Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for people more knowledgeable than me:

In true late era Mcculloch fashion, I have a PM 8200 with chipped cylinder chrome (pic below). Am I completely SOL? The piston is in great condition, I could just barely feel where the piston has touched the chipped areas. I cleaned those spots up with lapping paper.

If there's someone out there who'd bore it and make an iron sleeve, I'd do it. Looks like U.S Chrome (my first choice) isn't doing blind bores right now and I would need to find a dealer to go through. I have two places I'm going to call on Monday, I don't expect either to pan out. If anybody has any ideas, I'm happy to hear them.

Cheers!

View attachment 392391

@Vinnywv has a friend that will bore and iron sleeve them.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They can be sleeved, but US Chrome is gearing up to do blind cylinders again. I was told it would be soon.

Mark
So on sending a cylinder to be rechromed, what prep needs to be done?
Can I just send a cleaned cylinder with the chrome thats still on it?

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on sending a cylinder to be rechromed, what prep needs to be done?
Can I just send a cleaned cylinder with the chrome thats still on it?

I’ve sent in a couple of motocross cylinders and there was no prep work.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only requirement is that you have a piston to go along with it so they can match the final bore to the piston.

Having it as clean as possible it always a good idea as the less time they have to spend on it the more likely they are to get it turned around quickly.

I am not sure exactly when they will be accepting the blind cylinders again, if I talk with Woody this week I will see what he knows.

Mark

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on the subject of 125C pistons, has anyone had luck with sourcing new aftermarket ones?
I would imagine SOMEONE has to make them. Any recommendations of which to use and any to stay away from?
I havent done any research on this yet, so any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone had a look on feebay lately at the prices of Mac saws?I did a little scrolling yesterday & almost had a stroke! I thought that by now the prices would've started coming down,but they just keep going up by leaps & bounds.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not Mac saws. Our money is getting worth less. Of course, I feel old saying that I remember when you could pick up a good running super 797 on eBay for around $325! And I couldn't afford that then!