70cc groupie
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_2898.JPG

Now it has basically turned to coal.

Talk about a pain to get to for a 5 min. replacement.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lol... Welcome to my world. The best is when alldata has short times for a job on a 1975 salt spreader truck and the shop quotes it for book. Lol

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol... Welcome to my world. The best is when alldata has short times for a job on a 1975 salt spreader truck and the shop quotes it for book. Lol

You know I am just a shade tree guy using a Haynes manual. Sucks when Haynes is totally wrong on stuff which in this case it was most notably in regards to injector pump removal.

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been wrong all these years....they're Tappers not Rocker arms. :(

I blame my phone. Should have been tappet and Cummins.

Also this isn't the valve cover gasket. This is the tappet cover on the side of the engine that allows you to access the rods and tappets. In order to get to it you need to remove the battery on that side, the intake from the intercooler, the fuel filter, the TPS, the fuel return line, the injector lines, the injector pump, and on my model year the ECU.

Last edited:

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. No matter what the manual, they can be very wrong. If you guys ever want a procedure to do a job, feel free to ask. I can look it up.

Sometimes the car just fights back though. :)
Yeah. No matter what the manual, they can be very wrong. If you guys ever want a procedure to do a job, feel free to ask. I can look it up.

Sometimes the car just fights back though. :)

My next one is a timing belt for an 04 3.4 L Tacoma. I'll hit you up via a PM when I get close.

I don't usually blame the car. I curse the engineers. :)

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My next one is a timing belt for an 04 3.4 L Tacoma. I'll hit you up via a PM when I get close.

I don't usually blame the car. I curse the engineers. :)
The guy that works in the bay next to me always curses the engineers. Lol. It's pretty much a daily thing unless he's mad at the service department that day.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Also this isn't the valve cover gasket. This is the tappet cover on the side of the engine that allows you to access the rods and tappets. In order to get to it you need to remove the battery on that side, the intake from the intercooler, the fuel filter, the TPS, the fuel return line, the injector lines, the injector pump, and on my model year the ECU.
Even more fun to change the engine,, cracked block 99 Dodge, common problem, google 53 block.
BTW the engine is heavy,,,
BBB

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Oh, Side cover. ;) lol

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even more fun to change the engine,, cracked block 99 Dodge, common problem, google 53 block.
BTW the engine is heavy,,,
BBB
Hey i'v got one of those...
Paid $160 CAD to Customs for an abandoned one with a 16" crack down the side of the block.Runs nice though.
I plan on trying to weld it for my own use,or use lock and stitch bolts.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey i'v got one of those...
Paid $160 CAD to Customs for an abandoned one with a 16" crack down the side of the block.Runs nice though.
I plan on trying to weld it for my own use,or use lock and stitch bolts.
I got tired of reading about the fixes and failures, so got an engine out of a school bus with low miles.
The block cracks because its thin,,,,poor casting, I tried to sell my old engine no takers had 120,000 miles.
Crack was about 4 inches long, you could drive it with the rad cap off for a long while,,
Got $60 for scrap. Since the new engine was industrial I got to sell of the parts I couldnt use.
The cummins ecm and VP44 wont work on the dodge. Pan was different, tubo is different, so down to a bare long block and swap stuff over. You cant just swap any 5.9 in, must be a 99-02 as it is the only years that had a cam and crank sensor.

BBB