Thread Repair Recommendation......

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone wanna sell me one Timesert and let me borrow the install stuff?
Or maybe even the install stuff for M6 helicoil?

I’ve been slowly working on this saw for the last few months and was about to finish it up last night when I ran into this snag. Literally had the muffler to install and the inner spike.
Depressing as all hell.

I may say fuggit and attempt to JB an M5 helicoil there.
Or reverse engineer and JB a fuggin M5 stud in place and use a nut to fasten the spike.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PL Premium is a construction adhesive, it is not an adhesive for an office environment. It worked for me, but you guys do what you want. If these tree company guys did not destroy them, they must work pretty darn well.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is the other option.... smear the hole and m6 bolt with jb or that marine epoxy and install it. Its a commercial saw. How often does a real world user remove the dogs to polish them?
Cheap and probably effective.
Fwiw, you can't tap threads in jb and get a fine threaded screw to hold in this application

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a fan of epoxy. But there's a few that work quite well. Jb is ok, Jb marine/water is better. Jb quick sucks. Marine tex is good. Lord products fusor structural is great (really like the heat set). Devcon structural is the best but I don't know where to get it anymore, or if they even make it anymore.

Steven

shawn022

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have ez lock solid inserts in 5 and 6 mm if you would like one sent. I know the 5mm need a 8mm hole to install. The 6mm would obviously take a larger hole. No special tools needed just a tap and red Loctite. Basically a readily available version of the idea suggested of making an insert on a lathe.