STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally got the long awaited 051AV today.What a basket case! It's missing the choke rod assmbly & the clutch cover & outer bar plate (I knew about the clutch cover & bar plate).Also missing the kill switch.The recoil has the ;ower rear ear broken off where the screw holds it on to the crankcase.Three out of the five AV mounts are shot.I took the plug out to see if it was correct & now it doesn't want to screw back in.The top of the piston looks like it has either rust on it or carbon build up.The decompression valve doesn't work,constantly stuck open.To top it off it doesn't have spark,it looks to have an electronic ignition,but I won't know for sure till I pull the FW.This is going to turn into a major project & money pit.
Did you ever find a clutch cover? If not, I'm pretty sure I have one.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody got an idea as to how the inner bar plate comes off an 045 AV Super? I tried prying it off with a screwdriver & it's a no go.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody got an idea as to how the inner bar plate comes off an 045 AV Super? I tried prying it off with a screwdriver & it's a no go.
It's pretty easy, just pull the bar studs off and voila! It's free! 056's had loose bar plates, 045's had them captured by the bar studs.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you ever find a clutch cover? If not, I'm pretty sure I have one.
I was approved by eBay to send the saw back to the seller even though he doesn't accept returns.I'm waiting for the seller to send me a return shipping label,I'm supposed to get it by tomorrow at the latest.Stay tuned.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's pretty easy, just pull the bar studs off and voila! It's free! 056's had loose bar plates, 045's had them captured by the bar studs.
Here's my problem - I thought the tensioner pin (nut) was worn,but when I was fiddling with the bar trying to get it to stay on the bar studs,I saw that the bar kept falling off the studs which now lead me to believe that the studs are worn.How do I get the studs out & install new ones?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my problem - I thought the tensioner pin (nut) was worn,but when I was fiddling with the bar trying to get it to stay on the bar studs,I saw that the bar kept falling off the studs which now lead me to believe that the studs are worn.How do I get the studs out & install new ones?
Vice grips/channellocks or double nut the studs and just unscrew them.