It almost has the consistency of a really wet cement. Whats the best treatment to get it out of the case and cylinder? Soak it in gas?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
tom can you get more pictures of the outside looks like it has a aluminum flywheel and the 046/460 was a poly wheel
Good eye Dall. I agree, that saw looks like a 044.
The top cover in the second picture has the stepped down front edge as well. Thats typical of a 044 top cover. 046 goes straight out without the step.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I leave my boat anchors to the new poulan series, most of them anyway! Lol. I noticed that but I was too carried away with the funk to give it more thought in the moment. Might be. A measurement of the cylinder will tell all. Can I soak it in gas? Then soak it in oil? The cylinder is real good though the piston rings are rusted to the piston. I will clean it real good. A good saw to experiment on. So thats what the white death looks like? I know what mag rot looks like but this is the first time I've seen this, at least this bad. The clutch is all rusty too.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it spent a season or two on deadliest catch.
Ya got water in it somehow. I had a Homelite 2100 super
that was worse than yours. Had to toss the cases.

Yeah, I'm trying not to split the cases. It cleaned up real nice so far but there is a little bit still left on the crankshaft. I'll get to it the beginning of the week.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it has sat long enough on a wet concrete floor it will look like that .A component in the blue clay slurry used to make portland cement has a concentration of alumina,Al2O3 which I think is one or two electrons off from aluminum which will cause an electrolysis type of situation ,IE "galvanic action ".