Tree felling video

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't see which forum this video should go in, so I put it here and if it needs to be moved I'd appreciate it. This is the best video I've seen on different felling cuts and WHY you make those cuts. Some clever tricks

Love those guys! Watch the square file video they made too!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched this a long time ago and watching again, have an itch for more felling knowledge.
Gonna put questions or points up as I watch. I’d like to get some of you pros in here if you’d like to contribute.

Numero uno: on the second tree, open face…could one vertically plunge cut the back of the face instead of having to beat the notch out?

Sizwheel: I did one by accident the other day. I did a closed notch and then opened one side more. When it closed, it steered/swung to the side quite a bit. In this video, it just twisted or rolled. I think he could have swung it more if he left more hold wood on the closer side.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Numero uno: on the second tree, open face…could one vertically plunge cut the back of the face instead of having to beat the notch out?

Sizwheel: I did one by accident the other day. I did a closed notch and then opened one side more. When it closed, it steered/swung to the side quite a bit. In this video, it just twisted or rolled. I think he could have swung it more if he left more hold wood on the closer side.

On number one, you can do a vertical plunge for that if you are careful and make sure the gap is at least as wide as your bar. If its to narrow you will cut to kerfs in it that could cause the hinge wood to do something funky.

On the sizwheel, i have used it to good effect on some trees. All cutting techniques are like tools in a tool box and the way you combine them can lead to different effects. A sizwheel by itself can compensate for some side lean, but it you modify your holding wood and/or add a block dutchman you can move a tree a massive amount by swinging it. Its all dependent on tree to tree and per situation.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutting down trees is dangerous

Yeah, at age 74 I just don't move the way I used to. The last tree I dropped was a bit hairy with all the dead branches it could catch. Everything went as planned, but I decided that was the LAST tree I was going to drop. Hell, I spent more time clearing a trail away from the tree than I did in actually cutting the notch and back cut.

Sometimes you've got to know your limitations - BEFORE it catches up with you.

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, at age 74 I just don't move the way I used to. The last tree I dropped was a bit hairy with all the dead branches it could catch. Everything went as planned, but I decided that was the LAST tree I was going to drop. Hell, I spent more time clearing a trail away from the tree than I did in actually cutting the notch and back cut.

Sometimes you've got to know your limitations - BEFORE it catches up with you.
WISE WORDS!!

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched this a long time ago and watching again, have an itch for more felling knowledge.
Gonna put questions or points up as I watch. I’d like to get some of you pros in here if you’d like to contribute.

Beat it out and trim it. You can't put would back if u cut to much. Beraneks advice too, don't chase it. Beat it out. I see A bunch of bore happy guys, gotta be careful. Many times not necessary, you can compromise holding wood, and lose the advantage of wedges. I cut alot, and big wood. I almost never have to bore into trees. I almost wish they would have never showed any Euro style cutting in America. Very different and so much unnecessary cutting and over cutting.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't see which forum this video should go in, so I put it here and if it needs to be moved I'd appreciate it. This is the best video I've seen on different felling cuts and WHY you make those cuts. Some clever tricks

Around here you would get a minimum $30 a ton for those trees. I’m guessing each tree weighs 5-6 tons at least. Nice video.

jurchybald

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beat it out and trim it. You can't put would back if u cut to much. Beraneks advice too, don't chase it. Beat it out. I see A bunch of bore happy guys, gotta be careful. Many times not necessary, you can compromise holding wood, and lose the advantage of wedges. I cut alot, and big wood. I almost never have to bore into trees. I almost wish they would have never showed any Euro style cutting in America. Very different and so much unnecessary cutting and over cutting.
We think the same about american style. If someone here is wearing 28' bar we smile. 20' is max. 18' is normal. bore cut every tree. It's just more safe and quick once you get used to. and so much easier in the end of the day.
BUT we don't have redwood here. max dia is usually a tree or two in the day bigger than 3 feet.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I didn’t know was the the dude (Jed Walters) was apparently a big deal with skateboarding in the 1990s, then just up and quit because he felt like he was falling away from Christianity.

Dude always appeared to be a good man and a very skilled tree guy. Never knew him but he seemed like he was good.

And now the service be worked for lost their superintendent and one of their foremen from just treating one of them poorly and one of them dying at work. Not a good look…

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We think the same about american style. If someone here is wearing 28' bar we smile. 20' is max. 18' is normal. bore cut every tree. It's just more safe and quick once you get used to. and so much easier in the end of the day.
BUT we don't have redwood here. max dia is usually a tree or two in the day bigger than 3 feet.
To each his own, and whatever method works for you Awesome. But safer and quicker is a matter of one's opinion. If you cut with a few in America. I believe u would be amazed how quick we can have similar sized trees on the ground l, with a 32 inch bar. For the record of cut with all size saws, bore cut as well. There is a reason in the states why most cutters pack a 32 yo 36 inch bar. You can reach more limbs on a tree with less movement too, and bending over with those small bars gives me a sore back in comparison. I'd definitely say if its a preference thing to many of u cool, but the safer and faster statement sorry but not accurate.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I didn’t know was the the dude (Jed Walters) was apparently a big deal with skateboarding in the 1990s, then just up and quit because he felt like he was falling away from Christianity.

Dude always appeared to be a good man and a very skilled tree guy. Never knew him but he seemed like he was good.

And now the service be worked for lost their superintendent and one of their foremen from just treating one of them poorly and one of them dying at work. Not a good look…
Guy was legit

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is also a reason why the biggest saw manufacturers in the world, have modify and built many powerboats, designs as well as bars and chains around American cutting, as well as books and cutting methods and schools. Many have tried to reinvent the wheel, and none have replaced or beaten out the old tried and true west coast falling and tree work methods.