MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aluminum alloy I believe, so they will be a little heavier than the original parts. He said there shouldn't be any problem with the heat.
Now maybe someone will get the air filters made. That would be awesome. Oh and start doing Nikasil cylinders again. 😁 Have to appreciate the people that take on the endeavor of remanufacturing rare parts.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You like Mac blowers? I have one that I used an awful lot 'til I got my Echo (blasphemy!), it ran the last time I used it. 1980's/early 90's Eager Beaver similar to the one on your shelf. You pay shipping and it's yours, I want to see it go to a good home and your shop sure looks like one!

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After that show of beautiful beasts, I feel bad showing my newest finds.
1010A the guy said was seized. I squirted a little Kroil in it and rocked it. Recoil was all that was holding it.
Think that one will at least be a good parts saw.
The PM55 was actually the one I wanted out of the two.
Of course its been lying on its side in water for who-knows how long, and is stuck tight. Even when I get it loose, the chrome is probably going to be bubbled up.
Oh well. Parts for another one someday maybe.
He was nice enough to throw in another good clutch and drum, and a supposedly good coil for a 610...
0914231719a.jpg0914231719b.jpg0914231719c.jpg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow those are some serious saws. I’d imagine they’d take some big wood to keep happy in the cut. How are the vibrations on those 125’s? My first saw was skil 1661 91?cc and it’d leave ears and hands ringing after awhile

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks everyone.
That one was actually a VERY nice gift from someone who visits here, and happens to live in the same state I do.

I was drooling over someones nice saw, and he PMed me offering me that saw if I would come and get it.
Needless to say, we made that happen.

I'm not the type to just take, so ive tried to repay him any way I can.
I believe kindness should be repaid in kind.
I used to get down his way with work quote often, but now I'm stuck in South Carolina.
I need to take a minute and go at least buy him lunch.

As for that saw, ive heard it run.
It had a spark issue. Tried to fix the coil, but the primary lead coming out of the housing was broken. So contaminated I couldnt resolder it.
Of course, he had a spare coil that he sent me.
Now it will run, but there are several other issues I need to address before putting it into wood.
Oiler isnt working, need to fix the recoil etc.
Main problem is that there is some chrome peeling off the bore.
I dont feel bad running it for short stints tuning and repairing things, but need to address that before doing any real cutting with it, and thats why ive kept it on the back burner until I can do it correctly.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow those are some serious saws. I’d imagine they’d take some big wood to keep happy in the cut. How are the vibrations on those 125’s? My first saw was skil 1661 91?cc and it’d leave ears and hands ringing after awhile

Vibrations aren't bad at all. With the "Cushioned Power" design that was introduced on the CP-125, McCulloch had an excellent anti-vibration system. That system was copied in spirit by several other manufacturers. Vibrations were the main complaint of western fallers with the 795/797 saws, even though they were great runners and could take a lot of abuse.

The SPs are my favorite big saws ever to run, hands down. My next favorite is the Stihl 084. The 084 is still a great tool even though that chassis
is almost 40 years old. Of course the Macs are still great tools as well, some 55 years later.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the 8th or 9th "last part needed to finish up the saw" for my SP81. Turns out the flywheel taper was fubared too, so I coughed up $40 for a n.o.s. flywheel. Kinda odd how the original flywheel is bare but the replacement is painted black, maybe so you can tell if the flywheel has been swapped? Hopefully this weekend I'll quit slackin' and finally button up this saw.
IMG_4684.jpeg