High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Stihl MS241 Thread

petedaycab

let's roll some coal...............
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
How do the 421 dolmar and the 241 Stihl compare performance wise? I know you can damn near buy 2 dolmars to the Stihl, and that is huge in my book.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
How do the 421 dolmar and the 241 Stihl compare performance wise? I know you can damn near buy 2 dolmars to the Stihl, and that is huge in my book.

It's been awhile since I ran the 421 but I chose the 241 over it. Without money in the equation, it comes down to how much you value the weight difference and auto tune. Both quality saws.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Performance wise I would say very little difference if any at all. If the 241 has any advantage i doubt its a difference worth double the price.

Yeah i agree the performance was similar IIRC. I didn't get to run timed cuts or anything like that. For me it came down to other considerations. I wanted to give an auto tune stihl a try. I'm pleased with the 241, but I was sorely tempted to save some cash and go with the Dolmar!

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah i agree the performance was similar IIRC. I didn't get to run timed cuts or anything like that. For me it came down to other considerations. I wanted to give an auto tune stihl a try. I'm pleased with the 241, but I was sorely tempted to save some cash and go with the Dolmar!
Dolmar makes a good saw, no doubt. My peeve with the 421 was that it just didnt feel good, and was heavier than it should have been. I wanted to fall in love with one, but didnt.
I'm a pretty frugal guy, and I agree the Dolmar is a LOT easier on the wallet. But for a couple hundred bucks, for a tool I'm going to use and make money with for a long time, those 2 bills didnt mean jack.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar makes a good saw, no doubt. My peeve with the 421 was that it just didnt feel good, and was heavier than it should have been. I wanted to fall in love with one, but didnt.
I'm a pretty frugal guy, and I agree the Dolmar is a LOT easier on the wallet. But for a couple hundred bucks, for a tool I'm going to use and make money with for a long time, those 2 bills didnt mean jack.

Yep when it came right down to it the 421, as my dealer dressed it, weighed pretty close to my echo 500p.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't put them on a scale, but my 421 feels about the same as my 026's. My first impression taking it out of the box was that it was heavier than I thought it would be. It's still an extremely well built saw for the price and I'm very happy with it. The limited variety of bars available for it is the biggest downfall.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't put them on a scale, but my 421 feels about the same as my 026's. My first impression taking it out of the box was that it was heavier than I thought it would be. It's still an extremely well built saw for the price and I'm very happy with it. The limited variety of bars available for it is the biggest downfall.

I believe Nate (fordf150) sells a conversion kit that will allow you to run a 5105 b&c pretty easy.

petedaycab

let's roll some coal...............
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agreed, but there is not much in way of a selection of bars for the 241 either. I would like to try to convert mine to run a large mount Stihl bar. But then it would not be as light and nimble either.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can change to a .325 chain, but it's a 041 mount bar. Harder to come by than the Stihl 241 bars as far as choice goes.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run a couple of 241s. They're really a great saw for a lot of jobs. I couldn't tell much of a performance difference between them and my 421 though. The price I was quoted on the 241 was double that of the Dolmar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you can get 16" 18" and even. 20" if that suits you in K041 bars. Nate does sell that conversion kit to run .325. I've been happy with the Oregon bars on mine.