MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That assumed leaky welch plugs nail polish used to work but they say the ethanol laced gasoline eats right through it .Red Loctite seems to work better .I can't remember the specific number but I've got a collection of those products in my garage .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW some times those 40 year old fuel lines can develop a crack inside the gas tank .It works until you tip it to one side or the other which opens up the crack and it sucks air .It isn't always just limited to McCullochs because they'll all do it .
If the fuel line had a crack in it & it was sucking air it'd cause a lean out.I'm having just the opposite problem - it loads up.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That assumed leaky welch plugs nail polish used to work but they say the ethanol laced gasoline eats right through it .Red Loctite seems to work better .I can't remember the specific number but I've got a collection of those products in my garage .
I've been using ethanol free gas for the past 3-4 yrs.now,so my nail polish on the welch plugs is not affected.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm out of ideas then
I'll pull the carb & go through it & if that doesn't work I'll replace a seal or two.Sometimes one can get lucky with a saw that's sat for yrs.& get away without touching the carb,& other times ya have to pull the carb.It's a crap shoot at best.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today was a busy one & interesting too.I started out by cutting a good sized limb off an apricot tree in my back yard & bucked it up with my Eager Beaver 2.1.I went to re-fuel it & when I checked the oil tank I found out that the oiler wasn't working once again.I had it working last summer.I gave up on the automatic oiler working yrs.ago & was happy with the manual oiler working,but that's an ongoing thing with that little turd.
Next on my busy list was the receipt of my newest purchase - a basket case Timber Bear.The saw's recoil was completely seized & I don't know if I can get it working again.All 4 screws that hold the recoil on had to be heated & pounded to get them to break loose.The good news is the saw fired on a prime in the plug hole,it wouldn't fire with a prime in the carb.I'm going to pull the throttle handle & make sure all the gaskets & insulators are in good shape.There may not be a gasket under the carb & maybe that's why it wouldn't pull fuel,the carb was very loose too like it was off the saw.I'll need to check the fuel filter too.The choke rod is bent & will probably break soon,it won't open the choke or close properly.The oil pump rod was stuck & not working.There was some white death in a couple places,nothiong serious.The saw has great compression & I'd have to say it's a low hr.saw.Looks like I've got another project,Lol.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the latest on the Timber Bear.Funny thing happened today,I had the recoil sitting in the vise & I needed room to work,so I took it out of the vise.Just for the helluvit I pulled the rope/handle & it pulled out easily & retracted the rope.All the lube I sprayed into it yesterday must've done it's magic overnight.
Next I put a new fuel filter in it & tried to get it to fire up,but it would only fire on a prime.I pulled the carb & just as I suspected there was no gasket under the carb.I pulled the carb apart & it looks like someone rebuilt the carb,just forgot the gasket.Next thing I did was get the oil pump rod back in the hole.The hole for the rod was corroded,so I put some rolled up sandpaper in it & twirled it around for a bit.The rod went into place,but when I pushed on it it wouldn't spring back the way it should.I figured a couple drops of oil might help & it started working like it should.
Before I put the carb back in I'm going to take the skid pl;ate off the bottom so I can get a good look at the trigger lock to see why it's not working.I think the PO took that apart too & didn't get it quite back together properly.Time will tell.I'm getting there on this poor lost cause of a saw.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday proved to be interesting.I went to get the cherry tree that my son & I had cut down last weekend.I took a Poulan 3400 & SP81.I had to quarter the logs to be able to load them & after not even one full cut with the Poulan I found that neither oiler was working.SP81 to the rescue.By the time I got home & unloaded the 2nd load of wood it was 5:00.I still had another ash tree to take down for another neighbor.I took my 81,Timber Bear,& 2 Homies.I dropped the ash with the Timber Bear & did most of the limbing with my little EZ.When it got to the bigger part of the tree I was going to finish it with the Timber Bear,but it got stuck in a cut & I tried to get the 81 fired up to cut out the TB.The 81 wouldn't start.I guess I flooded it.I ended up getting the little EZ fired up & getting the TB freed.I went to fire up the TB again & it wouldn't start.It was running all screwy from last week.It seemed I couldn't get it tuned properly.I replaced the FW seal last month & it was running fine,but now I believe I need to change the clutch side seal.
I managed to get the 81 fired up to finish up on the main stem of the tree.By the time I got home it was 7:15 & I was pretty well whooped.I didn't even bother to unload the last load of wood.I've got a few logs left that didn't fit on the trailer,so now I gotta go unload the trailer & go get those logs.I'm way behind on getting my wood supply in for the spring.Usually by now I've got 15-20 cord of wood in.I've only got about 6 cords in now.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday proved to be interesting.I went to get the cherry tree that my son & I had cut down last weekend.I took a Poulan 3400 & SP81.I had to quarter the logs to be able to load them & after not even one full cut with the Poulan I found that neither oiler was working.SP81 to the rescue.By the time I got home & unloaded the 2nd load of wood it was 5:00.I still had another ash tree to take down for another neighbor.I took my 81,Timber Bear,& 2 Homies.I dropped the ash with the Timber Bear & did most of the limbing with my little EZ.When it got to the bigger part of the tree I was going to finish it with the Timber Bear,but it got stuck in a cut & I tried to get the 81 fired up to cut out the TB.The 81 wouldn't start.I guess I flooded it.I ended up getting the little EZ fired up & getting the TB freed.I went to fire up the TB again & it wouldn't start.It was running all screwy from last week.It seemed I couldn't get it tuned properly.I replaced the FW seal last month & it was running fine,but now I believe I need to change the clutch side seal.
I managed to get the 81 fired up to finish up on the main stem of the tree.By the time I got home it was 7:15 & I was pretty well whooped.I didn't even bother to unload the last load of wood.I've got a few logs left that didn't fit on the trailer,so now I gotta go unload the trailer & go get those logs.I'm way behind on getting my wood supply in for the spring.Usually by now I've got 15-20 cord of wood in.I've only got about 6 cords in now.
Check your in box. I sent you a message.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went back to my neighbor's & got the rest of the ash.Then I called another elderly neighbor who's 87 & asked him if he still wanted me to take down his cherry tree.My lineup for today was the SP81 (like the AmEx card - don't leave home without it),Super 6-10A,& my Timber Bear (it just needed a carb adjustment & it runs great now).I used the 6-10 to drop the 3 main limbs,then the Timber Bear to cut up the bigger logs out of those limbs.The neighbor hauled the smaller branches through the unplanted cornfield to my house with his tractor.I used the 81 to cut down the main trunk of the tree & cut that up into logs I could handle.No red saws today & no problems.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, Hope all is well with everyone in the Mcculloch community, I'm looking for a good used HL103 carby
that i can toss a kit in and go. If anyone has one they can let go i'd really appreciate it.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, Hope all is well with everyone in the Mcculloch community, I'm looking for a good used HL103 carby
that i can toss a kit in and go. If anyone has one they can let go i'd really appreciate it.

I'll take a look for you today Lee - There's a good chance I have one in my HL box.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well guys,the Timber Bear that was pretty much seized (except for the engine) is all freed up now.The last thing that was seized was the OPL.I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench & let it set for the better part of a week & nothing happened.Today I started driving the pin out that holds the OPL in place & it seemed to loosen up a bit.I sprayed it on bottom & top with Deep Creep & started working it.It was getting better,but still quite sticky.I drove the pin back in & it got a little tighter,so I gave it another shot of Deep Creep.I noticed you don't really need a lot of that stuff.While I was grilling dinner I checked it again & it was working freely! Now I can put the carb back on & see if it'll run.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry Lee -

I struck out on an HL-103. I've got lots of 19s, 63s, 87s, and I've got a 108, 144, two 224s, a 244, and a 357E.

Thanks a bunch for looking Jacob but i really need a 103 carb to make this saw correct.

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks a bunch for looking Jacob but i really need a 103 carb to make this saw correct.
The carb that I thought was a 103 was actually a 163. Same story as Jacob, I've got several other hl carbs but not the 103. I'll be putting in a little work at a local saw shop this Friday and will check to see if there's one there. The shop owner just got in a small pile of old macs so maybe one is in the pile.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't even find a model HL 103 but I did find both a 163 A and B model which are 5/8" bore The closest being a model 104 which I think is 11/16" bore . I'm no expert but it might be one of those hybred rare crosses with the larger model HR's .What is it on ?

Attachments

• DSCN1115[1].JPG
    DSCN1115[1].JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 4

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't even find a model HL 103 but I did find both a 163 A and B model which are 5/8" bore The closest being a model 104 which I think is 11/16" bore . I'm no expert but it might be one of those hybred rare crosses with the larger model HR's .What is it on ?

Al -

It's the stock carb for the non-super 797. I think it's a pretty decent carb and probably easier to deal with than the Flatback carbs of that era.