MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sell the man a piston Al. You know very well you will meet Jesus before you ever use it. :)
This is what they look like with a Stihl 200T rotating assembly .Give me a couple of days to let me see if I have any more . I got stuff but I lack organizational skills like Mark .It's seldom weather if but rather where is it .

Attachments

• DSCN1116[1].JPG
    DSCN1116[1].JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 15

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what they look like with a Stihl 200T rotating assembly .Give me a couple of days to let me see if I have any more . I got stuff but I lack organizational skills like Mark .It's seldom weather if but rather where is it .

Don't come to my shop Al. You'll feel at home!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now let's not get the cart before the horse .If that thing gobbled up the piston and broke the rings what caused it ?If the cylinder is toast a replacement piston would not cure it ,just get chewed up again .That would be a waste of time .
Tell ya what I'm going to do .I'm going to go south about 15 miles to the one Stihl dealer I trust in this area. .I'm about out of mix oil and if I'm going to pay premium prices I'll use Stihl before I buy that gold plated Husqvarna stuff .TSC dropped the ball damn it .So at any rate they've always got a beater in the dead pile ,they won't fix them . I'll take a peak and if it isn't total junk I'll buy it for this guy and it will be cheap because nobody wants one . It might be a week or it could be a month because other than when it's cold out like today I have a ton of stuff to do .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is no Echo dealer in this area nor Husqvarna .However it seems like a Stihl dealer is on every corner .TSC is going to the dogs so what's left is Lowes and Menards .I did stock up on bar oil though at Menards not so long ago .Those wing nuts at TSC tried to sell me that premix stuff .VP or whatever they call it .I was polite and declined .I'm old school 32 to 1 so it probably doesn't make any difference on what I use .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A long long time ago we ran them on the same stuff my old mans Evinrudes ran on .Those 25 HP boat motors gulped 16 to 1 .They did however lay down a pretty good oil slick behind them .
I am NOT going to start an oil thread here. Seriously.
I have heard the Stihl orange oil was plenty good enough.
No need to run the Ultra, or pay the difference.
I personally pay extra for 40:1 Trufuel premixed at TSC or Home Depot in saws that may sit for awhile.
Been doing it for a year or so now, and no problems so far.
On stuff I run a lot, I mix regular corn squeezins with Wal Mart TCW3 outboard oil. It doesnt get stored in ANY of my equipment. If I dont run it out, I pour it out and run a little Trufuel before I store for the winter. Basically, any longer than 2 weeks, and it gets dumped.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol, NOT. Going to start an oil thread. Thats hilarious.

Short story....had a guy bring me in a piston to work one day. Scored badly. He asks, what do you think caused this? I looked and said it got too hot. I asked him what oil ratio he used in this vintage equipment. He said 90:1. I said, well its not enough oil. Id mix it no less than 40:1 or more. He said but the bottle says its ok up to 100:1? I asked how much pistons were and are they readily available? He said no. I said well use a lower ratio. This engine is a full on engine. Barely idles, nearly always full throttle in a hovercraft! Cool as heck but still needs proper lubrication. He switched his ratio and no more issues. That was his second piston at 100.00 a pop, plus tear down. I guess my point is, no matter the brand you choose, mix it enough for proper lubrication and combustion.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My point exactly .If you're going to err ,err on the rich side .I don't dump the fuel but I do rebuild carbs likely more than most do .I'll probably need to on the big Homelite in my avatar because it's been some time since I've ran it .WTH it's
still alive since about 1968 and me since 1948 and we've both been well oiled a time or two .:)

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went out cutting with my son today & it wasn't a good day for the Timber Bear.I took 4 saws - the PM310 that Mark H.got running for me,the XL-103 (totally had it with that saw),A Husky 41 (my son likes to use that saw),& the T.B.
I started out with the 310 & the chain wanted to bind.Next I tried the 103 & it ran good,but thge idle was too low & it quit & I couldn't get it to restart.Time to shelf that PITA.Then my poor Timber Bear decided to break off the two front screws that hold the recoil on & lose the rear screw by the switch.The only screw that stayed in the saw was the short screw right by the handle.I guiess I'll have to Loctite the screws.I pulled the recoil off after I got home to see what damages there were & they were minimal.One of the screws got wedged in between the flywheel & the ignition module.I had to take the module off & use a chisel & hammer to get the screw out.I tore the saw down & got the oil tank off,it's pretty much useless with 2 broken screws in it.When I went to take the oil pump off I found out why the automatic oiler never worked after I had someone put a new pump on it about 5 yrs.ago,that was before I started working on saws.The morons never tightened the screws that hold the pump on.That was the same dumb ass that told me that Mac saws weren't designed to cut more than 50 cord of wood.(because he sold Stihls & Husky)
I'm waiting to hear back from Mark about the oil tank & screws.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding things like chainsaws you can hear all kinds of old "wives tales " with no merit at all spread by kind of old wives if you think about it . With regards to the cinder block Macs like the 610/Timber Bear etc the one in my shed of the three I know I'm on the fourth bar and I must have worn out a 5 gallon bucket full of chains .Although it's became a shelf queen it's still alive and well .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today the weather here was something to be desired,so no cutting.It was snowing with a good coating on the ground when I got up at 7:15.Oh well,a good day for a depressing dr.visit (more on that at another time),& time for saw work.I put the carb on the Timber Bear that was half seized when I got it & went to hook the fuel line on the carb & the line broke in half,go figure.No time like the present for a new line,only took about 5 minutes.Put fuel in it & 8 pulls later it was running like a champ.The only thing I have to do to it yet is put a new choke rod in it & that's coming from Bob J.
Now my next project will be to get my PM10-10 figured out.