Torturous Day in the woods!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here are a few pics from a downed hickory tree that proved to be at least 4 times larger than the Facebook Ad!!
Edna and I drove out with an initial plan of 45 minutes max in mind.
Simply block it, load it, and if need be, noodle up a couple of the more ornery pieces.

Some 3 1/2 hours later, after snapping a splitting wedge in half, sawing into my cast iron triangle wedge, getting both wedges stuck at least 5 times, getting the MS 261 stuck twice, and ripping the pull cord handle off the MS 660, and almost passing out from the heat/humidity...we finally escaped with this piece of a load!!

Between all the mishaps, being miserably outta shape, the cake thick humidity, and the girth of the tree...this easily qualifies for a outdoor comedy skit or Red Green Honorable Mention!!
My MS 261 with a 16" bar & square chisel is no slouch & munched through wood I never would've dreamed of.

Pretty impressed with the MS660...WHAT A BEAST!!
Stump Shot did a phenomenal job on this saw!!:campeon:
Heavy as all get out, but I just set it in the Dall---and "Let Her Eat!"
BTW...the so called hickory tree turned out be....Red Oak!:rolleyes:

Later,
Reg
View attachment 188730 Red Oak 1.jpg
Here is the FB Pics vs the actual onsite pics!!
FB Pic of Tree.jpg dwn 3.jpg down 2.jpg

Attachments

• RO 3.jpg
    RO 3.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Technically you were in someone's yard....this thread needs more Husqvarna.
5ce9e754c5f1a374059233ea79f78238.jpg

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like 45min of work to me:risas3:.
I hate those days, those are the days that you can start to feel if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have none at all lol.
Yep...45 minutes was about the extent of the actual, "work!":p
But...being, "The King of Pain" as I am...I'm headed back Wed
morning to nab some more.
This time with my semi-burly son-in-law!!:coleman:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep...45 minutes was about the extent of the actual, "work!":p
But...being, "The King of Pain" as I am...I'm headed back Wed
morning to nab some more.
This time with my semi-burly son-in-law!!:coleman:
Do you just make a few bucking cuts from the top, then bore cut and out the bottom, then finish the bucking cuts. Doing it that way you never even need a wedge. There are other techniques that will give similar results that you can see in many loggers vids, but they take a bit more practice for most guys.
I do...I'm truly blessed & highly favored Cat!
:campeon:
It's hard to find a good one.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you just make a few bucking cuts from the top, then bore cut and out the bottom, then finish the bucking cuts. Doing it that way you never even need a wedge. There are other techniques that will give similar results that you can see in many loggers vids, but they take a bit more practice for most guys.
:campeon:
It's hard to find a good one.
Wish I had that experience under my belt.
I guess I should've used undercuts...seeing how much of the tree still had tension from part of it on the ground & the other still attached at the base...
It's all over now except for the hauling.
I appreciate the wisdom brother.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish I had that experience under my belt.
I guess I should've used undercuts...seeing how much of the tree still had tension from part of it on the ground & the other still attached at the base...
It's all over now except for the hauling.
I appreciate the wisdom brother.
I need to do a video, I rarely use a wedge when bucking, it works well.
Doing it the way I'm talking about you don't have to cut from the very bottom all the way up, that's a lot of work lol.
Maybe I'll do one, I have a few saws that I need to run here, it's pretty easy as long as there are at least a few points the log is not on the ground totally so you can bore then cut through the bottom.
Wait you left it there all bucked up :cool:.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to do a video, I rarely use a wedge when bucking, it works well.
Doing it the way I'm talking about you don't have to cut from the very bottom all the way up, that's a lot of work lol.
Maybe I'll do one, I have a few saws that I need to run here, it's pretty easy as long as there are at least a few points the log is not on the ground totally so you can bore then cut through the bottom.
Wait you left it there all bucked up :cool:.
A video would be sweet, especially for us studs who don't do this on the regular, and are kinda doughy like! lol
Nope...he just took his truck and towing strap and snatched it plumb off the stump...now it may be 10-12 feet of semi-blocked wood.
He's keeping an eye on it...personal property.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A video would be sweet, especially for us studs who don't do this on the regular, and are kinda doughy like! lol
Nope...he just took his truck and towing strap and snatched it plumb off the stump...now it may be 10-12 feet of semi-blocked wood.
He's keeping an eye on it...personal property.
I don't do it everyday, not even close. I did start a saw a few times today, first time in a week or so, it was good :D.
On a log like that I would start at the low end and make a bunch of bucking cuts from the top down until it was going to pinch, then I would get out. Once I have a section cut like that that I can still roll over by hand I will bore through as in the video, but rather than coming right up through the top I will cut the rest of the way through the bottom. Sometimes the wood will split at that point and the log will drop to the ground, other times you will have to cut the top portion from the bottom up. Then you repeat until the whole log is bucked up. Many times I will put a round under the log so while I'm bucking it doesn't pinch so hard and I can also make a bucking cut right over the round and cut all the way through without any binding. A video would be easier lol.
I have this one I did a few yrs ago for the guys showing how I use a bore cut so you don't have to pull dirt through the cut on skidded logs that are caked with mud. This one wasn't bad, but even pulling a little dirt through the cut will dull a full chisel chain fast so even though this technique takes a little time it saves a lot of sharpening on dirty wood, especially if you don't have semi chisel chain.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't do it everyday, not even close. I did start a saw a few times today, first time in a week or so, it was good :D.
On a log like that I would start at the low end and make a bunch of bucking cuts from the top down until it was going to pinch, then I would get out. Once I have a section cut like that that I can still roll over by hand I will bore through as in the video, but rather than coming right up through the top I will cut the rest of the way through the bottom. Sometimes the wood will split at that point and the log will drop to the ground, other times you will have to cut the top portion from the bottom up. Then you repeat until the whole log is bucked up. Many times I will put a round under the log so while I'm bucking it doesn't pinch so hard and I can also make a bucking cut right over the round and cut all the way through without any binding. A video would be easier lol.
I have this one I did a few yrs ago for the guys showing how I use a bore cut so you don't have to pull dirt through the cut on skidded logs that are caked with mud. This one wasn't bad, but even pulling a little dirt through the cut will dull a full chisel chain fast so even though this technique takes a little time it saves a lot of sharpening on dirty wood, especially if you don't have semi chisel chain.
Chipper that is a nice technique!:b1:
I'll make sure to use it and I appreciate the video.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like 45min of work to me:risas3:.
I hate those days, those are the days that you can start to feel if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have none at all lol.
Been there! Honestly I woulda bailed with nothing but saws in the truck. It always goes better the next day.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been there! Honestly I woulda bailed with nothing but saws in the truck. It always goes better the next day.
Unfortunately it seems that moment of clarity where I would make that decision always comes just after all the problems that arise :facepalm:.