MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have another question. So now that my motor got filled with bar oil, do I have to tear it down and clean it? I drained the oil tank and turned the motor over many times. Got a lot of oil out and in the muffler can. I was able to start the saw after some time heavy smoker but almost cleared. I am assuming it got all up in the transfers.
Good practices to clear it or just make the repairs and run it?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Run it, it will clear up soon enough.

DSC01457.JPG

DSC01461.JPG

The most positive solution is to use the two additional screws to secure the pump in place.

DSC04052.JPG

Later oil tanks to not have the locations indicated in the casting, and the factory solution was to use the hard rubber wedge shape seal (gasket) and the spring clip.

DSCN5918.JPG

DSC02761.JPG

A quick Google search took me right to this old thread.

Mark

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mark. My spring doesn't resemble that, it is rather thin and bolts on top of the oiler adjustment.

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Run it, it will clear up soon enough.

View attachment 392991

View attachment 392992

The most positive solution is to use the two additional screws to secure the pump in place.

View attachment 392993

Later oil tanks to not have the locations indicated in the casting, and the factory solution was to use the hard rubber wedge shape seal (gasket) and the spring clip.

View attachment 392994

View attachment 392995

A quick Google search took me right to this old thread.

Mark do you still have any of these clips for the 10-10 oiler? I would be interested and also a rubber gasket for the oiler as well.
Mark do you still have any of these oiler clips for the 10-10? I would like one and the gasket too? Send me a quote if they are available.

Attachments

• 21469-d8843e9beb9eb28204de7805a375410a.jpeg
    21469-d8843e9beb9eb28204de7805a375410a.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 19

Motologist

Pro Keyboard Pusher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have the contact info for this service? I have an SP81 cylinder that needs to be fixed.

I have an IM out to @Vinnywv and sent a message to @Red97 through his website. Will be giving him a call on Monday as well. I can keep you posted what I hear back.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lohan - message sent

moto - Let me know if you don't hear back from Vinny. I have Mitch's contact information in my shop.

Mark

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's any help for those that can't locate an oiler spring clamp, they aren't to hard to make if you're a bit handy, The steel should have some spring to it

Here's a diagram I made up from an OEM clip. I'm pretty sure Mark provided the original.

Attachments

• 10 series oil pump bracket.PDF
    2 MB · Views: 12

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rediscovered this one in the attic. Seems I will have another clean up project for and interesting(?) late model McCulloch for the display.

20231012_164801.jpg

20231012_164806.jpg

The air filter cover comes right off the 32/35/38cc Tucson McCulloch saws, the stop switch goes back to the 10 Series.

20231012_164839.jpg

Jenn Feng family.

20231012_164817.jpg

I ran this 2050AV for a bit, 18" bar and .325 chain. It was not a terrible saw but certainly no guts like the 54cc 10 Series models. I sold it to a local yard care / landscaper, probably should have kept it for the display...

20200322_140440.jpg

Mark

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well guys, I finally got the 10-10a fired today. Unfortunately when I added oil to the reservoir there was a problem. Somehow the chain oil flooded into the motor and SMOKESCREEN! NOW I am by no means a Mac expert, just a crackpot trying to enjoy a good old saw. i was given an auto oiler from a member here and it was functioning when he shipped it. It is one of the metal case deals.
Anybody got some ideas what/ where I could have gone wrong? All seals were new when I rebuilt it and the motor is NOS from Bob Johnson's shop.
So I just checked to make sure the plunger disc was free and the spring was rebounding. I did spray it thoroughly with Brake parts cleaner.
I cant honestly say if it came from a saw I actually ran, because I'm old and dont remember...😁
As has been said, make sure the gasket is sealing correctly first. Its a sketchy connection.
You can get some bar oil in there initially, but it will seal and clear up after running it some.
If it doesn't, let me know. Ive got a couple more I can send Chris.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks to everybody for helping out. Apparently my old pump came out of the 10-10s
Came from a 1010A.
MOST of the ones I have are the aluminum body single bolt style.
Heres one I have on a parts saw I just got a couple of weeks ago.
Looks pretty good.
Let me know if you need it, and I'll get it checked out and sent your way.
1015232029.jpg1015232029a.jpg

Motologist

Pro Keyboard Pusher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard back from Joe. He doesn't sleeve McCullochs. Apparently, they have a higher risk of the cylinder cracking when sleeving. He also said he may be offering a replating service soon; I'm assuming through U.S Chrome based on Mark's previous comments.

Not sure what I did to be so fortunate, in a bout of wild luck I hit the ‘mac-pot’ this weekend… long story short I have two 8200’s that run great and a pair of PM700's.

Mac Family.JPG

The Long Story:

I was browsing FB marketplace on Friday night where I noticed an ad simply titled “Mccullochs”. I expected someone was cleaning out their garage by asking too much money for a PM610, a 3200, and maybe an Eager Beaver. Then I noticed the cover photo of the ad clearly showed the distinct gray fuel tank and large air filter cover of not one but TWO Pro Mac 8200’s next to a pair of Pro Mac 700’s. I managed to not only be the first person to respond, but my wife had to work this weekend. I didn’t have to tell her I bought four chainsaws until they were already in our garage!

I was given a complete history of both saws. The seller purchased both 8200’s new. He wasn’t wild about selling them, but tired after lugging around 18.5 lbs. of Mac for the last 25+ years. The shiny 500i on his bench also weighed less and cut faster. The one without the safety label (2nd left) on the brake flag was purchased new in the 90’s from a local dealer and spent most of its time cutting hardwoods. It shows normal signs of wear but is free of mag rot and the A/V’s are surprisingly good. When he acquired the second saw, the first one was put on ripping duty to fit large logs onto a sawmill. The 8200 with the sticker on the flag (leftmost), the second saw, came to the same dealer shortly before McCulloch folded. The guy I bought it from had a "running disagreement" with the dealer over its value, triumphing only after the dealer passed away and the seller bought it at auction. Other than usual paint wear on the bottom from the saw idling, a chip on the air filter cover, and UV damage to the stickers from it sitting in a shop the saw is essentially new. The front A/V mount differs from the IPL and part of the chain tensioner was installed upside down. Both saws have original 28” McCulloch bars. I'll be running the more used saw at the MN GTG in December. The only things I'm messing with on it are adding the missing spikes and installing an OEM skidplate I have lying around.

The PM700’s had been dropped off with him for repairs and the saws were never picked up. One had been straight gassed but caught quickly and the saw was undamaged. The other developed a fuel leak when starting and running; it also smokes quite a bit. They’re also exceptionally clean and have McCulloch bars. I’ll be going through both saws to get them back to good running condition; hoping to have the better one going in time for the GTG. I blew a crank seal on my 372 I really need to fix...

Receiving a full history of these saws from their now former owner was a real treat. He tried to clean the permanent marker initials off the saws, which I quickly put a stop to. They add character and depict part of each saw's history. The seller was adamant in showing me how well the 8200’s ran and how much compression the 700’s had. I was frankly surprised how strong the 8200's were. I did not expect to find another 8200 fan less than an hour away, let alone someone who used them as work saws for over 20 years. I am consistently amazed by the chainsaw enthusiast community. No other group I associate with are as inviting and willing to share knowledge.

nv656

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much?
Make offer, let me know what you’re looking for!. I’m a Stihl/ husqvarna guy so no idea what to look for on these. Look to be in average used logging saw condition piston shows some scoring etc.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is an incredible find Moto, take care of those saws and they will still be working for you 20 years from now.

This is a re-run photo but Joey Taylor and I lined up our 82cc saws for a photo op a few years ago.

DSC02552.JPG

DSC02546.JPG

Mark