High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

TriLink chains (info, experience, thoughts, mods)

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s po
The height of the tooth looks shorter than the second photo you posted.

Interesting.

I've seen some loops of this stuff and other off-brands at the pawn shops, but haven't felt a strong enough urge to try them, especially for the asking price.
Possible. I might have some unused Oregon around for another picture. Not sure. I haven’t ran any of the brand new Oregon stuff but they’ve done their homework on chains. Most of the other stuff out there is just a rough copy

Again I’ll still run any of it but if I’m running long bars I buy Oregon / stihl / husqvarna chain.

I do have a few long archer loops. I was ok with it I liked it better than any other off brand stuff I’ve used If it’s half price I’d try it If I was making a living with a saw I’d stick with top name chain

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_5431.jpegCheck out the depth guage design Probably has a lot to do with the smoothness. The tri link is kinda blunt. The actual tooth design is different. The top of the tooth to the rivets is a different angle I’d imagine the steel quality is gonna be much more consistent. I’ll pay a few bucks more for a well built chain.

Funny this is around the last lgx chain made vs the other picture. The lines on the outside of the tooth aren’t on this batch but they’re still there below the curve of the tooth. Again not an accident. They tweaked that for some reason. With Chinese chains they just rough out a tooth that cuts. And they do work ok

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the tri-link in that photo new? If so, the gullet needs to be filed into way hard from the get-go!

The height is definitely different. I've used chain with a similar type of depth with little issues. I have a feeling the tooth:depth ratios are all off with its shaping.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the tri-link in that photo new? If so, the gullet needs to be filed into way hard from the get-go!

The height is definitely different. I've used chain with a similar type of depth with little issues. I have a feeling the tooth:depth ratios are all off with its shaping.
Yeah both new. I agree it won’t give you any issues but it also isn’t silky smooth in the cut. Any chatter will slow cuts down. I’m not into chain speeds or ever raved chainsaws. I think it’s kinda silly. But all those things are just my take on what makes a chain feel better or cut a tad faster

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah both new. I agree it won’t give you any issues but it also isn’t silky smooth in the cut. Any chatter will slow cuts down. I’m not into chain speeds or ever raved chainsaws. I think it’s kinda silly. But all those things are just my take on what makes a chain feel better or cut a tad faster
Agreed.

Looking at it again, the tie straps are basically flat, with no hump/groove in them. That may have a good bit to do with it.

As well, the tooth looks set further into the strap, whereas the OR chain sits higher.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this with the factory profile or how you would sharpen them?

Kind of odd that reshaping the cutter wouldn't bring it up to snuff with a regular chain. If two different chains teeth are made nearly identical (after sharpening, not factory), I'm at a loss as to why the chain would still cut slower and need more power.

Any ideas?
If I had to guess. I think the tooth geometry or angle of attack is not as precise as say Oregon.

Like it’s hogging more so than cutting. I’m not super picky on short bars and I will run tri link But I think it just doesn’t have the same angle

Oregon is just better at design if I’m guessing.
The TriLink loops were sub par in terms of cutting performance both new factory ground and filed and ground and aggressively set rakers - they just felt bad from new till dead.

The TriLink loops I had would "walk" left & right before biting bucking beech logs.
That had me baffled so I took a close look at the cutters and found the cause for all of it - tooth stamping geometry.
@jakethesnake :beer-toast1:

Oregon (and other quality chains) have the cutters outer corner higher than the cutters inner edge, that makes it bite ferociously when sharp, but also dull instantly when hitting dirt.

The TriLink I had was the exact opposite in terms of tooth/cutter geometry and it made it a poor performing chain, yet helped it staying marginally sharp when hitting dirt since the cutters outer corner was not the leading point!

I made it look extreme just to portrait what I mean, it was subtle but somewhat like this.

IMG_20240201_184821.jpg

Funny thing, the TriLink tooth geometry actually helped the outer corner "stay sharp" longer.
Unfortunately it severely impacted cutting speed and self feeding which I am a huge fan of.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The TriLink loops I had would "walk" left & right before biting bucking beech logs.
That had me baffled so I took a close look at the cutters and found the cause for all of it - tooth stamping geometry.

Oregon (and other quality chains) have the cutters outer corner higher than the cutters inner edge, that makes it bite ferociously when sharp, but also dull instantly when hitting dirt.

The TriLink I had was the exact opposite in terms of tooth/cutter geometry and it made it a poor performing chain, yet helped it staying marginally sharp when hitting dirt since the cutters outer corner was not the leading point!

I made it look extreme just to portrait what I mean, it was subtle but somewhat like this.

View attachment 406155

Funny thing, the TriLink tooth geometry actually helped the outer corner "stay sharp" longer.
Unfortunately it severely impacted cutting speed and self feeding which I am a huge fan of.
Very interesting!

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no TriLink no more, thankfully I am done with them.
And for their current asking price I certainly ain't gonna get any new ones.
I wouldn’t buy any more for 5$ like when the local place put them on sale. Kinda sucks but dewalt is factory packaging that crap to sell with the battery saws. Sharpened a dewalt chain the other day and had the three link symbol stamped in it.