FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, hopefully it will only last the 4 - 16 weeks as stated. But still, an 8 minute notice is rather blunt along with the police department to “direct traffic.”

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, hopefully it will only last the 4 - 16 weeks as stated. But still, an 8 minute notice is rather blunt along with the police department to “direct traffic.”
I'm curious as to the legality of that if any of them were full-time/contracted employees. Didn't read the article.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"In its most recent fiscal year report, however, Stihl reported “record-breaking revenue of 5.5 billion euros, equating to growth of 8.6 percent compared to the previous year.”

Wow, F*** STIHL

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yep they are taking a page out of the class one railroads make as few employess as possible do the same amount of work and then wonder why moral is so low and why all the negative attitudes and press

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to raise a fuss but I wonder if Stihl Va. Beach is union or not .If so they might have a supplimental pay type of situation similar to the UAW in automobiles etc .Just saying

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It doesn't surprise me.

Large corporations are generally run by evil, greedy, self-absorbed, ignorant board members and shareholders.

It's just continually disappointing.
exactly that is perfectly said

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Stihl and Husqvarna are both reevaluating there future , because the 2T engine will slowly but surely become fazed out because of the changes in environmental aspects, but when all said and done, the corporate shareholders are king and do what’s best for them, not the employees or consumers .

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm curious as to the legality of that if any of them were full-time/contracted employees. Didn't read the article.
VA is an at-will state, which means either party, employer or employee, can terminate or suspend employment at any time with no advance notice. 8 minutes was a courtesy by the corpo people. They can either take the layoff or it’s likely Stihl would just cut them loose completely.

Not to raise a fuss but I wonder if Stihl Va. Beach is union or not .If so they might have a supplimental pay type of situation similar to the UAW in automobiles etc .Just saying

Nope, they’re not. If they were, I doubt Stihl would try pulling a stunt like this. Or maybe I’m wrong, labor unions are not as strong as they used to be, and in states like VA it’s even harder for them to have teeth.

What really makes me angry from that article is that Stihl took a cool half-million bucks from the city of Virginia Beach to expand its facilities, expanded its revenue 8.6%, then laid these people off. We have better corporate welfare here in the US than we do our people.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eventually it all boils down to politics .Honda ,Stihl and others decided decades ago it would be wise to build things in the USA .They've had 20-30 years to work on PR etc .Then along comes a CEO with a new great plan of how to maximize profits and off they go chasing the wild goose .
As far as going from gasoline powered stuff to batteries like it or not it is happening and will continue .Like a lot of things once it get's a head of steam you can't stop it .History has proven that .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple years ago during a slump in sales Ford had massive lay offs in the Detroit area .It just so happened I bought a transmission on flea bay from that area which is about 100 miles north from me .Mile after mile of closed secondary suppliers was what I found .So things like this impact the entire community not just the workers in a particular company .

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eventually it all boils down to politics .Honda ,Stihl and others decided decades ago it would be wise to build things in the USA .They've had 20-30 years to work on PR etc .Then along comes a CEO with a new great plan of how to maximize profits and off they go chasing the wild goose .
As far as going from gasoline powered stuff to batteries like it or not it is happening and will continue .Like a lot of things once it get's a head of steam you can't stop it .History has proven that .
New CEO Chris Keffer took over on August 4th. Ouch. That's pretty ruthless for your first couple of weeks on the job.

It was cited by Stihl that overall profit was up (5%ish), but wages and insurance were up a good bit (11%ish). IIRC from the CNBC article a few weeks ago.

VA is an at-will state, which means either party, employer or employee, can terminate or suspend employment at any time with no advance notice. 8 minutes was a courtesy by the corpo people. They can either take the layoff or it’s likely Stihl would just cut them loose completely.

Nope, they’re not. If they were, I doubt Stihl would try pulling a stunt like this. Or maybe I’m wrong, labor unions are not as strong as they used to be, and in states like VA it’s even harder for them to have teeth.

What really makes me angry from that article is that Stihl took a cool half-million bucks from the city of Virginia Beach to expand its facilities, expanded its revenue 8.6%, then laid these people off. We have better corporate welfare here in the US than we do our people
I can't find any direct info on the Federal level, but I'm sure they got some Green money toward the battery equipment and battery production facility. They did get a hefty grant for CARB. There is $27M in grants for commercial landscape companies switching to battery equipment.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's just a trend that may or may not have been under plan before things like Covid descended on us .Then events like a motorized barge getting grounded in the Suez canal caused large multi national concerns to take up a different plan .Since then concerns such as Intel have been going like gang busters in Ohio building new facilities .It's kind of like a rebirth of the industrial revolution in history .
Who in1950 could have predicted things in usage today would ever be as they are ? Nobody could have predicted for example home computers but here we are using them else we wouldn't see this post .

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you happen the check DW News on YouTube there have been recent articles about the slow down of the German economy. I am sure because they are headquartered there, that in part may have influenced the decision for the plant here. As I understand the USA plant is their largest. Regionally here, another paper mill has closed that had been in operation for 122 years. Inflation and high fuel prices are starting to catch up with us...☔