POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I picked up some 1/8 3/16 tygon and husky duckbill 530026119 for it. Should pull the tank tonight.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still got the barbed fitting for the vent line?

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll know tonight. If not I have a generic Barb fitting that will work

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up two Super 33's last night. One was ran over with a dump truck before I was born... I am stripping any usable parts from it. Does anyone know the head size of the Allen bolts in the connecting rod?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tonight I was using my little Poulan 2150 to cut up the smaller branches from the big elm that was mostly eaten by it's Dolmar and Jonsered stablemates last weekend. Just for fun, I decided to shorten the stump a bit, which is around 24" in diameter. The little 2150 ate right into it, when the bar disappeared she finally started slowing down. This saw really doesn't oil enough for this kind of work, my experience has been that you can make it work by letting it idle for a time between cuts or by squirting oil directly into the bar with a squirt can periodically. I went about halfway through and then called it quits, just wanted to see how my 13 year old Walmart special would do. The capability of this $120.00 saw never ceases to amaze me.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
013.JPG Picked this up a couple of weeks ago during morning coffee.
The previous owner said it was his Dads saw,was a log house builder and really loved this saw.Mentioned that he liked the power from the boost port.
It showed up and i checked,yes it looks like it has the boost port.
Got the manuals a spare chain and rim with the saw.Got the saw yesterday but had to wait till today after i finished my belly dump to unwrap it

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Couldnt wait to break them in so went ahead and see what they were right now in 11" dry ash.

Poulan 3450 54cc broke in.

Poulan 3450 type 3 3750 60cc 2nd cuts only, not broke in after rebuild.

Poulan 380 60cc half tank through it after rebuild. Not broke in.

Stihl 034 036 62cc broke in.

Just always wondered how they compared. The 036 felt stronger in the cuts.
Same way I felt about the 3750 compared to the 262. 262 felt stronger. But the open port 60cc saws are right there in the cuts too.
The 034 036 feels so much like the poulans to me. Handling etc. Didnt care for the 262 in that department.

036 muffler modded and cant remember about the base gasket in or out.

380 muffler modded, no base gasket and some port work.

3450 3750 60cc muffler mod and base gasket in.

3450 54cc all stock muffler untouched. HDA 137 carb

Same stihl rs chain on all 4 - 3/8 7

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I dont want it but can get it 1 owner 8500. I dont want to pay the asking price or even near it to get in right hands. I know good saws and impressed with them. But I just dont do this series.

What are they selling for or be willing to pay to have me drive 3hrs round trip to get. Folks on my website already know about it so be quick in PM's if interested. Pic in the 8500 thread there.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got the guy on the 8500 1 owner down some from 6 to 4. Posted pics of the piston, bottom etc looks good. IMO super nice unrestored original saw.
I do not want but will drive to pick up for someone to make sure it gets in the right hands.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh Poulan, how far you have fallen. I don't think it would be that hard for Husky to make Poulan a major player in the farm and firewood market segment again. Echo has that segment pretty well wrapped up around here, anybody who actually does some research before they buy realizes they are getting alot more for their money with an Echo 590 than a Rancher or Farm Boss. There is evidence that it could work, the Poulan Pro 5020 is a real bargain and quite popular. I'm a member of this market segment and I'm sold on Echo. If Poulan had comparable saws I would be happy to support them as well.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed.
Unfortunately for us the only growth market in chainsaws is the consumer market. The ones that people buy, leave fuel in and throw away when the repair guys says $150 to fix it. The pro saw market is pretty much static, high margin business but very low volume which makes it kind of insignificant here.
Poulan made some pretty decent saws for all markets at one time.

Husqvarna has stated for the past several years that the North American market is a low margin market for them. It makes one wonder why they even stay in the saw market. Most of their money is made in the lawn and garden market.

As for Echo. Slow and steady and they always start. Likely the best homeowner saw around.
My first saw was a 310.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Echo has shown, there is a demand for quality machines that cost less than "real" proline units. I think Echo has this figured out. Why should they chase after the relatively small pro market which Husky and Stihl have a death grip on when the serious homeowner/firewood/farm market is quite robust and none of the other marques have shown a huge amount of interest in it? Most Echo dealers are already in the sort of places where this market segment shops, particularly hardware stores, farm stores, and general OPE shops. Echo has their market figured out and are doing extremely well with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against other brands but Echo (and to a lesser extent Dolmar/Makita) have shown me that they listen to my needs and make the products that I want and that's why nearly all my 2 stroke needs are covered by them. I'm a serious user of these machines, I just don't put as many hours on them or earn a paycheck with them as a pro would. I want quality and I'm not afraid to pay a fair price for it, at the same time I refuse to spend hundreds extra on a machine because of a name or a small advantage over others which cost less. Nor am I going to buy a plastic crankcase Stihl or Husky with a fixed oiler when I can buy a metal crankcase/adjustable oiler Echo for the same or often less.

I think there is potential for Poulan, or even Mac or Homelite for that matter, to be a player for customers such as myself. After all, these brands used to do very well here with well respected models like the Poulan 3400, Mac 10-10, and Homie Super XL. Until that happens, Echo is going to keep getting more of my business!

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Picking the 8500 up today. Will cut with it and take some pics later then get it ready for new owner. :cool:

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On a roll this week. Loving this retirement life. :borra2:

More time to do what I like. Find saws. So far been pretty dang easy this week.

Will just go on the shelf till the someone wants one of these. Otherwise makes a nice decoration for the shop.

p744a.jpg p744b.jpg

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I need to stop looking for saws
tongue.gif
. #4 harder to find saws in 7 days or so.
shocked.gif

Seen ad for craftsman 3.7, figured the one I could care less about for myself. Got a pic and I was like heck ya. The 60cc one I am into with 24" bar when new.
I have only seen 3 and maybe heard of 4 total. I have owned 2 of the 3 I seen before. Last one I sold was 2 a guy here that had been searching for one for 2 years. Told him I aint married to any saws.
wink.gif

This one had wrong bar nuts and washers but no big deal. Also still has the craftsman 24" labeled K041 mount 3/8 bar.

c37.jpg c37c.jpg