MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I just checked to make sure the plunger disc was free and the spring was rebounding. I did spray it thoroughly with Brake parts cleaner.
I cant honestly say if it came from a saw I actually ran, because I'm old and dont remember...😁
As has been said, make sure the gasket is sealing correctly first. Its a sketchy connection.
You can get some bar oil in there initially, but it will seal and clear up after running it some.
If it doesn't, let me know. Ive got a couple more I can send Chris.
Brent,
I ordered the oiler mount kit from Mark. Makes sense to do it the Mac way, as no other way works for me. You guys are the best. I am still working on that video when I get it all done right.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any interesting McCulloch's here
Screenshot_2023-10-20-13-05-20-794.jpgScreenshot_2023-10-20-13-04-40-457.jpg I'm ater the two alpina's I need parts for pro 41s and pro 45s
I can probably get them tomorrow.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same thing I was going to say and run from those top handles, mini macs have been my most frustrating experience working on a saw
I've worked on dozens of mini macs since the 80s
That might be a alpina they made a licensed copy of them for a long time.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother in law bought totes full of them at an auction and dropped them off to me to fix up. I did even less work on saws then and I’m still nowhere near skilled at it now so I just have a bad taste with them.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over a year ago - this thread got me looking for my first Mcculloch to play with. From y’all’s suggestions I decided on a Pro Mac 60. It’s still waiting it’s turn…..which is crazy because it’s my favorite saw to look at here. It stays on display. I love this thing.

That tank in the background is a recent score for an awesome price. Hoping I can save the current tank - but even with JB weld or another epoxy, it might not be repairable. It’s really really bad. Thankfully nothing else on the saw has any rot.

The only other part I need to order is a tank gasket. Then I will dig in!

IMG_4582.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Motologist

Pro Keyboard Pusher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the elder 8200 is some 24" EAB kill ash yesterday to help out a neighbor. Unfortunately, she was trying to give it away on FB. I politely told her the ad needed to go; she could dispose of it or use it for firewood herself.

I had to turn up the Hi/Lo 1/16 of a turn and brought the idle down an 1/8. Nothing more than a seasonal adjustment. Found the obligatory rotten spot in the trunk. paid for that with time spent filing a 28" loop of FCFC.

Mac on Stump.jpg

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never ran a pro mac 60 but own a SP 60. I have pro mac 55 that screams (as far as macs go) and my SP 60 has more grunt w/ a slower chain speed. I run a 24" on the 60 usually full skip but currently has full comp. Full comp I can't lean on the dogs but for 60cc's it's pretty nasty compared to 13k+ rpm modern saw.
Nice pick up and they do look good, just detailed 2 of mine today after a couple hard weekends of use

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I"m not mistaken the 8200 was the last of the large size 10 series .I think it had a pressed together crankshaft connecting rod assembly .Somebody on one of the forums maybe this one bought one and was concerned it had a little scuff on the piston .I sent him some fine grained diamond lapping paper .like 5 micron .As far as I know it's still running .I don't think I've ever seen one myself .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 8200's were quite unique; three piece crankshaft, 6 bolt crankcase, bearing in the small end of the connecting rod, wrist pin secured with retaining rings, peculiar piston, and the 223708 ignition coil.

Mark

Motologist

Pro Keyboard Pusher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I"m not mistaken the 8200 was the last of the large size 10 series .I think it had a pressed together crankshaft connecting rod assembly .Somebody on one of the forums maybe this one bought one and was concerned it had a little scuff on the piston .I sent him some fine grained diamond lapping paper .like 5 micron .As far as I know it's still running .I don't think I've ever seen one myself .

Building on Mark's comment, it was the last of the 82cc Mac's and the only one without a hole for a decomp. The 8200 was behind the time when it was released in 1993. The saw is heavier than a Husky 281XP is 3~ lbs. and 1 lb. heavier than a 394XP in dry weight. Less hp than either. Mine is 24 lbs. fully loaded with fuel and oil, 28" McCulloch/Windsor bar and Oregon chain. Half wrap handlebar, bucking spike, and skidplate. Perfect balance off the handlebar with that combination. A/V seems comparable. I've heard the 8200 is 2.5 lbs. heavier than the original 850 which sounds about right. No clue which one would be faster in the cut, 850 is a heck of a lot louder. The oil tank cover on mine appears to have been DE80 dead stock at the Mac factory. The black paint was resprayed dark gray.

I have a hunch a stock 8200 performs comparably to a stock 281XP assuming a 28"-36" bar buried in the wood and well-tuned chain on both. Smaller wood and a 272XP will probably beat it. They're cool saws and probably the last sold in the US with 'old school' personality.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That said,no decomp I would assume it might have a "Q port " or whatever you want to call it .Else you'd have a hard time pulling it over .Case in point .,McCulloch version of a Partner P-100 99 cc's ,has the port modification and starts easy .Mac SP 81,decomp but if it closes too fast is about like running a rock through the cylinder .
As far as compairing the 850 against a 281 Husky .A well tuned Mac 82 cc cuts about the same but it lacks a little speed .So a day in the woods would be about the same but over the cant's usually the Husky wins out by a nose .Then factor in most of those cant racers have been modified and there really isn't much you can do with the Mac .