MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that D44 if my info is correct it's Mc stock number 51747 for the rings ,standard size .However being McCulloch it's likely some others might work .I didn't take the time to try and cross reference another piston but again as typical McCulloch I'd about bet that bore is used on other models. .

cinci5

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Making a new part if anyone is interested they will be on my eBay soon for SP125 & SP125C aluminum exhaust gasket / heat shield.

Attachments

• IMG_4972.JPG
    IMG_4972.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4973.PNG
    IMG_4973.PNG
    398.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Turd Furgeson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with two different size taper bores in the large frame three shoe clutches? As we were putting things away today I came across two used clutches and a whole bag of spiders with a larger taper bore. They are close to or the same as the other large frame clutches, but all of the large frame three shoe clutches I found have the smaller tapers (83539, 86464, 88819) The rotors on the IPL's are called out as 86112, the bag of those I have are all the larger bore.

Any input is appreciated.

Mark

Mark, I'm not sure if you ever figured this out, 86464 is a SP80 clutch assembly.

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of discrepancies in that video.1) he couldn't even pronounce McCulloch properly (as about 90% of people can't.2) he said there were 3 screws that held the oil pump on,when there are really 4.3)new to me that the Timber Bear is 54c After doing some digging, it does look as if four hole oil pumps were used. That I couldn't remember off the top of my head.
00J0J_fFIJeKyZdjM_12w0Mo_1200x900.jpg00w0w_3qKc2py0ybv_12w0Mo_1200x900.jpg
View attachment 413015

Last edited:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Scott - I believe we figured that out a while back. I have a number of the SP80 type clutches and maybe one of the SP125 type.

FWIW, there were both 3.4 and 3.7 In3 Eager Beavers and Timber Bears. In reality the difference in displacement was not quite as much as that, the "3.4" models have a bore of 1.810" and the "3.7" models have a bore of 1.837". Both use the same crankshaft with 1.375" stroke.

Some of the McCulloch documentation is way off, and they never bothered to correct it over several years.

1711199419648.png
Mike Acres site is also incorrect with the bore diameter on the 605/3.4 models, the actual dimension is 1.810" not 1.57".

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doing a quick check it appears that D44 afore mentioned has a 2 inch bore which is 50.8 mm .Caber does list rings in 50 mm by 1.5 mm thick. wonder if something like this might work in a pinch if the rings are shot on that saw . Thinking out load being a McCulloch it should have two rings and being that close there might not be much if any blow by .Plus because of the age it most likely doesn't have a high compression ratio.
Then again you can make rings which I've done but it's a long tedious process.It would take a very good lathe and the knowledge to use it plus a surface grinder with a magnetic base .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doing a quick check it appears that D44 afore mentioned has a 2 inch bore which is 50.8 mm .Caber does list rings in 50 mm by 1.5 mm thick. wonder if something like this might work in a pinch if the rings are shot on that saw . Thinking out load being a McCulloch it should have two rings and being that close there might not be much if any blow by .Plus because of the age it most likely doesn't have a high compression ratio.
Then again you can make rings which I've done but it's a long tedious process.It would take a very good lathe and the knowledge to use it plus a surface grinder with a magnetic base .

I did something like that for my 250 I rebuilt. Found some cabers that where a hair bigger in bore and filed them down to the correct end gap. That saw was a strong runner.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We went to see about the 10-10S this a.m.I called the guy & told him we were on our way & he told me he wouldn't be there,but the saw would be in the back of his truck & that I should just leave the money for it on the seat.WTF! That was the strangest Marketplace deal I'd ever done!.I was told yesterday that it was missing the chain brake for it,he'd misplaced it.Not really a deal breaker,but not described like that on Marketplace.So,I got there & saw it was missing more than just the chain brake.It was missing the muffler cap & screws,& the baffle was bent almost in half.The AF knob was missing & he'd put a screw up through the carb cover.Apparently he'd broken the stud off the carb cover.I also noticed it was missing a bar stud,I found it in the oil tank later when I got home & went through the saw.
I checked it for spark & what do ya know,it had the wrong plug in it.I put a new fuel filter in it & fuerled it up.It took 3 primes before it pulled fuel on it's own,but it's a damn nice running saw! I went back out after lunch & saw there was fuel in the air box,so I'll need to replace the fuel line.Here are some pics of the saw..

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 8

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did something like that for my 250 I rebuilt. Found some cabers that where a hair bigger in bore and filed them down to the correct end gap. That saw was a strong runner.
I only checked Caber and most likley missed some sizes .Then too you might be able to find something on Wiseco but my word would they cost .A pair of Wiseco circlips sells for 15 bucks and some pistons are in the $200 range .I've got a few sets of OEM McCulloch rings but have no idea what they are or even where I put them .A flea bay thing about 50-60 pounds of Mac stuff the frieght cost me more than the parts .However in that mess was a 250 and a 700 power head plus a bow bar for a big reeder I'll never use .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only checked Caber and most likley missed some sizes .Then too you might be able to find something on Wiseco but my word would they cost .A pair of Wiseco circlips sells for 15 bucks and some pistons are in the $200 range .I've got a few sets of OEM McCulloch rings but have no idea what they are or even where I put them .A flea bay thing about 50-60 pounds of Mac stuff the frieght cost me more than the parts .However in that mess was a 250 and a 700 power head plus a bow bar for a big reeder I'll never use .

Yard sale!

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I repaired a few more PM6/Mini Mac starter pulleys this week. While looking for a suitable piece of material to reinforce the pulley someone brought in a 1" copper coupling that requires only minimal boring to achieve a nice tight fit. Once they are pressed in place I add a pop rivet to make sure they stay put.

20240323_111311.jpg

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This piston ring conversation has sparked a memory .I once tracked down a set of generic size rings for a Hercules IXK engine just by size .This was before the internet BTW .I've got the lists made by Perfect Circle,Hastings,Sealed Power etc .Most likely those 50-60 year old parts numbers could still be active .Now two cycle rings perhaps outboard boat motor rings could be substituted .Some times you have to think outside of the box if you can't find OEM .